Home Technical Talk

triangle/quad yer or no? And pipeline confusion for games

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
AllinRisks polycounter lvl 2
Hi dear Polycount community!

I have 2 questions

1) I'm learning game asset/character creation and as I understood game engines(I'm aiming against UE4) triangulates models as they get imported. And I'm hearing different opinions regarding having triangles in your models. So Is this something to account for in all stages(meaning high/low poly and other stuff in the pipeline) or is it just something old that stuck?

2)I'm learning 3ds Max and Zbrush, what is the fastest way of creation things for games while combining the two programs?

Thanks for replying! :)

Replies

• TH98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 polycounter lvl 12
    Hi!
    AllinRisks wrote: »
    1) I'm learning game asset/character creation and as I understood game engines(I'm aiming against UE4) triangulates models as they get imported. And I'm hearing different opinions regarding having triangles in your models. So Is this something to account for in all stages(meaning high/low poly and other stuff in the pipeline) or is it just something old that stuck?

I'm not sure exactly what your question is, here. All models are ultimately made of triangles (quads are just two triangles, really). But modeling in (mostly) quads will keep your mesh cleaner and more organized and will be really helpful in tons of situations like UV mapping, vertex skinning, etc. You'll probably always have some triangles here and there, though, if you're working at game resolution.
    AllinRisks wrote: »
    2)I'm learning 3ds Max and Zbrush, what is the fastest way of creation things for games while combining the two programs?

Someone more experienced with 3DS Max should answer this, but basically--you make a high-res model in Zbrush, and a low-res model in 3DS Max, and bake normal maps from the high-res model using xNormal or similar. That's a lot of ground to cover and I'm not sure what the optimal way to do it is with 3DS Max, but I recommend looking up some guides to normal map baking so you're familiar with the process.

Good luck!
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Triangles are perfectly fine. You just have to know when to use them.

On low poly : Use tris, whenever you need/ want. Usually you triangulate when you want an edge to be a certain way.
    Only downward is, while editing the model, it makes selection a bit harder, because loop and ring tools won't work. So generally speaking, you don't fully triangulate a low poly model while building it. You might need to fully triangulate before any normal map baking tho, to prevent importer/exporter to triangulate different ways.

On high poly : General rule : if it smoothes fine, it's fine. Once a model is subdivided, everything is quad ! Ain't that beautiful.
    A triangle will create a bit of pinching when subdivided. This might or not be wanted. Sometimes a ngon will be the best approach. A triangle on a flat surface won't change anything. Most people don't bother to connect edges on a flat surface anyway. On a curved surface, if you want everything smooth, you'll certainly want to avoid triangles. Another thing to consider is poles are harder to sculpt in zbrush, as the topology is more dense on them. Might create pinching aswell.

Anyway, juste practice, and light will come to you.

As for the workflow, it totally depends of the subject, constraints... But generally, it's back and forth between the 2 softs. Some people will build their hp fully in zbrush, some will start the blockout in max, then go in zbrush...then adjust back in max...Then retopology in a 3rd soft, bake in a 4th...No hard rules here.
  • AllinRisks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 wrote: »
    Hi!

I'm not sure exactly what your question is, here.

Thanks for the answer TH98! Yeah that was basically it, so focus on quads as much as i can :)

2)Yeah that was what I learned as far for now :) The idea I have is that you also can make small hard surface objects fast in 3ds max rather then Zbrush.
  • AllinRisks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »
    Triangles are perfectly fine. You just have to know when to use them.

Anyway, juste practice, and light will come to you.

Wow thanks so much for the good info :) good stuff right there!
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Heh yeah, at some point you just have to do it. And you'll see if it subdivides like shit or not ^^
    Learning from errors == experience
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Triangles = good

Quads = clean looking = good for pimping them hoes.(?) I think so anyway.

Ngons?! (status unknown.)
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Its crazy the number of times i heard to avoid using triangles at all costs while learning on my own from youtube and other web sources. Turns out, not quite accurate...
  • AllinRisks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- wrote: »
    Its crazy the number of times i heard to avoid using triangles at all costs while learning on my own from youtube and other web sources. Turns out, not quite accurate...

Yeah, thats what Im doing. And probably why I was confused :P
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz wrote: »
    Triangles = good

Quads = clean looking = good for pimping them hoes.(?) I think so anyway.

Ngons?! (status unknown.)

Does it smooth correctly? Then it's fine.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing to be wary of with quads is that the triangulation (how the quads are split into triangles) can have an effect on normal mapping.

So it's often a good idea to triangulate your mesh before baking and exporting to the game engine, to ensure that everything is consistent.

Other than that, model in tris or quads... your choice. Mix and match them if needed. Although I'd advise keeping any ngons to the high poly mesh, as they can be more problematic in the low.