Home Technical Talk

Maya Window Modeling Question

Hey Guys!

Quick question I hope. So I'm working on an Air Traffic Control model to export into Cryengine. I understand the pipeline to get from point A to B for textures & models fine.

My question is more about window modeling in Maya. I have just learned from the guy that wanted me to model a windowless Air Traffic Control now wants me to model it with windows. I could go back to my first save and have a geo blockout of the model but then would have to take a couple hours to get back where I once was.

So my idea/thought is to just take a plane and snap the verts to the corners of the open window sills and combine the Air Traffic Control Tower mesh to the window planes and then merge vertices to make them one whole mesh like shown in the first image. I know it works but my question is, does this method harm anything? Will the model still make sense for UVing/Texturing? I believe as long as the normals are all in the right direction as shown in the second image, the Combine>Merge Verts method should be correct?

The third image just shows the top half of a 51m ATC and has approx 80 open window sills total along with rubble/destroyed walls/windows. So would probably honestly only take me 30-40 minutes to create windows to snap and merge into the open window sills compared to complete remodel, I just want to know if it's 'ethical' and is a solid fix for the predicament I am in. Thanks!

5b78uw.jpg

oggozd.jpg

6h25p4.jpg

Replies

• DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks repeating enough. I'd delete all and leave only 1 side, use poly append tool to fill the window space, duplicate with rotation and merge vertices.
  • ILoveArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Dire wolf thanks for taking the time to look this once over. The model itself is relatively repetitive except it does also have a bit of destroyed frame work/ruin look.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding you right. You're saying to delete a side of the wall to make it planar again and then fill in the holes with append tool but I get lost when you say dupe then rotate and merge. My goal is to keep the thickness of the wall like I currently have but have planar windows inside those window sills while maintaining wall thickness aND having one contiguous mesh . I'm sorry if I'm not envisioning it clearly in what you're saying.