Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arena Net Art Test [WIP] Norn Male- Woogity

decided to throw my hat in here...

Doing the Norn Male. So started blocking stuff in. Using ref of the actual ingame models of the characters it seems the Norn are built much more like worlds strongest man contestants than depicted in the concept. So I am going to go more that direction. Still have to do some wolves and an epic beard/ hair-do, but thought Id share at this point.

1%20copy.jpg
1106p1strong_man19.jpg
med.jpg

Replies

• Loraine Howard iii
    Good start Woogity, I think his arm sleeve is to thick. How did you get those details wrapped around the circle armor plates near the waist?
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Nice start. I think the different parts in his clothing are smaller/more slim though. You could try to make the clothes a bit smaller so that his body appears larger. Don't forget to make his face slightly more feminine too, the ref you're using right now is very masculine. ;)
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loraine: Thanks for the input! i narrowed the sleeve down a bit to be more form fitting (good catch btw!). For the plates... Im old-school with my hard surface, I just modeled em and used smoothing groups import to keep the select edges hard. as seen below.

RiotForQuiet: Thanks man! I totally think that image should be a meeme!

Saman: Thanks ill try to lady him up a bit haha! the ref image is super manly, but the dudes in GW2 do look ALOT softer...not sure if I want him grissled or not yet :\ I slimmed up a few of the details. I think once the tubes that currently represent the fur get a little love it should bring his volume down a bit.

progress...now with wolves!

2-1.jpg

hip%20plates%20breakdown.jpg

-Woog
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    last one for the day...must sleep...

3.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    hahaha. You are smashing it!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    looking good there...
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duncan: Thanks man! means lots from guys with your skillz!

Garriola: Thanks man!

Mostly done with the hp, except for the fur, any areas that dont seem worked on yet, are the result of them being proxy for something elsewhere that will be mad easier to re-mesh at the origin. maybe fur tonight? maybe taking a break...

4.jpg

-Woog
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    lookin gooood! the arms have some good shapes to them
  • s33th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, really digging the forms you've got going on especially the arms and hands. Also the little details that you've changed from the concept really give your model its own cohesive look and feel.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, looks awesome! I love how you're going about the armor/clothing, it's looking gorgeous. Keep it up!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    oh you`re making him too huh, great job so far

only crit i can give is that the ornaments around the stomach look a tad too small

keep it up, cant wait to see how you approach the fur
  • Graze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Graze polycounter lvl 6
    Incredible, nothing more to add.
  • sofabound
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sofabound polycounter lvl 9
    This is the bomb-diggity dude... Great work!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More on this, had to take the week off till today to do some contract stuff and a different art test:poly127:. Should be aiming to finish by the end of next week if all goes well now. The tubes on the skirt are just placeholder for a sculpted one at the origin, way easier to make symmetrical and remesh. So the tubes around the arms and waist will be unique, otherwise the rings on the arms and boots are the same as is the collar and waist ring. I noticed the plates on the hips are in the wrong place for the concept...ill fix once its all nice and lowpoly.

Ged: Thanks so much man!
    S33th: Thanks man! i think the changes from the concept are the result of the concept being a little unclear XD. Your piece is looking really nice too man! love the proportions!
    Torch: Thanks d00d! I SHALL!
    Stoop_Kid: Thanks for the motivation! ill defiantly finish it just had to take a few days off!
    Ravenslayer: Thanks man! good crit I scaled those pieces up a bit, your totally right about the size. fur is nothing exciting from me, just clay tubes, dam standard, trim D, and move. Wanted to make them chunky given the budget. Ps: your fur solution is looking tight man, love how the test bakes went nice style.
    RiotForQuiet: Thanks dude!
    Graze: haha many thanks!
    sofabound:Thank ya kindly sir!

6-1.jpg
    5-1.jpg

and a gif just for fun.

