Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Glock 18

IsparticusI
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
IsparticusI polycounter lvl 8
The point of this project for me is to continue to work on my texturing skills. So far i just have some of the base model done, but il be posting pics as i go along. Feel free to comment!!

ub676.jpg
TikZl.jpg

Replies

• IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gunna take a lil more time to look around to see if im missing anything but i might call the high poly done

uhgEx.jpg
    wre69.jpg
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, sorry for the delayed response on this one-I was messing around with that Xoliul Shader install.

So what I did was set up a simple three-point light system. Main light bright, back-light very bright, fill not so bright and a slight yellow color to it. I chose to make the main light slightly blue.

I rendered it in Mental Ray, using the Ceramic Material that ships with it(the second setting). I will have more time to give you more details when I get back from work and I can actually look at it. Other than that, I overlayed either a light tracer render, or an AO, (which MAX12 also ships with) in Photoshop.

If you have questions, let me know in here. I am at work all day and will be jumping in here frequently.
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, yea that sounds like a pretty good setup. Like i said, ive used eat3d's tactic of overlaying ao's onto a simple grey material, just altered it a bit. But yea in that setup, i just simply used a skylight and a standard, so ill have to mess around with that, thanks man! il post a few pics on here when i get it setup, and get my lazy ass into the school :)
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The AO from the noise grain on the handle seems to organic, should it not be more uniform and less organic? Otherwise looking good. :poly142:
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    i agree with Ravanna. the grip seems like its made out of sponge rather than polymer.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    agreed with Ravanna, the noise looks kinda like a sponge rather than a manmade grip pattern.

Also, the Glock 18 has a compensator hole on the top of the slide:

Glock-18C-top.jpg
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it makes it easier for the final render just throw a fine noise map together and use it as your bump for it, rather than that piece modeled out. It isn't really necessary to model out that fine detail. Kind of like with a character, it isn't necessary to model out pores because your normal map and diffuse will take care of it (using zbrush to make pores).
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys and gals for all the feedback so far. I'm not sure, but it may have been just the default realistic shader in max that made it look like a sponge but you guys can determine that if ya want.. But i definitely see what you guys are saying. here is just some simple renders without the realistic shader on, but first is the reference i was using for the side handle

WUWmq.jpg

mine..
    WaKzV.jpg

And Ace, you probably know more about guns than i do, but does every g-18 have that or just certain ones? here is the reference i was using for the top..

1qmfT.jpg

mine..
    pFVyC.jpg
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea Pointer thats what i was thinking too. really its not meant for a high poly showcase so its not that big of deal, i thought i might just dable with mudbox for once :)
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, nice. This is looking really good. This reference has a different handle so I think you basically got it. Also, I was wondering about the roundness of the edges but this gun reference has rounded edges-looks really good there. I am seeing some noise around the base of the gun too-which you could easily fake again with another bump map (can you tell I like bump maps).

Lastly, I noticed that the texture you are trying to reproduce looks like a stucco pattern you would see on a house. There is a lot of noise in images of stucco so if you want to replicate this look with a bump map just blur the image a bit in Photoshop, play with the contrast, duplicate the stucco because it really looks layered in your reference, do a very simple unwrap of the handle (x-plane unwrap should do it), align that unwrap with the texture you create in Photoshop, remove the excess and boom, it's done. This took me about 15 minutes to do.

Nobody likes going back and changing geometry though so if you don't want to go with this method I COMPLETELY get it.

Material is looking solid too.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    in your viewport shot the grip material looks a lot better, but it looks distorted, looking a bit blurry in the middle and a bit squashed up and smaller at the bottom. I'm not sure how you've made this pattern, but I would recommend doing it in zbrush more uniformly or just using photoshop and generating a normal from that.

As for the compensator at the top, I'm not sure if it's on every G18, but it's certainly on most, and would be a fairly defining aesthetic characteristic, seperating it from other glocks along with the fire selector, so if it's not too late, I would definately look into putting in in. Though I'm no gun expert, and you've probably looked at a lot more glocks making this than i have critting it so if you have ref without one, I'm sure you're right.

As for that reference, I'm not sure that's a glock 18 at all, as you can't see the fire selector on the left hand side and yet you can see the slide release, so I would imagine you would be able to if it was there, though i could be wrong...
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, what a simple google search will do, g-18 top view, and yup you are correct sir! thank you for pointing that out. I have no deadline so i fixed it up real quick, no big deal goin back :poly124:
    lyAih.jpg

But yea, as far as the handle, im gunna see how it turns out in the bake, and if not il cut it out and go the way that you said Pointer. I'll actually probably mix some sort of stucco and galvenized metal and combine the two and overlay it onto the normal, but yea well see how it turns out, started the low not to long ago:thumbup:
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, you spit that update out pretty quick-nice work!
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had to take a break over the weekend for stupid work :) but had some time to get the low poly done, and do a test bake. just a simple 512 for now..

WDJpq.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    looking gewd, but you have some issue on the bake on the slide...keep it up
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spent a lil more time, cleaning up the bake at higher res.

Low poly+bake...

d7uR9.jpg

GvR9s.jpg
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good. Someone passed this link to me which is very helpful for texturing. Not sure if you have started that part of it, but this should help. http://www.nextgenhardsurface.com/in...ageid=racer445
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    when youre not baking...hide your hi poly, it would help you out in navigating and such
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    the detail on the grip looks pretty weird.. kind of like a sponge or something
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    the normals on some parts are freaking out a bit, are you using 1 smoothing group for the slide? If so, you're going to have to add more geometry to make the shift in normals less dramatic, or add in more smoothing groups.

Currently the slide and the front rail are looking a little wonky normal wise, you can't just apply a single smoothing group to the entire model
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys,

ace- yea i've got one smoothing group for the slide, but the stretched look is actually done on purpose to make a basic scratched metal look using the normals, but i haven't decided whether or not im going to keep that. for the smoothing groups, each part is in 1 smoothing group, but the whole gun itself is not all one smoothing group obviously..
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I take it you figured out the seem issue.haha
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    yea i really wouldn't do that, split up smoothing groups when the geometry goes over a 90 degree angle, or use a few bevels.

Also, the glock 18 is 9mm, not 10mm, slide should read as follows:

glock18.jpg
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaah, mucho gracias senor! and yea, usually i change up the smoothing groups based on 90 degree's but il take another look into it :)