Home General Discussion

Battlefield 4

Replies

• EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    notman wrote: »
    Another nitpicky question; after that guy was spraying that grenade launcher like a lawn sprinkler, for no reason (because the heli had killed the enemies), then when they get attacked by the enemy chopper (on the building), he doesn't pull the gren launcher out?

The game REALLY looks great, but someone needs to sit back and review what makes sense in this storyline.

story line isnt what EA wants to see from dice, its explosions, shooting and random hanging from buildings and press F to cut leg.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Holy fuck that video is incredible!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I don't usually like realistically themed shooters but I think I may buy a new graphics card when this comes out.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    Trailer, explosions, fidelity, awesomeness but i totally didn't care about it. I play BF for the multi - player. I can only hope that multi - player details surface soon.

(Dice employees i hope you reading this. Take this back to your leaders please)

Give us 64 player on new consoles.

2143 DLC

Day one priced package that allows us to buy all the weapons instead of tedious perks system unlocking. (I'm willing to pay triple the game price if it means getting everything unlocked instantly. And this includes the micro unlocks - scopes and stuff)
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The graphics and animations are probably the best I've seen, but the gameplay looks so boring and scripted. What a waste.
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    amazing graphics with terrible looking gameplay. What a waste.

This was my reaction too. Granted, I don't think anyone plays BF for the singleplayer, but still. As a movie you can sit back and watch, it looked awesome, but as a game... well, I'll give it a second look when some multiplayer footage surfaces, 'cause it looks amazingly good. I hope Dice releases some mod tools at some point in the future.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't get enough of the video, Bonnie Tyler playing while lining up the kill shot on the chopper, epic.

I can't take it, I want it now :(
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    The thing is COD and other COD style games still sell more than games like Enslaved. So why risking the money ?

I hope one day FPS games like Bioshock and Dishonored sell more.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    It looks absolutely amazing, I imagine this being used to create animated tv shows (like the way Source will be for the animated movie 'Deep' http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/06/steams-source-engine-to-power-upcoming-animated-film/), but I can't get excited. Rockpapershotgun's bit today sums up my views pretty well http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/27/battlefield-4-prattle-feed-all-the-new-news/

The single player campaign in BF3 was visually stunning too, but that's about it. The multiplayer is where it's at for Battlefield, but it seems we're getting more of the same with the time period (was reeeaallllyyyy hoping for a futurey one). It kinda seems like Battlefield 3.5 from what was shown, and it will be interesting to see what it does to try and lure people from 3 to 4 instead of splitting the playerbase.

Of course that is all based on footage from the SP. Keen to see what the MP has in store.
  • Chael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't anyone remember landing the J10 on the enemy carrier, hopping out to let your squad spawn, then taking off again, running over five enemies waiting for a chopper?

I tried BF3; couldn't even go to the enemy carrier. Still waiting on that sequel to BF2, but I doubt this is it.

Anyone else still play BF2?
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    It wouldn't take 1 hit to cut his leg with a knife no matter how bad it was hurt, unless he's made out of bread.

...and DICE made the Russian special forces blind again, as usual.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Chael wrote: »
    Doesn't anyone remember landing the J10 on the enemy carrier, hopping out to let your squad spawn, then taking off again, running over five enemies waiting for a chopper?

I tried BF3; couldn't even go to the enemy carrier. Still waiting on that sequel to BF2, but I doubt this is it.

Anyone else still play BF2?

It's called spawn protection, and what you're doing is a douchebag maneuver. I haven't played the previous games in the series, but I'm going to assume you're referring to typical spawn camping and stealing enemy equipment. That still happens in BF3 (as with many other games), and I think it's a BS tactic that takes advantage of the gaming environment. Not to mention, I've been on teams so caught up in the hopes of spawn camping, that they don't even bother securing objectives (and screw the rest of the team).
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    what i want to know is:

how did the car he was leaning out of the window of to shoot a helicoptor, that doesn't have electric windows, manage to have said window wound up in the 2 seconds it took for them to get him into the car, and then hit the water?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It wouldn't take 1 hit to cut his leg with a knife no matter how bad it was hurt, unless he's made out of bread.

...and DICE made the Russian special forces blind again, as usual.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but he did say his leg was just powder being held together by fabric. Though I really don't know why he had to throw the knife after:shifty:
  • Chael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's called spawn protection, and what you're doing is a douchebag maneuver. I haven't played the previous games in the series, but I'm going to assume you're referring to typical spawn camping and stealing enemy equipment. That still happens in BF3 (as with many other games), and I think it's a BS tactic that takes advantage of the gaming environment. Not to mention, I've been on teams so caught up in the hopes of spawn camping, that they don't even bother securing objectives (and screw the rest of the team).

