Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Ignizione Racing

For my final graduation project we (Me and MEGALOS) chose to create a racetrack in UDK in realistic style in the mountains and fjords of Norway. We are making quiet some progress now. I want some feedback and tips how we could push this level a step higher.

wip_1.jpg

I have still some trouble in getting a nice soft falloff in with the DOF. Also i'm a bit unsure about the colors. Are they not too saturated? We also made a car to race in the track. We still need to texture the car.

car_1.jpg

Thanks for your time and the good tips, tricks, tutorials and wonderfull people here on polycount.

PS.:On our blog there are some more wip shots of assets if you are interested you can visit ignizioneracing.blogspot.com

Replies

• Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Looks pretty nice, but yeah I'd say a little too much saturation. Our environment modeling teacher says it's important not to go over 90% saturation, and that red is really popping. Save that intense red for a part of the track where the player might get confused. Say the road takes a sudden left turn, but it's hard to see. Maybe put the red house at that corner so the player knows there's an object there and they have to make a turn. Our teacher tells us that it's important to use more intense colours to sort of direct a player (think of a glowing green light at the end of a hallway). I'm not sure if I worded that in a way that makes sense...Also, the water is very blue and the grass is very green and so it kind of makes it seem artificial

Loving the car model and the canoes :)
  • Roelant
    Super thanks for your reaction. Toned down the saturation a bit. Also the texture of the house. I think the house has now too less saturation. So i will tweak that later on so the color of the house is better. Also adjusted the DOF by making is a little less stronger. And added some new shots for you.

wip_2.jpg

wip_3.jpg

wip_4.jpg
  • Xendance
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    How are you handling that huge amount of trees? How many draw calls is that scene on average?

(use stat d3d9rhi or stat d3d11rhi)
  • Roelant
    Well I know this are a hell of a lot of trees. The average drawcalls is 12500. Maybe you have some tips or tricks to help gaining performance on those trees?
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Combine them into groups of meshes. MassiveLOD for example. Also don't use specular on them (turn of "Use Lightmap Specular" in the material) as spec adds a second drawcall to an object in unreal.

It looks good for the most part, but that house really stands out. The scale of the windows looks off, it looks bulky and oversimplified. I'd look into refining it a bit more.
  • Roelant
    Thanks for the info. I will refactor the houses tomorrow. Will also look at massive LOD and the material. I will keep you updated.
  • MEGALOS
    Offline / Send Message
    MEGALOS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the feedback guys, means alot to us.

@Xoliul; You're right about the house and the windows, I'll get into that. Hope to post some updates soon!
  • PHaynes888
    I don't know if this is a design focused project, but I did a bit of track work for a few years. It was the design part but I think I can probably give you some advice on that and the art side too

- The road looks really clean, like it's just been laid. I'd dirty it up a bit, add a little wear and tear

- I can't tell so much from the angle of the screenshots but it looks like that house is set back from the road and hidden behind some trees. We used to try to maximise scenes like this to make the most of them and so the player had some recognisable landmarks to race past. Anything to avoid the monotony of racing past countless trees basically. Similarly with the lake, have breaks in the trees so the player can see it, though it seems like you have that covered already

- Maybe could use some armco/barriers to break up the sides of the track a bit. That and the occasional layby or runoff area. It'll help hide the fact that the blend between grass and road is quite repetitive

- Bring the 2d grass up to the road side, it all seems set back at the moment, this again will help cover the texture blends. Make sure it's patchy and not a straight line of grass all the way down the side.

- You could also raise the road up a bit, the transition from grass to concrete seems quite flat at the moment, some real life reference for how concrete generally appears on these roads suggests there's some height to it:

IMG_0655.JPG

- Maybe add a little life to the scenes you put around the track, smoke coming out of the house chimneys for example, to show someone is at home

- Maybe look at the sharp blend between water and mountain, check this for ref:

TellUs_1361_98_large.jpg
  • Xendance
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Roelant wrote: »
    Well I know this are a hell of a lot of trees. The average drawcalls is 12500. Maybe you have some tips or tricks to help gaining performance on those trees?

As Xoliul said: Combine meshes

For your interest, the max draw call amount that Epic recommends with UE 3 is 2000. Otherwise you're getting severely CPU limited.
  • Roelant
    Thanks for all the wonderfull feedback. Really usefull info. We made a lot of changes and already graduated with the project. We are still doing the last finishing touches for the project. And we are proud that we are actually able to drive the car throught the racetrack. Here some screenies. Feedback is still welcome.

screen_2.jpg

screen_3.jpg

screen_1.jpg

screen_4.jpg

screen_6.jpg

screen_7.jpg
  • Orangeknight
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome! I saw that church and thought skyrim, I feel the purple on the houses feels wierd. Maybe just make it a simple wood brown.
  • Roelant
    Thanks for your comment! Will tweak the color of the houses. It is meant to be red but after you saying it is purple I now see that the color is not that perfect. Thanks.
  • Roelant
    poster.jpg

Made a poster. Hope you like it.
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    looks nice, but what's up with the unnaturally cold lighting?
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Not big on the poster, just looks like a render of a car on the environment with a shadow on it. Have a look at some of the Need for Speed covers. The car on the poster could have a more dynamic angle to it and maybe some more colour variation. I agree with Blaisoid; the lighting is very cold.
  • Roelant
    Thanks for the feedback. I will look at the angle of the car. The lighting is very cold because of the nordic feeling that I wanted to give the environment as well as the poster.