Home Technical Talk

[modo] Color Management

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Revel interpolator
So does anyone have any idea of what modo 801 doing to it's new color management feature? something about OCIO (Open-Color IO) that is new to 801, but the thing is it's just messed up with my viewport display.

I tried to follow the setting here on this video but still gives me wrong display:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGdArCyHWo"]Modo 801: Everything about Color in 10 minutes or less - YouTube[/ame]

The scene was started in 701, and there was no problem whatsoever back then. The most impact seems like affecting how normal map react to the surface.

Without OCIO color management (similar with what I remember from 701) -
j45Cugk.jpg

With OCIO color management -
iEG1kSo.jpg

I know my final display will be on UE4 but it's nice to have it looks 'consistent' throughout the process. Do we need to just disable the OCIO all together?

From modo docs:
To ensure consistent rendering, MODO will open older scene files (pre-801) with 'Color Management' disabled. If Color Management is desired, users will need to manually enabled it for all items in the scene.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that the 2 surfaces with different lighting are sharing the same normal map, it's just that one mapped vertical (lighter) and another one horizontal (darker). Shouldn't tangent space normal map stay consistent regardless of it's orientation?

Replies

• repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    See if this helps:

enable the option under Output colors called remap pixel values
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hi repete, where can i find that option? do you mean the one on the Final Color Output?
    Seems like modo 801 remove the option from Final Color Output (and so do on the modo docs' page, the Remap Pixel Values was not listed under Final Color Output).
  • Farfarer
    Remap pixel values is only applicable for things like Shading Normal (where you might get negative values in the final image).

But yeah, the new colour management is strange. I just set everything to None and then profile to None and left it at that.
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    If you click on "Final Color Output"in the shader tree then goto "Channels" you will see it listed.

Farfarer is right though, it probably wont help but worth a try !
    Revel wrote: »
    Hi repete, where can i find that option? do you mean the one on the Final Color Output?
    Seems like modo 801 remove the option from Final Color Output (and so do on the modo docs' page, the Remap Pixel Values was not listed under Final Color Output).
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hi guys, I think I do find a culprit that causing the shading error. At first I can't find any google answer is because I simply search the wrong term. The problem not lies on how the new OCIO works, but more to how normal map in general works. So in short, yes the color information needs to be gamma corrected with the sRGB color space in order to display it properly, BUT we can't do gamma corrected on the normal map, since every color on normal map representing a vector (direction) information, when we gamma corrected it, it shifted the color value hence shifted the vector (direction) of light which cause the shading error like on my first post.

So the solution is to just set everything else following the video posted above, but special for normal map, set it to linear color space.
    Quoted from Joe 'EQ' Wilson HERE:
    Normal maps are the only map that really HAS to be linear space, normal maps don't work at all when loaded as sRGB. This is true if you have pbr shaders or not.