Home General Discussion

UDK Cascade flipbooks

Hi all,

hope this is the right forum to ask such questions.
I'm a very beginner and trying to figure out why my flipbooks are not working to create fire in UDK Cascade. If I use pre-made flipbooks, everything works properly. I'm sure I'm missing a step while creating flipbooks.

I downloaded this Fire Set from CGtextures, and created this .tga file in Photoshop(the screenshot shows the pds file with all the layers still un-merged):
testsz.jpg

I'm not sure if I have to do anything else, I just tried to align them with rulers as good as possible, but if I import it to UDK, create a material and create a new particle system with the proper Sub UV settings, it creates a fire not even close looking to a fire, it's all messed up and doesn't seem to recognize WHERE the first, second, third etc. images start and end.

Any Ideas what I'm doing wrong? :)

Replies

• ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    Make sure each frame is a multiple of 2, so, a standard texture size (ie 256x256)
    I normally have all frames in a folder, for example 001.tga, 002.tga.
    Then use photoshop>automate>contact sheet II
    This will open a dialog to create a contact sheet. You should navigate to your folder containing your frames.
    you'll need to remove any padding and any text, and put in how many frames you want on X and Y (normally 4x4) It'll then say how big your frames will be (often it's 1 px out! but this hasn't caused me any issues) then let it do it's thing, and it should work.
  • sharky84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure each frame is a multiple of 2, so, a standard texture size (ie 256x256)
    I normally have all frames in a folder, for example 001.tga, 002.tga.
    Then use photoshop>automate>contact sheet II
    This will open a dialog to create a contact sheet. You should navigate to your folder containing your frames.
    you'll need to remove any padding and any text, and put in how many frames you want on X and Y (normally 4x4) It'll then say how big your frames will be (often it's 1 px out! but this hasn't caused me any issues) then let it do it's thing, and it should work.

Thanks, will try as soon as I'm home tonight.
  • sharky84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked perfect :)
    Thanks