That's not a douchebag maneuver, that's great gameplay. A douchebag maneuver would be that time I stabbed an old lady right in the face, and she was on my clan ;)

So you haven't played BF2, never played with me, yet you condemn my tactics? I'm just trying to illustrate the difference between what Battlefield was, and what it is now. The franchise brought in a lot of new players with Bad Company and the titles that followed, but that Battlefield feel just isn't there.

Where are those awesome moments?
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    .......................!!!
    awdc01.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah that shot is quite something ! Goes to show how much good cinematic framing and putting nice solid shadows on the face helps at jumping over the uncanny valley.

Now imagine all this tech being given to a guy like Neil Blomkamp.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    That's not a douchebag maneuver, that's great gameplay. A douchebag maneuver would be that time I stabbed an old lady right in the face, and she was on my clan ;)

So you haven't played BF2, never played with me, yet you condemn my tactics? I'm just trying to illustrate the difference between what Battlefield was, and what it is now. The franchise brought in a lot of new players with Bad Company and the titles that followed, but that Battlefield feel just isn't there.

Spawn camping is hella douchy. People play games for enjoyment. If you're sniping them as soon as they spawn, they're obviously not having a good time. Ergo, douchy.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7

It is a douchebag move, you'd get banned on most BF 2 servers (and BF 3 servers) for that.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    awdc01.gif
    hehe Well... ofc in BF4 you will be able to customize your char(not) you know like adding extra arms on your back so you can knife the guy that is trying to knife you while you camp and snipe. ;) just kidding A lil secret of mine... I haven't even finished the BF3 campaign. In many places felt like this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-daxzVxrQI"]Duck Hunt NES - YouTube[/ame]
    And that just didn't do it for me and lost my attention. Hope that the campaign for this one will be different with less of those moments. Looking forward to seeing more.
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    Though I really don't know why he had to throw the knife after:shifty:

It was his first time watching some one bleed !!!!!!

He actually surprised by the bleed. he never thought than it would be like that !!!!!
  • Chael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    Spawn camping is hella douchy. People play games for enjoyment. If you're sniping them as soon as they spawn, they're obviously not having a good time. Ergo, douchy.
    Xendance wrote: »
    It is a douchebag move, you'd get banned on most BF 2 servers (and BF 3 servers) for that.

Just to be clear, I don't spawn camp unless I'm standing next to a flag trying to cap it (well most of the time). I go to the carrier to destroy the commander assets, kill whoever tries to stop me, and then take off with one of their air vehicles. Or wait for their jets to re-arm and shoot them with rockets.

I follow server rules, even when I don't agree with them. There aren't many servers left, so I don't get to do this stuff very often anymore.

My point is that BF2 allowed players to do awesome stuff like that. There's no safe zone where it's illegal to kill people... well some servers have rules like that. For instance, on Dragon Valley only the carrier is an uncap, and there are usually server rules against attacking it. So that teams commander sits there all round worry free, while the other teams commander is vulnerable. Drives me nuts because sometimes I like to find and kill the commander all round.

I enjoy the other side of the coin too. When there are enemies on my team's carrier, I find them and stab them. And when an enemy has one of our air vehicles, I go after it until it's dead. Sure I get mad sometimes, but I get even.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I go to the carrier to destroy the commander assets, kill whoever tries to stop me, and then take off with one of their air vehicles. Or wait for their jets to re-arm and shoot them with rockets.

That was the single most annoying thing people did in Bf1943, and it was enough to get me to stop playing the game. Nothing like spawning on a carrier to find some enemy douchebag who shoots you in the face, then steals off with the only vehicle before you respawn. I played one game where the enemy team had all the aircraft and landing craft so there was no way off the ship.

Seriously, wtf.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I don't need to play with you to know you play like an ass. You're illustrating the difference as 'one game I can fuck with the enemies equipment/spawn' and the other 'they stopped me from being an ass'. What about that whole area in the middle of the map where, you know, the action is? While your team is looking for assistance at the objectives, you're off with a bottle of jergins, getting off on stealing/destroying equipment. I guess you must hate most new games, because it's pretty common these days to provide spawn protection.

I'ave had plenty of awesome moments in BF3. I just posted one, a couple days ago, in the BF3 thread. Look for BF3 videos on youtube. I suspect you'd really enjoy the ones labeled as troll (there are quite a few).

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread, because it's about BF4. I just get bothered by guys who think it's fun to try ruining a game for other people, who just want to play it as intended.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed. The 'awesome Battlefield moments' I remember generally involve things like flying helicopters upside down, crushing soldiers with skillfully placed submarines and the like....
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    although all this shit excites me in my trousers...

i cant help feeling more excited about the prospect of people get bored of this and wanting some more imagination back in...

