Home Technical Talk

How do I stop photoshop from applying layer effects at the edge of my texture.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Hey so I see that this is possible in nDO2 by ticking a box, but how do I keep Photoshop from doing this, for example I have applied bevel/emboss to a brick pattern, but at the edges of my texture it creates a seam. Is there any way around this?

Replies

• Fisher007
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisher007 polycounter lvl 8
    This is a special 3D (and even more a game art) thing, but Photoshop isn't a 3D art tool, so usually it doesn't have specific things like that. Ndo is an other thing, it is used predominantly by game artists.
    The bevel (and other layer effects too) happens where the layer has a pixel next to an empty pixel, so at the borders of the layer's data basically. It isn't related in any way with the document's borders.

I would say you could just delete it by hand. Duplicate the layer, press ctrl+a, right click with the marquee tool, refine edge. Set it so it meets your needs, then click delete. Then switch to the other layer, invert the selection and hit delete again.

I hope this helps, but if not, post a picture about it and we might be able to suggest other ways. :)
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    As a somewhat timely workaround, I uncropped my texture to be larger than 2048x2048, extended the edge pixels, then cropped my image without delete cropped pixels turned on and then cropped back to 2048x2048. This is a pretty annoying workflow, I wish there was just a tick box to extend the effect past the border.
  • Fisher007
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisher007 polycounter lvl 8
    Increasing only the size of the layer that is being beveled?
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, and then applying a crop without delete leaves the pixels outside the texture boundary. I'm working on a 2048x2048 brick pattern, and when I bevel my bricks the ones on the edges get a seam through them. I wish there was just a tick box for this.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    why dont you just make an action for it?