Home Technical Talk

NormalMap Generator Online

For everyone who needs a NormalMap Generator for Windows, Mac, Linux and whatever...:
I have build an online in-browser free normal map generator.
I would be glad to get critical feedback and ideas to improve this project.

http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

Screenshot:
screenshot_small.png

Please give feedback, post ideas or problems you encounter!! :poly142:

Greetz,
Christian

Replies

• Memory
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    Christian - this is great! I really like the work you have done and it looks like a good start to a useful tool! I have some suggestions that I think could help improve the program:

- Numbers or input fields for the sliders (for more precise control and for matching multiple textures/settings.)

- An image format choice such as png, tga

- A zoombar or magnify for the 3d preview. On a 512 x 512 texture with my browser at fullscreen it's hard to see what's going on with something like a brick texture etc.

That's all I can think of for now, but great work! I look forward to seeing your project grow.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    This is awesome dude, Thanks!

I'm going to check it out ASAP.
  • gloriousczar
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for posting this, this is really cool!

It would be cool if you could manually rotate the preview object too though.
  • cpetry
    Memory wrote: »
    Christian - this is great! I really like the work you have done and it looks like a good start to a useful tool! I have some suggestions that I think could help improve the program:

- Numbers or input fields for the sliders (for more precise control and for matching multiple textures/settings.)

- An image format choice such as png, tga

- A zoombar or magnify for the 3d preview. On a 512 x 512 texture with my browser at fullscreen it's hard to see what's going on with something like a brick texture etc.

That's all I can think of for now, but great work! I look forward to seeing your project grow.

These are some very good ideas!
    I will see to implement them as soon I got some free time.
    I'm glad that you like it!
  • cpetry
    I've included now rotation with mouse (click & drag)
    and added a bigger view.

I'm still not too sure about the input fields...
    I try to let it look as simple and intuitive as possible.
    What are others thinking about this?
  • Mr.Moose
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    Sweet!

The white on white of the drag and drop heightmap made my eyes glaze over it for like 5minutes trying to find how to use my own XD
  • tristamus
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    FINALLY! I was waiting for something like this to exist. Having to jump back and forth between windows and mac just to get my normal maps from xNormal = PITA.

I can see this getting huge if you keep putting work into it, cpetry. Seriously.
  • cpetry
    tristamus wrote: »
    FINALLY! I was waiting for something like this to exist. Having to jump back and forth between windows and mac just to get my normal maps from xNormal = PITA.

I can see this getting huge if you keep putting work into it, cpetry. Seriously.

I'm glad you all like it!
    Creating normal maps for myself is not my everyday job...
    So I would like getting ideas from you all, who perhaps use that on a dayly basis, to improve it in a way you really need.
  • Mr.Moose
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    detail sliders are always a +, and opengl or direct x options too (at least for me since I end up in opengl and direct xevery other project)
  • cpetry
    Mr.Moose wrote: »
    detail sliders are always a +, and opengl or direct x options too (at least for me since I end up in opengl and direct xevery other project)

What do you mean with detail sliders? Input fields für values?

OpenGL/DirectX
    The problem is: Every browser seems to handle WebGL differently.
    Some use OpenGL, some DirectX.
    So I sadly can't change anything here.
  • cpetry
    Added displacement map.

How would you want to change the displacement map?
    For now I added a function to change contrast.

Try it out!

Greetz,
    Christian
  • cpetry
    Well, new feature: Ambient Occlusion.
    Also fixed some minor bugs and performance issues.
  • Memory
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    I really appreciate the work you are putting into this tool. It's a great alternative to some of the other programs out there! I don't have any suggestions right now but keep up the good work!

Perhaps in the future this could be downloaded as a lightweight stand alone program? Can it already be downloaded someway that I don't know about and ran locally?

Thanks
  • cpetry
    Memory wrote: »
    I really appreciate the work you are putting into this tool. It's a great alternative to some of the other programs out there! I don't have any suggestions right now but keep up the good work!

Perhaps in the future this could be downloaded as a lightweight stand alone program? Can it already be downloaded someway that I don't know about and ran locally?

Thanks

Thank you!

Yes, it can be run locally (although that's exactly what's happening anyway).
    You could download all files and run them with a local python server.
    Then you can run that again in your browser.

But that would be in no way different, than using it on the webpage.
    All scripts are always running locally on your pc and no information of the textures are stored on the server (that would be a big problem for me and my webspace).

Also you would have to update every time I make changes, if you want the newest features and improvements.
  • cpetry
    Added some more features:
    - Downloadable filesize now much higher (browser specific ~ 600MB max)
    - Download file choosable with name and type as PNG or JPG (with compression settings)
    - Input dimensions (heightmap) are now equal to output dimensions
    - Simple filechooser