Home Technical Talk

learning normal maps (3ds max)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bcottage polycounter lvl 13
So i have modded a low and a high poly trash can to start off the learning process of normal maps.

fqzmd.png

i have 3 smoothing groups on the low poly and have the high poly all turbo smoothed. Am i now ready to unwrap or is there something i have done wrong or need to change?

Replies

• respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Looks good to me, i assume there is not bottom ? anyway your uv islands need to correspond to the smoothing groups, so for more complex objects i'd suggest you unwrap first and just use a script, uv islands to smoothing groups.
    I added some more tips.
    jImLf100SaT5E.jpg
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh so each individual piece in the unwrap has to have a different smoothing group?

So say if i wanted to split the lid into 2 pieces for the unwrap they would both have to have their own smoothing group.

Does this mean that for complicated models you can have 100s of different smoothing groups?
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    good start! respawnrt gave some good suggestions on mesh optimization.

All i have to say is try and keep your high poly details on and angle like this
    __/```\__ and NOT like __|```|__ specifically the details on the lid and the very bottom trim. The reason you put stuff like that on an angle is because when you bake the normal map, if you don't have a high enough texture res, you'll never see it.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    @bcottage You dont need 100s, you just have to alternate the ones you use. so instead or 1,2,3,4... you can have 1,2,1,2...
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooooo i see! so like the lid say 3 separate uv pieces can have like 1,2,3 or 1,2,1 as long as they are not the same and touching? if that makes sence?

yea, i am going to do all the suggestions tomorrow :)

In terms of the high poly 90 degree angle..if it is a 90 degree angle and is turbo smoothed..is that ok or do i have to like chanfer the 90 degree angle first then turbo smooth?

Thanks for the fast replys tho guys, means alot :)
  • respawnrt
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this what you mean by the seperate smoothing groups?

This is the lid that i have unwraped..

9ByS5.png
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No no wait.That lid you would normally unwrap as one island.Dunno why you try like this .So that one island must get a smoothing group different from the rest of the islands.Just unwrap that in one island and hit relax and it will be fine.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    If this is going into UDK one smoothing group will give you problems with lightmass or if you plan to LOD the asset the gradients generated on your normal map will potentially be a problem.

A combination of bevels, UV islands and well placed seams are your best bet. Round hard surfaces are also a bastard to normal map and not as simple as they may initially appear :).

If you havnt already read over this thread

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154

it explains much of what you are asking extremely well.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou again for the replys guys.

So i understand now that a uv island is like a seperate model...so the lid = 1 uv island which means it should just have 1 smoothing group.

The base of the trash can = 1 island so that again = 1 smoothing group and so on.

I think i am starting to understand?
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have also made the lid edges not 90 degrees anymore but the polycount has shot up :/

Could i just have one edge in the middle? or is the way i have done it correct?

kGLJy.png
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i have applied a different smoothing group to the 3 different pieces. At the moment the smoothing is set to standard "45.0" Would this be ok? or have i hit another crossroad?

Mlv2m.png
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think mostly the issues you are having here are due to many of the "rules" being situational. Meaning they change depending on the asset, the engine, how you will be viewing the model etc.

The best way to learn this is to just make art and bake out maps, make many and try them in different engines and very quickly you will come to understand how and why.

Also I put togeather a quick image to help explain this comment of yours

"So i understand now that a uv island is like a seperate model...so the lid = 1 uv island which means it should just have 1 smoothing group."

uvislands.jpg

The image is one model, and each UV island in the unwrap window has a separate smoothing group. Break your UV's at each hard edge created by a smoothing group, bevel the hard edges you don't want to break on your UV's and to reduce UV seams.

I would start with a model similar to the attached image, bake and see what it looks like. Chances are i might end up adding a two or three ring bevel to the base if the Trashcan's dynamic and can be knocked over making the seam more visible or the bake produces overly wavy normal maps.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou for your long post, much appreciated. I have done exactly what you have said and this is what it looks like:

7HjON.png

The extra spheres are the underneath of the lid and one for the near top of the trash for rubbish purpose.

which means i have:

1 = main base of trash can
    2 = bottom of trash can
    3= handle
    4 = lid
    5 = rubbish

I am on holiday from tomorrow but when i come back i will be ready to bake and see what happens :)
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i just arrived back from holiday and thought i would go straight into where i left off.

I have baked my first normal maped trash can and these are the results in crazt bump...

I obviously have a few questions... and have posted screen grabs to show.

1. from this angle my trash can looks about right yea?
    2. half way around i have a seem going straight down the middle which what i gather from my uvw seem? is there a way to make it seemless?
    3. why from this angle is the top so borked?

vSzgq.png

OCxgq.png

cbHc0.png
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And this is my normal map....the bottom and the the part in the middle didnt show up in my normal map because the low poly and the high poly and the same so im guessing thats normal?

hCG5X.png
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Display it in max, i don't know if crazybump is the wisest choice to show the object in.It's the first time i'm seeing someone doing this.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is this what you mean?

