Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Wharehouse/factory environment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Strkl polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys, I'm doing another environment during my spare time, and I'm struggling with it

So the base inspiration was this screenshot from Ghost recon FS
ghost-recon-online.ru_future-soldier-screenshots-040.jpg

I then did a quick concept (That I may finish some day...)

GR_concept001.jpg

and another one more detailed

enviro02_concept02.jpg

(And little walkthrough animated-gif there ^^)

I started doing some props (still working on it)

3d_props_by_astroukoff-d50cxz7.jpg

And started the actual scene :

A lot of things are placeholders (Big white boxes = containers, etc), and I suck at doing shader, so there's plenty of work to do here,

udkGrab001.jpg
udkGrab002.jpg
udkGrab003.jpg

I was doing some experiments, and found that a night time scenario could be nice, It does have a little bit more personnality I think

udkGrabNight004.jpg

udkGrabNight005.jpg

(Please note that the skys are from Epic, but everything else was made by me)

I would love to hear what do you think, night or day ? What's the best...Any crit is welcome :poly121:

Replies

• Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Night time. I like the look better at night, I think if you do the lighting right it can be really moody with a lot of "hot" intensely lit areas and some "cold" barely lit areas where Lightmass does it's thing (unless your going 100% Real Time).

I think everything else is pretty good so far for where your at. I'd really worry about the shaders later. Set up a master material with all of your options and mess with them at a later state once you get your props in. Might make it go faster.
  • Skybex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skybex polycounter lvl 6
    Looks like a good start. I really like the concepts your working from.

Personally I would prefer to see a daytime scene. Its a lot easier then to see your assets and how they are placed in the scene, In a night time scene a lot of your work will get obscured by dark shadows.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    The props are looking good. I'd watch for small details around the ground level like concrete mounds that the I-beams should rest on, and if you add pipes to the edges of your chainlink they'll look much better.

I think mostly that your scene lighting isn't good and it's hurting the effect. The colour in the fluorescents near the door is too strong and the lighting/shadow from the sky is too strong. The sky should always be brighter than the ground and if you have strong cloud cover or it's night then you shouldn't have harsh shadows. Here's what I mean:

Nw8zM.gif
  • Strkl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks a lot for the responses guys, I'll definitely take account of those ,:)
  • Strkl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    Finally found time to work on it again
    udkGrab006.jpg

udkGrab004.jpg

udkGrab005.jpg

udkGrab008.jpg

udkGrab007.jpg

udkGrab009_TopView.jpg
  • MystiqueX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MystiqueX polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good so far. I prefer the day scene. Love the broken windows!