Home Technical Talk

XNormals still an accpted workflow?

vertex
Offline / Send Message
1813 vertex
I have a question in the industry is xnormals still used as a way that you would create normals? I seen a lot of fellow artist talk about Modo and substance as a replacement and even some using max or Maya even ZBrush to create maps like this.

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, xNormal is still used a lot. Although there are a lot more viable alternatives cropping up these days.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Yes it's still very much in use, I use it all the time. It's just one way of obtaining normal (and other) maps, it doesn't matter what you use as long as you get the results you want efficiently. Unless you have a really specific synced workflow of course :)
  • a3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3D
    Farfarer wrote: »
    Yeah, xNormal is still used a lot. Although there are a lot more viable alternatives cropping up these days.

what makes said alternatives more viable?
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    I still haven't got a perfect synched workflow(MikkT) using Substance Bakers, so yeah, XNormals is still my go to for baking normals.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3D wrote: »

Faster and/or easier to use or better quality?
  • oblomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    @a3D : He probably meant there is an increasing number of viable alternatives rather than a lot of "more viable alternatives".
    I still haven't got a perfect synched workflow(MikkT) using Substance Bakers
    @MDiamond : Even with the "compute Binormals in pixel shader option" on ? I'd really like to have failure cases because that should be a 100% match now. Maybe we should move that discussion to PM or the Substance support threads in order to not derail that thread.
  • echofourpapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
    I use xNormal just about everyday.
  • a3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3D
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Faster and/or easier to use or better quality?
    Well, this doesn't answer the question, does it?
    Maybe I can be more specific.
    What specific qualities have appeared in which alternate software that put them above xNormals, if any?
    oblomov wrote: »
    @a3D : He probably meant there is an increasing number of viable alternatives rather than a lot of "more viable alternatives"
    Oh, this is possible.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3D wrote: »
    Well, the existing ones (Max, Maya, pre-901 MODO) didn't bake to any engine's tangent basis. You could bake in them, but they wouldn't sync fully.

MODO 901 supports custom tangent basis now. And Substance's baking tools, along with Knald and Mightybake are fairly new to the scene, and will bake to MikkTSpace. So before then, you really only had xNormal if you wanted to bake to a specific tangent basis (and Handplane).

There's a lot more choice these days :)
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    I'm also interested in knowing.

1-Unless I'm mistaken, XN is widely believed to give the best quality, but take slightly more time, and only prints normals in MikkTSpace, correct?
    2-The "only" two advantages of other bakers, are time & tangent basis options, correct?
    3-(a little off-topic) No matter the baker, you still need the same things (low, high, cage) to bake correct normals? (if the low and high are simply enough, then perhaps you can just bake with averaged normals like in SD/SP and skip using a cage)
  • a3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3D
    Justo wrote: »

1-Unless I'm mistaken, XN is widely believed to give the best quality, but take slightly more time, and only prints normals in MikkTSpace, correct?
    2-The "only" two advantages of other bakers, are time & tangent basis options, correct?
    3-(a little off-topic) No matter the baker, you still need the same things (low, high, cage) to bake correct normals? (if the low and high are simply enough, then perhaps you can just bake with averaged normals like in SD/SP and skip using a cage)

1- XN gives high quality. When baking 8-Bit it makes banding rather than dithering (3DSMax dithers instead), it's not a quality issue, just something you need to know.
    I'm not sure if it's considered slow, in my experience it's not worse than Maya.
    XN has its own default algorythm. It is not limited to Mikk. In fact, Mikk TS is an option that has to be activated via the Plug-In manager.
    XN supports Unity Tangent Space too, via plug-in as well.

This partially answers question 2 as well - XN supports synced workflow to various engines

3- Actually, alternate techniques exist. You already mentioned skipping the cage with SD, I'd also point to:

Renderer based smooth corners
    This allows to avoid modeling a highpoly

Custom vertex normals
    A technique used to avoid baking entirely, using "mid-poly" meshes
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Thank you for answering, a3D. Very insightful! : )
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo wrote: »

XNormal quality is fine, although it only supports 16bit output via TIFF format (and EXR, but that's a hefty format to use).

XNormal supports specific tangent bases via plugins. It's still the only baker outside of MODO that does, as far as I'm aware of. Although Handplane works for a lot of engines.

You don't need a cage with xNormal any more than you do for other software. It's recommended you use one, but if you can get away without it then fair enough :P
  • oblomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    XNormal supports specific tangent bases via plugins. It's still the only baker outside of MODO that does, as far as I'm aware of.
    Substance Designer also does.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, didn't know there was an SDK for that :)