Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Juan Martinez - Animation Reel - Work in Progress

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
monster polycounter
This is very much a work in progress. It's basically a bunch of animation clips I had laying around. A couple of them aren't done and a few need to be rendered out higher quality. I'm not really making a reel to look for a job, but I think it's about time I put my work together.

I'm mainly a technical artists these days, I just happen to do animation as well. I'm going to put together a separate rigging reel after I finish off the animation reel.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U89mQdbU48"]Juan Martinez - WIP Animation Reel - YouTube[/ame]

Basically here are some questions:

1. Should I finish the Marine Gets Tackled By Two Grunts animation?
2. Should I finish the Spider-man fight scene?
3. Should I include the building collapse?
4. Should I include the animations of the guy in the orange shirt?
5. Should I re-order any of the clips?

Replies

• juancaratino
    Offline / Send Message
    juancaratino polycounter lvl 7
    Muy lindas las animaciones Juan, te felicito, de donde sos? yo de Argentina

Very nice animation Juan, i congratulate you, from where are you from?
  • MEGALOS
    Offline / Send Message
    MEGALOS polycounter lvl 9
    Wooow dude amazing stuff there!! Well done!!
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Man i think your reel definitely goes from best to worst. Those first couple of animations were simply incredible. I loved the spartan vs. the two brutes. Their sense of weight, follow through, anticipation....all of it is just great. Same with the warthog vs. hunter, that warthog really feels heavy.

I dont think the guy with the orange vest is reel worthy, especially with your reel. You have sucha wide range of incredible animation to not so great.

I would can the building collapse, orange vest guy, spartan vs. wrath, and spidey fight.
  • Monkeez
    I'd cut it down from 2.5 minutes to 1-1.5 minutes, only show your very best work. Also I don't mean to offend you but I think the choice of music is poor for a showreel, try use something without lyrics if possible, especially not rap.
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    It looks very impressive. I haven't seen many animation reels on here. If you decide not to finish the spiderman scene then it'd be best to remove it from the reel.
  • johnnybrach
    I'm not an animator, but I think you are really capturing the driving force and they seem like they have good timing too
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    good animations, but I muted video after 5 seconds,
  • slipsius
    -Ditch the music. its crap.
    -Ditch the 2 orange guys doing CPR or whatever
    -DITCH THE WATER MARK OF YOUR WEBSITE! so distracting. Show your name and contact info at the start and end of your reel, for no more than 5 seconds each.
    -Ditch the explorer type characters. I dont like any of that stuff
    -Ditch the incrediables look alike guy swinging on the poles.

Id say throw together all your combat stuff, starting with all your halo stuff, then show us the new one, and we`ll go from there. Right now, for the most part, your animations are really good. but the reel is just way too long. use your best stuff, which i think is the combat
  • loneraver
    Offline / Send Message
    loneraver triangle
    I agree with everyone here.
    - The first half is great. I would just use that for a demo.
    - Get rid of the music (if you're going to have music use something without lyrics).
    - Remove watermark

You definitely have talent. Keep up the good work!