1.gif

-Woog
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Really phenomenal work woog, I really love your approach to fur and his overall mass!
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Very solid. Good luck with the finish.
  • dwgagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwgagner polycounter lvl 7
    I like a lot of what's going on here though I feel like the back of your design loses a lot of interest compared to the amount of stuff that's going on in the front. Particularly in an MMO type game where the player will be spending 90% of their time behind their character it wouldn't hurt to put some extra effort into making the back feel close to as interesting as the front.
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    Looking super boss! I especially like the face and the hair detail. Good luck with the test!
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    woah awesome stuff woog! I like the way you're approaching the fur.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    this is so good it makes me actually want to hug you

this looks like the kind of video game character I would have just been amaaaaazed by as a kid - still am amazed by it tbh but you know what I mean, wow

I suppose this is what can happen when you have a great concept with excellent execution, this is my favorite male video game character I've seen since the playstation one era
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    Looking great! My only suggestion would be to make the mirroring a little less apparent on the fur on the back of the belt. Can't wait to see it finished!
  • joymepls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    realy nice sculpt. love design and work on details.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    This is looking like a flawless victory sir, can't wait to see the final low poly textured!
  • turistainc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turistainc polycounter lvl 9
    Outstanding work. Good luck!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow..im speachless! thanks for the support guys! Still calling this Work in progress till probably tomorrow., but need a break to make sure im not missing anything.

Dwgager: yea i totally agree, i love the way tera handles their armors, tho their budgets are waaaay the hell higher. If i had more time i would defiantly address the back more, but for now i think it will serve.

Pancakes: im not opposed to hugs...(no glomping)

please let me know where you think i could improve this. Submitting it tomorrow.:poly127:

Test.jpg

and thrown in marmo

Texture%20WIP-1.jpg

-Woog
  • El Scorcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great, I think the Max version looks better. Looks more like the concept value wise. It looks blown out in marmo and is losing subtleties. Wouldn't hurt to push the contrast even further too. Good luck dude!!
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    nice work!

but the materials and lighting in marmoset could use some work, also you have some quite obvious seams, like ON TOP OF THE BOOTS, why didn't you put that into the inside side of lower leg? Also why is the mirrorseam of those haninging straps of white fur in front and not on the sides of it so its less obvious? I would totally twist those by a few degrees. Another thing i would consider texturingwise is adding a bit of AO to give it some depth and tying everything closer together, like the sleeve on his biceps or from the skirt to his legs etc.

but anyways its a solid piece, but with a bit more love it would really be great.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox: ...wow man haha i KNEW there was a reason i posted this before submitting, great GREAT crits. easy fixes too. as for the foot seam, i was thinking the buckles and fur would cover it...in hindsight i should have unwrapped the top of the foot based on the seam covered by the fur...at least its in the foot...fur tubes much better rotated as suggested.

itismemario: Thanks man tweaked the lights a bit in marmo, i usually texture with bluesky on because it makes it extremely easy to see everything, but you are totally right washed it out too much, switched to the regular sunlight and tweaked some settings, added a few other lights for color its much better. Certainly looks better with the leopard print tweaks you suggested too.

El Scorcho: great crit man tweaked the contrast and upped the ao a little, i usually crank it down to about 20% for texturing, and in this case needed to bring it back up a bit.

Update. this will be final unless i get a crit in the next couple of hours, thanks again for the feedbacks guys.
    texture%20WIP%202.jpg

-woog
  • s33th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet, congrats on finishing him up.

If you still haven't submitted him 2 things I noticed in this last shot - the shadows on his eyes are really harsh right now, probably just as simple as tweaking your shadow colors.
    and his hairline is a bit abrupt a bit of shadowing in the diffuse or a bit of hair to ground it some.

Very nice work - I really like how the leather on that sleeve turned out and your color choices really make all the different elements pop.

Good luck man!
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    This is very nice. There is some weirdness around the hair in the max version but it's nowhere in the other versions.

How long will this art test last by the way? I can't find a deadline anywhere.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s33th: Thanks for sneaking that in, hair occlusion is much better, added a small weak light to counter the harsh shadows by the eyes, hopefully it dosnt ruin the contrast elsewhere.

Blaken: 3point shader does weird things with alpha at a distance i think.

Thanks again to all you l33t bastards for your awesome crits and support!

Final:

MattDavis_GWArtTest_.jpg

-Woog
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really good Woogity,

have you submitted yet? maybe it's just my monitor but the darker brown fur could really use some more highlights/variation as right now it just blends in to the rest of the outfir.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    Is there a point to starting my own take now? How far is the deadline?

The site doesn't mention anything about it right now, and I'd rather not get into this if the deadline's too close.
  • dwgagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwgagner polycounter lvl 7
    Interesting take on it, very stylized, not really sure if it would fit in the Guildwars 2 universe though as they tend to lead a little more towards realism. Also I would recommend spending some more time on your spec map, right now it feels like it's the same throughout, almost like he's made of chocolate. Or maybe it's the fur making me think of chocolate I'm not sure but I would push those material differences in the spec more.