Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Fuck yes sand king! You will be gaben's best mate with that haha!

Like that face already!

Frump! Woah! I love that! She looks even sexier! Respect :D
  • Ex4000
    Andyk125 wrote: »

Well only the scarf is something from Prince of persia concepts, and the rest isn't but the back of the scarf will be quitte different, so I don't think that will be a problem. The shoulder and leg armor are comletely my own concept as well as the blades, ofcourse iwth some reference..

You should change the colors of the scarf, it looks like hes dressed up as the Prince.
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Sketched out a very quick outline for a Kunkka set:

ifeo9RBwgv2H5.jpg

Any C&C before I begin modeling? A lot of the decorations are subject to minor alteration, I just wanted to sketch out the broad strokes.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    HntrLuc wrote: »
    anuxinamoon - lina set came out awesome!
    tvidotto - cool idea for a courier!

Started back on my sandking set from the polycount contest. Still fiddling around with the idea in zbrush trying to nail down the look.

dota_sandking_3.jpg

Looking amazing Hunter

i with i had 10% of your abilities to work on my couriers =]
  • Gareth_Thomas
    Hey guys. I've got a question for those of you that have worked on couriers before. The tech requirements say that they are allowed a max of 3000 polygons for lod1 i just wanted to check if anyone knew if they meant polygons or tris. I have a sneaky suspicion they mean tris and I just wanted to make sure.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys. I've got a question for those of you that have worked on couriers before. The tech requirements say that they are allowed a max of 3000 polygons for lod1 i just wanted to check if anyone knew if they meant polygons or tris. I have a sneaky suspicion they mean tris and I just wanted to make sure.
    Everything in the requirements means tris, no exceptions.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Fuck yes sand king! You will be gaben's best mate with that haha!

Like that face already!

Frump! Woah! I love that! She looks even sexier! Respect :D

Thanks, sexiness is the goal, most of the comments on the items are about her butt though, and I had nothing to do with that.
  • Gareth_Thomas
    @Vlad. Cool i thought so, thanks. :)
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Base wrote: »
    That did it! Thanks a ton. Also, is there any way to set up and preview Jigglebones in the itemtest or HLMV?

Np, I had the same problems and everbody kept saying to scale down with the verts selected or use xform, but those are basic things..

Finially baked down the sword concept for my bounty hunter, and also started working on the textures. Still needs some work, but I'm pretty happy with how the baking came out.

DErN8.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    I took a step back with my Lion set and took a couple of days to really focus on the concept and the shapes and what the intention and theme of the set is, this is the result:
    Xc7KA.jpg
    Remnants of the last design can still be seen but for the most part it's a complete overhaul -- I really wanted to focus on shapes, colours and readability, reading the Polycount Contest blog posts from Valve gave me a much better idea of what to aim for.
  • Paskie
    Looking great Bronto!
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more work on texturing my weapon, here's an ingame test.
    It's still a bit to shiny and the textures are not finished yet, but what do you guys think?

BMEfA.jpg
  • 4evra
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    I took a step back with my Lion set and took a couple of days to really focus on the concept and the shapes and what the intention and theme of the set is, this is the result:
    Xc7KA.jpg
    Remnants of the last design can still be seen but for the most part it's a complete overhaul -- I really wanted to focus on shapes, colours and readability, reading the Polycount Contest blog posts from Valve gave me a much better idea of what to aim for.

if i may say,that hood looks a bit off to me.It has a lot of Gondar's item style in it.
    Plus,the whole concept with horns,lava tencacle and stuff throws in the idea of hellish creature and items.That kind of scarf/hood is a persian style,to protect from sand storms etc,its also a good piece of cloth to warm some1 up,so its not a type of cloth some hellish creature would wear,since hell is kinda warm place :D
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome works here guys, congrats!

came here to share the update on the courier

1CMbX
    1CMf1
    1CMgI

had some problems with the triangles that came from the dynamesh, so i "retopologed" the character and now its more "workable"

still some work to do, need to define some parts like the top horn and the wings but im almost there, now its time to polish details

i got jelous of Anuxi´s production rate, so i trying to do this one quickly =]
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra wrote: »
    if i may say,that hood looks a bit off to me.It has a lot of Gondar's item style in it.
    Plus,the whole concept with horns,lava tencacle and stuff throws in the idea of hellish creature and items.That kind of scarf/hood is a persian style,to protect from sand storms etc,its also a good piece of cloth to warm some1 up,so its not a type of cloth some hellish creature would wear,since hell is kinda warm place :D

I probably should have mentioned that the theme has changed, haha!
    The demonic conversion thing wasn't working so I switched it to more of an exiled wanderer.

