Old (#1)
Hello polycounters,

Before I talk about the heli I just wanted to give a quick intro. I've been a longtime lurker of this site and have gained a lot of insight and inspiration from many members, especially over the last 12+ months as I've been overhauling my portfolio. My background in games started back in 2004 when I joined a PC mod called Desert Combat as a vehicle artist. This eventually lead to roles as an art supervisor for Kaos Studios where I worked for 6+ years until its closure last June.

Because my last supervising roles kept me fairly tied up, I was itching to take on a next gen spec vehicle from start to finish. The Russian Hind was one of my favorite helis as a kid so I decided to create a futuristic version that had its own unique look but still shared some resemblance to the Hind. I made deliberate attempts to give it an animalistic yet sleek and aggressive appearance. Hopefully this is conveyed.

There are a few more images on my site as well as higher res versions if you are interested: http://www.brianburrell.com/3dper_mi27r.html

Maya viewport 2.0 video capture:

Direct link to video: http://vimeo.com/34507513

Some more notes...

1) Software used = Maya, Mudbox (lots of detail sculpting w/ vdm), photoshop, xNormal(ao), ndo2/crazybump (minimal)

1) I didn't weld certain sections because I was planning to make a destruction version later on but ended up moving on to another project.

2) The texture specs in all of the images except the 2 mental ray renders above this post are: 2048x2048 set, 512x512 set and 256x256 for the glass. Diffuse, spec, gloss, and normalmaps used for the first two sets.

3) The poly count is around the 35k range with all moving parts and weapons included (target platform = next gen consoles)

4) In order to gain some slight visual boosts I used certain methods that were fairly time consuming and wouldn't exactly recommend them for normal game production

Thanks for checking out my work and feel free to post suggestions/crits if there are things that bug you. Since I haven't touched this in maybe 5+ months I already want to re-visit some areas but have been a bit too tied up with other projects.

Last edited by Bee-Bee; 06-19-2012 at 10:26 PM..
Offline , vertex, 39 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012, Location Sherman Oaks  

Old (#2)
Excelent work.
Offline , spline, 209 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012, Location France  

Old (#3)
this is awesome
Offline , triangle, 325 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012, Location Los Angeles  

Old (#4)
welllll, sheeeiiit....
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,838 Posts, Join Date May 2011, Location Minnesota, USA  

Old (#5)
Vimeo embedding is done like this:

Your portfolio is off the chain.

Last edited by Computron; 06-19-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,838 Posts, Join Date May 2011, Location Minnesota, USA  

Old (#6)
Thanks guys!
Computron , double thanks to you! I actually thought there was a ratio issue with embedding vimeo videos here so I'm glad that's not the case.
Offline , vertex, 39 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012, Location Sherman Oaks  

Old (#7)
Amazing work.

And I guess you are probably really good at solving puzzles :p

Last edited by joeriv; 06-19-2012 at 10:42 PM..
Offline , polygon, 740 Posts, Join Date Jan 2012, Location Belgium Send a message via Skype™ to joeriv  

Old (#8)
God damn haha
My portfolio http://lukapavlovich.carbonmade.com/ --- Add me on steam >>> tehsplatt
Offline , polygon, 559 Posts, Join Date Nov 2011, Location New Zealand Send a message via MSN to TehSplatt  

Old (#9)
wow, what a great combination of cool idea, fantastic design and a lot of endurance! I love it!
Offline , line, 55 Posts, Join Date Jan 2008, Location Germany / Frankfurt  

Old (#10)
Beautiful, the execution is mind blowing. Love the cockpit design and there really is an organic feeling to the chopper !
Offline , spline, 137 Posts, Join Date May 2011,  

Old (#11)
This is just SICK man, just SICK :O
I love this work, how long have u been working on this?
Offline , triangle, 307 Posts, Join Date Jan 2012, Location Slovakia Send a message via Skype™ to theSixtyEight  

Old (#12)
Saved, bookmarked and called the cops.

Awesome work
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,304 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009, Location Nottingham, UK Send a message via MSN to teaandcigarettes  

Old (#13)
just too awesome
Offline , polygon, 663 Posts, Join Date Sep 2010, Location The Netherlands Send a message via Skype™ to Rhoutermans  

Old (#14)
Holly shit! how did you do that UV layout? By hand? It makes me MAD...
Offline , triangle, 391 Posts, Join Date Jan 2010, Location Slovakia Send a message via Skype™ to cupsster  

Old (#15)
Uh wow haha, I was thinking damn this is up there with Polygoo/Alan's stuff, only to see you worked with him on Frontlines and Homefront. Excellent work! Not often you see people with this level of quality in vehicles.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,981 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location Stockholm, SE Send a message via MSN to Xoliul  

Old (#16)
hey i remember you. this is evan, i did that goliath in your portfolio for art bully as one of my first industry gigs yeeears ago. it's neat to see how it turned out after your edits.

the helicopter execution looks great. a truly autistic level of detail to the modeling even down to the interior, it looks like it was a ton of fun to model the high poly for the whole thing. the texture has some really awesome shapes as well--4096 is nuts. i'd love to see the full spec map to get a better sense of the thought process behind the materials.

you should have another job in no time.
freelance 3d artist and certified hood classic

http://www.racer445.com/
Offline , polycounter, 1,214 Posts, Join Date Jun 2008, Location the slums of shaolin  

Old (#17)
glorious work, damn that sexy beast
Offline , line, 68 Posts, Join Date Nov 2011, Location Prague  

Old (#18)
That's a mountain of work beautifully done. Awesome.
Offline , spline, 249 Posts, Join Date Jan 2011, Location UK, North West  

Old (#19)
THAT, it's a stunning work!
You're a killer! xD
Offline , line, 71 Posts, Join Date Feb 2010, Location France  

Old (#20)
Holy shit. Holy shit!
Incredible stuff, man. It's pretty much fantastic from concept to execution <3
Seriously, wow.
FlowMap Painter v0.9.2

teckArtist.com
LoTekK.com

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?" -DKK
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,398 Posts, Join Date Jan 2006, Location Singapore Send a message via MSN to LoTekK Send a message via Skype™ to LoTekK  

Old (#21)
Superb! Love your take on the hind, the whole thing is amazing.
www.env-art.com - Portfolio
Offline , triangle, 496 Posts, Join Date Jan 2011, Location UK  

Old (#22)
thats one sweet lookin chopper!
Offline , triangle, 256 Posts, Join Date Feb 2011, Location Sweden Send a message via MSN to Samfisher84  

Old (#23)
just. fuck. wow
Offline , polycounter, 913 Posts, Join Date May 2006, Location wellington. NZ Send a message via MSN to tacit math  

Old (#24)
Amazing, my only problem with it is I can't fly it!
Offline , triangle, 401 Posts, Join Date Aug 2011, Location Ottawa, Canada  

Old (#25)
That is freaking beautiful. Amazing work!
Offline , spline, 140 Posts, Join Date Apr 2011, Location Toronto, Canada