Home Technical Talk

How to convert SketchUp's Triangles to Quads?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Makan polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, this is my first thread in polycount :)

Recently I came back start using SketchUP pro, it's really nice, fast program for modeling, it gets strong when you collect your extensions and plugins,

I've collected many for mine! I have a nice going with this app, but with one big major problem which made me to forget about it couple of years ago! but this time I don't want to give up! I want to find a solution! :poly136:

The problem as many of you may know is the Triangles! when you export your models from sketchUp you get triangles! if you don't click export as tri, you face even more problems, gaps, flipped normals...

So how we can fix this? please help me out here, I'm hopeless! :(

I've tried many ways, some worked half way, like I used Zremesher from Zbrush, but the models won't be sharp, when re topologizing it (maybe i need to work harder with Zremesher!), using manual re topo is time consuming,

There is an extension called Quad Face Tool in Extension Warehouse, it's handy but won't work with Boolean models,

You can use draw tool inside sketchUp to make more quad faces but it's not enough...

Editing the Mesh from your primary tool is helpful but still not perfect solution (I use Modo mostly)

So yea If you have any solutions, plz share it in comments, tnx.

P.S I attached some hopeless efforts of mine with Zremesher!

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    What's wrong with having triangles if your shape isn't changing? If you're trying to have a quad mesh for sculpting, just Dynamesh it and you can use your triangulated version as a low poly, or you can make a new low poly by retopologizing after you've finished sculpting.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    @Makan: I didn't really read everything because it's hard to read and evaluate complex computer problem without paragraph structure. But from what Bartalon is saying "he is right", triangles are quite fine when working with highrez geometry. Whether it be for Zbrush, Max or Modo. Todays modeling apps will have a window for such meshes. You just need to be wise about it.

rockplate2.jpg
  • Makan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makan polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, well as you know for baking the textures and unwrapping, triangles are not good, but yea for static meshes it's okay though I like to find a way to achieve quads with sketchUp!
  • Makan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makan polycounter lvl 7
    peanut™ wrote: »
    @Makan: I didn't really read everything because it's hard to read and evaluate complex computer problem without paragraph structure. But from what Bartalon is saying "he is right", triangles are quite fine when working with highrez geometry. Whether it be for Zbrush, Max or Modo. Todays modeling apps will have a window for such meshes. You just need to be wise about it.

rockplate2.jpg

Hi, well as you know for baking the textures and unwrapping, triangles are not good, but yea for static meshes it's okay though I like to find a way to achieve quads with sketchUp!
  • Makan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makan polycounter lvl 7
    Bartalon wrote: »
    What's wrong with having triangles if your shape isn't changing? If you're trying to have a quad mesh for sculpting, just Dynamesh it and you can use your triangulated version as a low poly, or you can make a new low poly by retopologizing after you've finished sculpting.
  • Makan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makan polycounter lvl 7
    @peanut did you have problems baking textures with triangles?
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The map came out flawless, didn't ask much effort to texture. that's why i don't really bother with triangles except for rounded pieces to some extent. And with darker colors applied it's easier to mask unwanted glitches.
  • Makan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makan polycounter lvl 7
    @peanut I see, but It's not optimized, you know it costs more memory, if we use let's say 100 of these models, it will increase the size, consume more memory...there should be a better way or we should make a way!
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Makan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makan polycounter lvl 7
    Guys I think I've found a way that helps, I post it tonight.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makan wrote: »
    @peanut did you have problems baking textures with triangles?

You need to bake with triangles. It's the standard workflow. Never bake with a low poly mesh made of quads.
  • Makan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makan polycounter lvl 7
    WarrenM wrote: »
    You need to bake with triangles. It's the standard workflow. Never bake with a low poly mesh made of quads.
    Hi, you mean those triangles created from quad models that are clean and even? Or those Boolean type triangle polygons? Like exported models from sketchUp? :poly121:
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @peanut I see, but It's not optimized, you know it costs more memory, if we use let's say 100 of these models, it will increase the size, consume more memory...there should be a better way or we should make a way!

