Home Technical Talk

World machine and tiled land question

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , I was trying Wm with a tiled world construction , I am generating a world output of 20k x 10 k resolution from an original file of 8192x4096 resolution , I split into 4x4 tiles ...

the problem is that if I generate a single tile as usual the 3d viewport updates and shows the results, if I generate though the tiled world building the 3d view after the built doesn't get updated , any reason for that?

Replies

• cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    The viewport is limited to displaying 4k at max, I've always assumed this was a video memory thing.

When you build a tiled output you are writing out many images separately, so I've always assumed it simply didn't have a way to use multiple images for it's preview, and that they were too high-res anyway. I've always setup displaced meshes in max or something to use as a preview instead.

Tiled builds can be quite tricky to pull off well, as the tile-rendering is inherently problematic without a lot of smoothing and the results you get can be quite different from non-tiled builds. Be aware of this, in the past I've spent lots of time tweaking small details of a non-tiled build only to do a tiled-build later and get vastly different results.