MGS trailer was similar until THE FUCKING FLAMING WHALE....that was full of mental awsomeness
  • chris89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chris89 polycounter lvl 10
    Art QA needs a look. I do quite like the floating pillar, it's a statement.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awdc01.gif

Moar of hur plox :D
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chris89 wrote: »
    Art QA needs a look. I do quite like the floating pillar, it's a statement.

Haha, I missed that. What time in the video?
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    He talk i guess when they exit the forest area and down the hill has concrete pilar that soldiers use for cover.
  • Masakari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Masakari polycounter lvl 9
    My point is that BF2 allowed players to do awesome stuff like that. There's no safe zone where it's illegal to kill people... well some servers have rules like that. For instance, on Dragon Valley only the carrier is an uncap, and there are usually server rules against attacking it. So that teams commander sits there all round worry free, while the other teams commander is vulnerable. Drives me nuts because sometimes I like to find and kill the commander all round.
    The thing is, that really isn't "awesome".

I've been playing BF since 1942 was released, and I find BF3 to be the best game in the series by far. Is it perfect? No, but then no game is, specially in the BF franchise.

The people who complain about BF2 being "a gift from heaven and BF3 being the devil" usually just miss their vehicle stealing, spawn raping, camping in the middle of nowhere all match, and other misc antics.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the biggest step backward for me has just been the lack of modability. BF3 was, and i assume BF4 will be fantastic from a technical, and artistic standpoint. but a big point of contention for me is that when players want/like a particular game mode that isn't included, they should have the ability to make that game mode themselves, even if it's stupid shit like "be the first to shoot the golden chicken as it runs through the map". you'd be surprised how many rediculous ideas on paper were actually insanely fun in reality, they actually made for compelling gameplay.

i played way more BF1942 and UT4 than just about any other shooter, and it was almost purely down to the fact that i was playing stupid mods, and testing out skins/characters i'd made for them. as an artist, i love nothing more than to make my own characters for existing games... i don't mean that in a "yours arent good enough" way, i just love the freedom. i cut my teeth with games like jedi academy, making anime characters with swords twice as big as their bodies in a friggin star wars game... and thousands of people downloaded them! AND THEY WERENT EVEN THAT GOOD!
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8

6:17 in. You can see it float as he crotches aha.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    the biggest step backward for me has just been the lack of modability.

You can also argue that it's detrimental from a hiring point of view: most of us have a background of modding, and until the industry has proper, established venues for training, modding is where the learning takes place. The more cutting edge the tech, the harder they're making it to learn and thus cutting out a potential talent base. Not to mention that several genres owe a lot of their innovation to popular mods.
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just do not get all this stuff about games being moddable in this day and age.
    Plenty of games already released provide people with the opportunity to make mods of virtually any kind, so buy those, and make mods for those games.

Not every game has to have moddability to be considered worthy.
    Personally I have found 98% of the mods I have tried through the years to be complete shit and an utter waste of everyone's time.
    The 2% that stands out is Team Fortress, Counter Strike, Action Quake and the first MOBA mods for games like Starcraft.

The Source engine and its games are still there, and still highly mod-able.
    People can get UDK or Unity or Cryengine and actually make a game and not just a mod on top of a game.

Making a game mod-able generally opens that game up to abuse and bugginess more than it needs to be.
    Not to mention that the work that goes into making your game mod-able is wasted resource as such a small percentage of people will ever take notable advantage of it.
    Yes yes.. texture mods for games like Oblivion or Skyrim and the like are pretty and all that, but generally do nothing for the developers income for said game and are as such, time wasted on opening up a game, while still having it secure enough if its to be played online.

Every mod I tried for a Battlefield game as pretty much been a stinker in most ways with a dash of neat here and there.
    None of it lasted for me for more than a week before going back to the original game though.

Also from my point of view as a BF veteran, BF3 has been the best one so far concerning gameplay and mechanics, despite its few short-comings.
    BF2 I thought was pretty bad overall. Dolphin diving everywhere, bad hitboxes, terrible net-code, the crap-tastically boring commander mode that did more harm than good in anything but very organized clan battles, and the god awful air to ground game balance.

On single-player in Battlefield.. I really liked the Bad Company single player, and while limiting, I enjoyed my play-through of the BF3 single-player as well.
    Not something that is intended to be replayed over and over, but it was great fun for me first time through.
    More so than a lot of other FPS SP campaigns.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gusti wrote: »
    People can get UDK or Unity or Cryengine and actually make a game and not just a mod on top of a game.

Mods, level design in particular, don't require you to build an entire game just to demonstrate / practice your craft. Building content that fits into an existing game world is as much a skill as building the content itself.

Not to mention, many build and play mods as a means of extending the game they enjoy. It's not always about practicing your art.
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Mods, level design in particular, don't require you to build an entire game just to demonstrate / practice your craft. Building content that fits into an existing game world is as much a skill as building the content itself.

Not to mention, many build and play mods as a means of extending the game they enjoy. It's not always about practicing your art."