Regarding the hood, it's going to be made in the same style as his existing one and looking at my concept again, I definitely need to focus on more shaper, pointier shapes and edges. The top of the cape doesn't actually cover the top of his head, it sort of leans out. I think I might toy with the idea of adding something at the front of it, holding it together so it's more of a traditional cape.

Thanks for your input, I hadn't considered much of what you wrote :)
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Frump, Tvidotto, Bronto - your killing it guys, really nice solid work all around.
  • oasis04151
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Xc7KA.jpg

The set looks awesome. The only thing I'm not 100% on is the orb floating over his head. If there can be some animation to it where it looks like its floating it could work very well. But if it remains a static object, then, I don't know.

No matter what, the set looks fantastic!
  • Paskie
    Btw, someone needs to make Lion some pants.
    Looks like he is wearing a diaper!
    Does polycount have with takes to make this happen?! :)
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I have a stupid question, All the shurikens for bounty hunter are made for it's shoulder slot , which is no problem I'm just wondering why the tricount on Valve's models and models allready made are (or look) so low? because the shoulder slot got a max of 600 tri's lod_0 :s
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    OK I have a stupid question, All the shurikens for bounty hunter are made for it's shoulder slot , which is no problem I'm just wondering why the tricount on Valve's models and models allready made are (or look) so low? because the shoulder slot got a max of 600 tri's lod_0 :s

the polygon limit when decided on a poker game =]
    there is some numbers that doesnt make much sense, like the beast masters hawk

lod1 - 1000 tris
    lod0 - 1000 tris

just dont worry with them and do you best with the poligons you can use =]
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    the polygon limit when decided on a poker game =]
    there is some numbers that doesnt make much sense, like the beast masters hawk

lod1 - 1000 tris
    lod0 - 1000 tris

just dont worry with them and do you best with the poligons you can use =]

It sure looks that way, some ppl really had a bad poker day then, especially the one that played for skeleton king :)

Now on to the high poly model!

By the way the dragon looks great, I'm only not sure about the eyes..
    Also great idea with teh tail and lantarn!
  • SinAmos
    Do any of you actually play Dota? Just curious.
  • Vindalia
    After the Dota2 Polycount contest I had some extra concepts lying around which I hoped to some day make in the future. SoJa has offered to collaborate with the modeling aspect of one of these sets, which is really awesome! Now that I think about it, I really should have collaborated for the contest instead of spend so much time flailing around trying to learn Maya and Mudbox with zero prior experience.

Original thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106769&highlight=drow

I revisited a concept for Drow Ranger and rendered it in more detail. As always, comments and crits are welcome! We will begin the modeling process soon.

o5nBR.jpg
    C2tv6.png

SinAmos, I did play Dota2 right after I got the beta key, but not recently... its a fun game, until you start to get the feeling that your team will hate you if you aren't up to par with strategizing. I'll stick to more relaxing games for now, haha.
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    SinAmos wrote: »

I have over 300 hours and still play regularly.
  • ArchoX

Over 800 there.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    @vindalia, that concept looks amazing! Only the legs look a bit boring, add some detail to it, not to much though..

I play dota2 almost everyday, especially when I work on items I intend to start up a game :p

Did some more work on the Knife for BH, redid the masks so it will add some more detail. The detail is a lot better noticable from a distance now. Aslo started working on the Shuriken, allready backed the high poly and started working on the textures. The model is between the lod_0 and lod_1 (400 tri's), because otherwise I would have had a lot of problems getting a good lod_1 quality. But I think it allready looks good even for a lod_0.

Let me know what you guys think!

7oyHj.jpg

cJSfO.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Great work on the blade and the shuriken! I think the yellow is a bit too saturated and I think it'd be really cool if you could introduce some gradients to the yellow parts (I know it's early WIP, so I'm sure you already have plans for it)
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message

Since WC3, why do you ask?
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10

Played wc3 dota back in the day, currently at 700 hours in dota 2.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Great work on the blade and the shuriken! I think the yellow is a bit too saturated and I think it'd be really cool if you could introduce some gradients to the yellow parts (I know it's early WIP, so I'm sure you already have plans for it)

Thanks a lot!