PuVhM.png
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    no use a proper shader, and apply the normalmap in your 3d pacakge.

or the even better thign to do, is view it in a game engine, get it in udk or toolbag and take a look at it.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    my bad if its not what you are looking for.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZESBJPvesA"]How to Bake a Flawless Normal Map in 3ds Max.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

but i know it will greatly help to solve some issues your having, especially the one on third picture above this post :)
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a bad first bake :), a few things to get started.

trashcanseam01.jpg

Could be any number of things causing this. Few ideas

You want to make sure you have padding checked on when you bake, and that your UV islands have enough space between each other and the edges of the 0-1 space for padding.

Did you use a cage when you baked? if so whats that looking like? cage problems would explain the issues with the lid as well.

I have no idea what crazybump is like at displaying normals, its possible that it displays normals inaccurately and has offset them.

UV's could have been mistakenly moved between baking and previewing?

Additionally consider this when making your UV's and thinking about seams.

trashcanlid01.jpg
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou for the quick replys guys. This forum has provided me with the most help, i can not thankyou enough.

I spent all day yesterday getting my head around this normal map business. i have tryied 2 different methods

1. xnormal
    2. baking in 3dsmax with projection cages.

I get pretty much the exact same results.

The lid: i am still getting the tiny triangle like you see in my previous post..could this mean that the size of the high poly is wrong? or could i paint out the triangles? Even when i change the uvs of the lid like you guys said i am still getting a weird normal map result on the edges of the lid?

The main body: i dont seem to get that offset normal map when in the 3ds max viewport...only seems to be a crazy bump thing.

handle: handle i think is fine to me?

One more thing...

Whats the best way to view normal maps? a shader in max, udk, marmoset?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the best way to view normalmaps, is in the game engine your making the asset for.

so if your making it for udk preview it in udk.

your previewing it in CB is prolly the worst way to do it., and if you really want to preview in max, use a good shader like.

http://xoliulshader.com/

or

http://www.3pointstudios.com/3pointshader_about.shtml
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "The lid: i am still getting the tiny triangle like you see in my previous post..could this mean that the size of the high poly is wrong? or could i paint out the triangles? Even when i change the uvs of the lid like you guys said i am still getting a weird normal map result on the edges of the lid?"

Its hard to see clearly from the images posted but it does look like your lowpoly may not be centered on your highpoly? and that it needs to match your high poly more closely. Also make sure your cage is a tight fit.

Here are a few images Linked from Earthquakes incredible post that outlines your problem much better than i can. I recommend you have another quick read over the posts within his thread that contain the images posted below.http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154

waviness05.jpg

cylinder_sides.jpg

to sum up, match your low/high as best you can and consider dropping the bevel for more geo around the lid. You will still get some waviness due to the shape but it should be much reduced.

"The main body: i dont seem to get that offset normal map when in the 3ds max viewport...only seems to be a crazy bump thing." nice one, problem solved :thumbup:.

"handle: handle i think is fine to me?" looks good so far.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE!!

passerby:
    I took your advice and downloaded http://xoliulshader.com/ ....my god its a beautiful shader.

It actually turned out that 80% of my problems was the shaders i was using.

Lennyagony:
    Thankyou for the link..i made my high poly slightly bigger and it decreased the triangles by loads!

Again..i thank everyone in this forum for being there for me, i have learnt such a lot and i will be posting up more updates soon.

This is the result so far....(remember this is my first normal map model so be gentle :p)

SyqQ3.png
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My next question is:

How do you know if the green channel is flipped?

I use x normal to bake my normals and my eye is just not trained enough to see if the green channel is meant to be flipped or not? is there a trick to this?

PjM4G.png
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the easy way to figure it out, is to move the light around, to the left or the right of the objects, and look at where the shadows and highlights are., also if your using xoliulshader, there is a checkbox to flip it. and in xnormal in the normalmap settings there is the swizzle.

+x +y +z is no flipped green, +x -y +z means it;s baking with a flipped green channel.

so if you bake with -y check off flip green channel in your shader, if you baked with +y dont check it.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage wrote: »

This is the result so far....(remember this is my first normal map model so be gentle :p)

Looking nice bcottage, and even more importantly nice progression. Looking forward to see your future works :)
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby

Thankyou for explaining to me about the green channel. I looked at x normal and everything is set to +x +y +z so i dont know why half of my models normals are flipped? because the settings have been the same all along? i need to investigate..

Lennyagony

Thankyou dude means alot :). i am going to spend this summer getting my head around normal maps then i will model something impressive so stay tuned lol

anyway..this is my progression on the textures..

its currently 1024x1024...massive i know but i intend to shrink to 512x512 or even 256x256 once i am finished :)

ZrZy6.jpg
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What the hell is going on here? i seem to have weird creases in my normal map?

v8Bgh.png
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bump, still havent found out why my normal map looks like tissue :s
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nor do we!

But we could guess wildly, if you like?

One possible option is that you've got a detail normalmap loaded?