Absolutely, and there are a good number of titles out that allow people to do that already.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov wrote: »
    You can also argue that it's detrimental from a hiring point of view: most of us have a background of modding, and until the industry has proper, established venues for training, modding is where the learning takes place. The more cutting edge the tech, the harder they're making it to learn and thus cutting out a potential talent base. Not to mention that several genres owe a lot of their innovation to popular mods.

Yeah but these games arent here to suit us as employees, theyre here to suit us as gamers.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Sure seems like that helicopter could have landed when it first showed up and the good guys were in a flat clearing. But hey, them set pieces are very pretty!
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    I just do not get all this stuff about games being moddable in this day and age.
    Plenty of games already released provide people with the opportunity to make mods of virtually any kind, so buy those, and make mods for those games.

Noone wants to play a mod for outdated game
    BF2 Project reality, while being super awesome mod overall, runs on old engine and doesnt look good

I'd fucking love to see PR on Frostbite, but...

Also, I should mention that BF2 grew up from Desert Storm mod for BF1942

Modding is important, sucks that EA dont want to bother
  • Masakari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Desert Combat was epic! Played that almost more than the actual game.

I used to mod on BF1942 and BF2, so in part I get what people say. On the other hand, there are already plenty of moddable games out there. And modding overall is just gonna get more complicated, specially in technically advanced titles like Battlefield.

Just look at iD and the Rage mod tools - fans bitched they wanted them, they actually released them much to everyones surprise, and then fans bitched the requirements / technical aspects were unfriendly or insane. Its just not as simple as it used to be 10 years ago.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Isn't the point that people want to mod with progressively nicer engines?
    Or are you suggesting people should be happy just making mods with Quake II?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awdc01.gif

The more I look at this... dayum. Her lip animation is off, haven't got a clue what she's saying, but bloody hell it looks pre-rendered.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the biggest step backward for me has just been the lack of modability.

I agree, but unfortunately, it seems like the industry as a whole, has been shying away from modding. They don't see the financial value in paying for the development time. Plus, games that are modded, tend to last longer, and requires longer support (since some players tend to continue playing their mod after many have left the game behind).

I support a mod for Tribes 2, that is STILL played every weekend. We've been desperately looking for a new game to mod, and move on to. We got excited when Tribes Ascend was announced, but yet again, not moddable.

I have offered up a solution, but I can't seem to get that solution to reach the right people. They should offer up modding, and allow players to sell their mods/skins/etc, in an online store. The game studio would get a cut, the modder would get a cut, and the game would receive upgrades from the community (free labor). It seems like a win to me, and something that would pay for that additional mod support in the code.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6:17 in. You can see it float as he crotches aha.

Ah, I see it now. I was too busy looking at the rest of the environment :D
  • Masakari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, but unfortunately, it seems like the industry as a whole, has been shying away from modding. They don't see the financial value in paying for the development time. Plus, games that are modded, tend to last longer, and requires longer support (since some players tend to continue playing their mod after many have left the game behind).

I support a mod for Tribes 2, that is STILL played every weekend. We've been desperately looking for a new game to mod, and move on to. We got excited when Tribes Ascend was announced, but yet again, not moddable.

I have offered up a solution, but I can't seem to get that solution to reach the right people. They should offer up modding, and allow players to sell their mods/skins/etc, in an online store. The game studio would get a cut, the modder would get a cut, and the game would receive upgrades from the community (free labor). It seems like a win to me, and something that would pay for that additional mod support in the code.
    Cool idea, Workshop-like portal. But it would require tons of moderation, as inevitable copyright-infringing skins / models would show up en masse.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I definitely understand there would be more logistics than what I detailed there. I just mean to say, it may in fact pay for itself. Especially since many are already working to provide some sort of 'store' to purchase DLCs
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrampledUnderFoot polycounter lvl 7
    GIFGIF

Crazy amount of wind attacking her scarf, steam/smoke in the back going completely vertical :P

Looks beautiful, but I think I'm going to be passing as well.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13

How do you explain things like Bethesda games phenomenal modding community, or WoW interface modding that grew beyond of anything we could imagine?

Skyrim/Fallout doesnt benefit directly from modders, yet they still support that.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not trying to explain anything. I'm talking about where the industry has been heading. I would love more mod support from game studios. From a consumer perspective, it seems to me like they only budget for the core of the game these days, and nothing more. Adding mod support costs more in development money, and my suspicions are, they don't want to put that money into the game development.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea with the amount of internal tools and scripts and plugins most studios have with engines nowdays its a huge cost to make it a user friendly package for joe average. and most of the time they dont want their internal tools floating around. Frostbite seems to be EA's new baby so I doubt they want the competition to get their hands on it and start poking around at features to copy or rip off. its been a huge investment to them.