Like you said, it's still a WIP, but I allready made some minor changes to it. And also tested out the model ingame. This time with some basic masks. The textures still need some work though. I might change the gold from the 4 blades, too a dark gray, like the color on the knife, so it stands out more.

cvUzQ.jpg
  • lancemaker

i have more than 1000 matches. I guess i play more than i should.
  • SinAmos
    Good to know. I thought I was the only one that actually played on this board.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Good to know. I thought I was the only one that actually played on this board.
    WelpE4D8B3EFF3B0F9D3693DBAF711E51A0C4482EB29
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    Awww darn, I missed the polycount game? D:D:D: Forgot to keep checking that thread.

If there's going to be another one sometime please post it in here, I check this thread almost every day XD.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14

WHY DIDNT YOU REVEAL THE WINNING TEAM!? xD

It was the only match we did win :<
  • Paskie
    Merry Christmas everyone!
  • ArchoX
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    It's 15 minutes into Christmas in Sydney -- Merry Christmas every one :)
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    Merry Christmas!!!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message

was a pleasure playing against the the legend vlad in the middle

we need to do that again =]

@anuxi, here is the result but i will not publish it as an image =]

http://i.imgur.com/4Kgbp.png
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    was a pleasure playing against the the legend vlad in the middle

we need to do that again =]

@anuxi, here is the result but i will not publish it as an image =]

http://i.imgur.com/4Kgbp.png

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

(I want in on the next one)
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    run into something weird with spec maps.

Untitled-1-29_zpsa7936913.jpg

anyone got any idea why my spec might not be working? seems to be uniformly shiny for some reason, like the whole thing was flat grey.
  • RDMD
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    anyone know a easier way to preview items instead of the basic workshop viewer?

I think I have seem some people implementing theyr whole items into the game somehow,they did it by messing the game files?

EDIT: btw whats the best way to work a item? creating a lod1 first or the lod0 and them converting to lod1?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    run into something weird with spec maps.

Untitled-1-29_zpsa7936913.jpg

anyone got any idea why my spec might not be working? seems to be uniformly shiny for some reason, like the whole thing was flat grey.

check the other maps too, the specular power and metalness could be your problem
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD wrote: »
    anyone know a easier way to preview items instead of the basic workshop viewer?

I think I have seem some people implementing theyr whole items into the game somehow,they did it by messing the game files?

EDIT: btw whats the best way to work a item? creating a lod1 first or the lod0 and them converting to lod1?

1- you can use a maya or a 3dmax shader, look for the hero shader some guys made here in the polycount forum

2- yes, you can implement the whole set in game, look for a tutorial a guy called !nz compiled about it, its in this thread

3- do your lod0 with uvs and make your lod1 extracting some polygons from lod0, take care to no mess the uvs

hope that helped =]

edit

the shader
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110022
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    2- yes, you can implement the whole set in game, look for a tutorial a guy called compiled about it, its in this thread

edit

the shader
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110022

yea Tvidotto made this guide (He seems to have Valve buddies) I just had to fix it for myself and tried to make it as easy to understand as possible. Credit to TVid for sharing this with us.

Here is my version
    All I did was sort everything in Txt form I didn't discover this process, just clearifiying.

Here is the original

Edit will link it once I find it, buried in this thread.
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    check the other maps too, the specular power and metalness could be your problem

ah yep that was exactly my problem! looks like i had my intensity and exponent maps switched around.

thankee

edit: done!

promoplaceholder_zps88574df7.jpgcleaverpromo512_zps865e6002.jpg
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    So now that Rubick is officially in the workshop I decided to revisit the first 3d model I ever made :) This time as a full set, hopefully this time around I'll be able to make better textures.

Here's the workshop link to the original

ChameleonBlocked.jpg

Here's what I managed to block out so far, I figured I should get some feedback before I go any further, and there's no staff yet. I felt that rubick's mask needed a mischievous smile, and that was my starting point for the mask's concept. After adding the new hood I really liked how the shape of it turned out, and I didnt' want to cover that up with giant shoulderpads so that's why I came up with the "cross" strapped across his back for the shoulders slot. I realize this is all a pretty big departure from Rubick's default look so I'll be sticking very closely to the original color scheme to avoid hero confusion.
  • Rikk The Gaijin
    Offline / Send Message
    Rikk The Gaijin polycounter lvl 6
    Edit, sorry, wrong thread :poly136: