Home General Discussion

Not interested in hand painted texturing. What are my options in 3d?

Hi Polycount,

I've been learning 3ds Max for a few months now and have figured that I love the modelling portion of my projects, often going long hours without realizing it. However, when I get to the texturing portion (unwrapping isn't too bad) I tend to unitentionally put the whole project on halt for days at a time due to a lack of motivation.

I'm still in very early stages as you can tell, but what forms of 3d can I learn that will not require me to do hand painted textures. Currently I'm modelling low poly characters but I am open to learning a different area without excuse.

Much appreciated.

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Substance designer and DDO don't require much in terms of handpainting to get a decent texture.
  • Farfarer
    You can get by with photo sourced textures just fine.

But I recommend hand painting stuff, it's fun if you let it be :P
  • cvrlton
    ZacD wrote: »
    Substance designer and DDO don't require much in terms of handpainting to get a decent texture.

Substance Designer/Painter looks interesting, I'll look into this more. Thanks.
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I can understand that you might not find "hand-painting" textures fun, even with photo sourced textures you're going to want to do some painting at some point.
    Just try doing stuff. Yeah, they'll probably suck, and you'll hate them. But, if you don't try you'll never get better.
    I sucked at first. I sucked at textures for about... a year. I don't know your exact situation. But, I was in school, things really started to click for me after I took a course that was all about low poly modeling and texturing, that's when I really starting picking up the pace with my skills.
  • cvrlton
    LMP wrote: »
    I can understand that you might not find "hand-painting" textures fun, even with photo sourced textures you're going to want to do some painting at some point.
    Just try doing stuff. Yeah, they'll probably suck, and you'll hate them. But, if you don't try you'll never get better.
    I sucked at first. I sucked at textures for about... a year. I don't know your exact situation. But, I was in school, things really started to click for me after I took a course that was all about low poly modeling and texturing, that's when I really starting picking up the pace with my skills.

I suppose my main gripe is that everything about hand painted texturing feels too organic, even literally with a wacom. I don't have a great concept of drawing, colour, shading, highlights and whatever else comes with it, and to learn these things will require a lot more time than I'd really like to give - I study 3d maybe a couple hours a day (more on weekends) so would love to put those into anything other than the tiny details that comes in hand painted textures. Maybe there is some form of texturing that will handle that for me?
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    cvrlton wrote: »
    I don't have a great concept of drawing, colour, shading, highlights and whatever else comes with it, and to learn these things will require a lot more time than I'd really like to give...

With the possible exception of "drawing", all of those things are important when working with textures regardless of whether you're painting them 100% yourself or not.

You either want to give the time or you don't. Regardless of whether you're painting the textures or not, you will still have to put in the time for it to look good (by learning things like you mentioned above). In fact, I'd say dabbling in hand painting may actually SAVE you time in the long run.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    The 3d world doesn't spin around hand-painted textures. If you don't like them, don't do them. Try realistic texturing, maybe it's more up your valley.
  • cvrlton
    Two Listen wrote: »
    With the possible exception of "drawing", all of those things are important when working with textures regardless of whether you're painting them 100% yourself or not.

You either want to give the time or you don't. Regardless of whether you're painting the textures or not, you will still have to put in the time for it to look good (by learning things like you mentioned above). In fact, I'd say dabbling in hand painting may actually SAVE you time in the long run.

I'm certainly prepared to give the time, just only in the most efficient way. If in fact, it's worth learning - as is the general advice here - then it's what I'll do.
  • Goat Justice
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    Very much agree with Two Listen. The fundamental concepts of art apply whether you're painting each stroke by hand or by algorithm... you've gotta have some way to evaluate what comes out of substance or dDo. Great that you're wiling to learn and grow. It's essential if you're serious about art.
  • skankerzero
    The 3d world doesn't spin around hand-painted textures. If you don't like them, don't do them. Try realistic texturing, maybe it's more up your valley.

If he doesn't know his basics, then he's just going to end up with shitty, photosourced textured models.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I don't know how to handpaint and my textures come out okay... I thought.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    ..?_? Well depends what you define as hand painted. All types of texturing are technically hand painted. If you don't like texturing in general then it won't matter if it's realistic or stylized. Both require a good deal of painting. Your kidding yourself if you think realism doesn't require it.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    You must learn how to hand paint because some studios will need you to do that. Don't rely too much on DDO and Substance.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    No legitimate artist slaps a photo on something and calls it done. You have to learn texturing to become a good artist. I think OP us stating he doesn't like texturing, not just hand painting texturing in a stylized manner. Even with photo real you have to be able to paint out artifacts, make it tile, or alter values and color. Unless your modeling is literally the best out there, you will not make it far without texturing. EVERY artist in the industry can model, it's the texturing that will set you apart.
  • cvrlton
    slosh wrote: »
    No legitimate artist slaps a photo on something and calls it done. You have to learn texturing to become a good artist. I think OP us stating he doesn't like texturing, not just hand painting texturing in a stylized manner. Even with photo real you have to be able to paint out artifacts, make it tile, or alter values and color. Unless your modeling is literally the best out there, you will not make it far without texturing. EVERY artist in the industry can model, it's the texturing that will set you apart.

I've only ever tried some stylized hand painted texturing in Photoshop, so saying I don't like texturing-period is a bit sweeping. I'm just uninformed but your comments (as well as the other artists here) have given me a better sense of direction, especially your last sentence. And as mentioned by everyone here, I'll be painting regardless in some aspect; so it's not a problem for me to start practicing that now.

Thanks for the comments and advice, everybody.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    cvrlton wrote: »
    Hi Polycount,

I've been learning 3ds Max for a few months

Don't expect anything good from the first few months! It's going to suck. And if it doesn't look so bad now, it'll look horrible later when you're a total badass.

About the lack of motivation, try breaking it up with more interesting tasks so you can bring yourself to finish it. You just need to power through the lowest point!

steal-like-an-artist.png
    (taken from http://austinkleon.com/2011/03/30/how-to-steal-like-an-artist-and-9-other-things-nobody-told-me/)
  • cvrlton
    fonfa wrote: »
    Don't expect anything good from the first few months! It's going to suck. And if it doesn't look so bad now, it'll look horrible later when you're a total badass.

About the lack of motivation, try breaking it up with more interesting tasks so you can bring yourself to finish it. You just need to power through the lowest point!

steal-like-an-artist.png
    (taken from http://austinkleon.com/2011/03/30/how-to-steal-like-an-artist-and-9-other-things-nobody-told-me/)

I love the visual representation! Thank you.