Makan it is optimized, why do you think i used triangles in the first place. Beside that we don't care about triangle since we bake and use a plane afterward and slap a texture over it.
  • Makan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makan polycounter lvl 7
    Makan it is optimized, why do you think i used triangles in the first place.
    Thanks, I will put more thoughts for using triangles, I like to know more about it.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, i think i understood what you meant, the image below would be what we put in the game engine, it's the optimized part that you speak of.

triangles.jpg
  • Makan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makan polycounter lvl 7
    Ok, i think i understood what you meant, the image below would be what we put in the game engine, it's the optimized part that you speak of.

triangles.jpg

Yes sir, I want to turn SketchUp models to this type of polygons, sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language (though I think I'm doing good!).
  • Makan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makan polycounter lvl 7
    WarrenM wrote: »
    why not subdividing the quad models, if low poly quad is not good, why go with Triangles?
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    why not subdividing the quad models, if low poly quad is not good, why go with Triangles?

Hello Makan

subdividing the low poly increases it's vertex count and contradicts the high poly to low poly work-flow.

Triangulating the low poly before you bake effectively locks the normals of the low poly, so in the game engine you are ruling out "normal errors".

All game engines use triangulation and that is why it's the rule of thumb to triangulate the lowpoly before you bake. If you let the game engine triangulate the low poly (if you import it as quads) the baked normals will not match because you baked using quads and the game engine triangulates the mesh on import.

good luck
  • Makan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makan polycounter lvl 7
    repete wrote: »
    Hello Makan

subdividing the low poly increases it's vertex count and contradicts the high poly to low poly work-flow.

Triangulating the low poly before you bake effectively locks the normals of the low poly, so in the game engine you are ruling out "normal errors".

All game engines use triangulation and that is why it's the rule of thumb to triangulate the lowpoly before you bake. If you let the game engine triangulate the low poly (if you import it as quads) the baked normals will not match because you baked using quads and the game engine triangulates the mesh on import.

good luck

Great info! thanks, I didn't know this, so it's Important to use Triangles for static meshes for game engines, for things like normal maps and whatnot, but we should use Clean Triangles like the blew picture from our friend to be optimized.
  • Makan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makan polycounter lvl 7
    Okay guys, I've found a way nonetheless, if anyone want to convert triangles to quads in sketchUp you should do these things: (examples are in attachments)

1-First of all in sketchUp try to use your draw tool to make reasonable quads for your model.

2-Use Groups and Component a lot to separate shapes, this create new elements and considered as new static mesh, it all depends on your model though, if your model has parts that has Boolean, try to group that part and use your draw tool to make quads to lower odd shapes you get from Boolean operations.

3-The other fast way is to import your models to Zbrush, and use Zremesher, to get the best out of Zremesher tool, you should use Zremesher Guide Brush, it will help a lot, remember to Group your model's part bring them in Zbrush each in their own subtool.

Explanation for pictures: (from left to right)

1-This is a model I've made in sketchUp I didn't use Draw Tool for cleaning up for this one, and I Grouped each Boolean faces and exported separately and brought them to Zbrush and used Zremesher Guide Brush, I held down shift key while drawing and nicely it chose the edges around the hole for me.

2-And I used Zremesher, the result was really satisfying.

3-I used Zremesher for other parts.

4-This picture is a model I've made in sketchUp but this time, I used Draw Tool to clean around the hole, and I got Fairly nice result, with nice quads and triangles.

After these methods you can edit more further in your primary app, like maya, max, modo...you can weld those separate meshes again and start unwrapping,...or add clean triangles for baking textures (I learned this today in this post have to try it).

tnx.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Makan: If you have models from sketchUp and would like to see others try and optimize a file for you to have an idea of what is a good approach, post it here in fbx format and let us have a look.

Here is mine for you to practice baking, feel free to put it in your own work if you want. Let me know if you have trouble with the host.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=06227869581249275184

• Makan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makan polycounter lvl 7
    @Makan: If you have models from sketchUp and would like to see others try and optimize a file for you to have an idea of what is a good approach, post it here in fbx format and let us have a look.

Here is mine for you to practice baking, feel free to put it in your own work if you want. Let me know if you have trouble with the host.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=06227869581249275184

Great Idea, tnx, I'll try, Actually I'm working on a Oil Project now, making these Subsea Booster things, I'll share some of those models soon as examples of optimized files from sketchUp.