Home Technical Talk

Tutorial: export to cryEngine with a single click!

kurt_hectic
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
Hello,

I did it! :poly142:
I'd like to share with you how I improved the export process from 3ds max to cryEngine. Also, with this trick you can improve many other...manual, time consuming things.

The problem was that we had to export our models like 500 times per day, just to check how it looks inside the engine.
To do it we had to:

1)click on the utilities tab
2)click an export button
3)wait a few sec
4)click OK
5)click alt+tab to view the model

Maybe there is some script for 3ds max for fast export but I was unable to find any ;( btw. most of the scripts are outdated.

So I used a Ghost Mouse program:
http://download.cnet.com/Ghost-Mouse/3000-2084_4-10863731.html

and recorded all movement and clicks required for an export. After that I was able to set up a shortcut for this action do it in 1 click in 2 sec overall!

I saved this script on my onedrive but I realised that I have a custom UI so probably it won't work for you (missclicks): http://1drv.ms/Qt1PVS

Here's my tips so you will be able to record your own scripts:

-don't start in the middle of the screen; start in the destination point; activate "record" button by pressing F9 (stop recording also with F9).
In my case I started on 'utilities' tab in 3ds max.

-if your model is heavy- (export take some time) wait before you will click OK after export

-set up playback speed at 3x or even more if your clicks will be on time and will do what they should (without miss clicks)

-record alt+tab command to end up with a view of the engine. Keep in mind that it could works bad if you "alt-tab-ed" to different windows; you know how it works. Windows remember last alt-tab.

-save your script and set up a shortcut for it

tags:
fast, quick, automatic, script, export, 3ds max, cry engine, Cryengine, export, export nodes, cfg, exporter

Replies