Home Technical Talk

Smoothing groups from max to zbrush

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Notes polycounter lvl 4
Been searching around for a solution but havent found out how to get the smoothing groups out of 3dsMax and into zbrush. Even checking the option to export the smoothing groups as part of file doesn't seem to work.
Same goes for the supporting edges used for SubD modeling as well....when these are imported into zbrush and sub divided, all my hard edges are rounded out and all my smoothing groups aren't recognized....what am I missing???

thanks

Replies

• igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    There's no smoothing groups in zbrush.Because Zbrush obtains the smooth appearance from very high amount of polygons.
    Zbrush subdivision is basically works like 3dsmax turbosmooth modifier.Just set up support edges and divide your meshes into the equal sized quads(this is so important to get detail consistency all over the model to be sculpted).In geometry tab you can also divide your model with smooth tab unchecked.Or use crisp edges option.Both methods would give you some crispier edges.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    This workflow seems to work well for getting smoothed edges from Max to ZBrush (using smoothing groups). This method doesnt use support edges, instead it works similar to the crease command in ZBrush.

1: Select your mesh in Max and apply a Turbosmooth modifier to it. Crank it up to a level of 2 and check the "Smooth by smoothing groups" option.
    2: Going back down the stack list, apply smoothing groups in the "Edit poly" stage. To get a hard edge, make sure that adjacent polys have different smoothing groups. The smoothing information will now be retained on your mesh without using support edges.
    3: Use GoZ to take the mesh into ZBrush (Turn off Isoline display otherwise it will export the mesh as tri's not quads).
    4: In the geometry panel in ZBrush, use the Reconstruct Subdiv command to recreate your level 1 and 2 geometry (Base mesh before Turbosmooth).
    5: Subdivide in ZBrush to your delight :).

Hope this helps.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Big thanks to both of you!!! Both techniques worked for both situations I've had

Baj, your God of Beasts looks badass!!!!
  • preiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    found another way to translate smoothing groups from max to zbrush.

1.create smooth groups in 3dmax
    2. run script from here http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=297006
    (in last post)
    it is create and assign separate material to each smooth group
    3. in zbrush preferences-import/export set import mat as groups
    4. export model with GoZ
    5. then go to geometry/crease and press "create PG" (zbrush4 r6)

now you have crease borders over polygroups which was defined by materials from max
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth

I just use bobotheseal's shared wayyy back when, info a long time ago,

1. Create smoothing groups,
    2. Check subdivide, so do it in MAX 1st
    3. About 3-5 SUBD levels,
    4. Import into zbrush,
    5. If you want it sharp hit it once(1) without the smoothing option in zbrush,
    6. then re-enable it in zbrush and hit it again as you need.

It is what i do, i like fast results, but these new ones with material options are a neat addition if i ever need that kind of stuff, also to make things "quicker if you need vertex paint, its pretty quick there also, i think there is some vertexcolor auto id generator script out there somewhere. Edit2#: kind of dislike how some people will make a script or have in the past and it locks others out of creating similar scripts especially if they never update or suddenly change it to $ or disappear from the net, die,ect.. At least we have the options ourselvs to still preform the actions even if a whole lot slower.

(perhaps they frequent the forums, otherwise seems to be donation locked, plugin)

Edit: or perhaps one of our active forum, scripters can help us out with their own version.

I might have it on some collection somewhere on a c.d. but oy, cd's, who does that, now right…Thanks for sharing.

Edit#3: i suppose this is the equivalent to v colors? but in zbrush not max, https://floon.gumroad.com/