Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge October 2013 (12)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
Welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge October 2013 (12)!

It's hard to believe it's been almost a year:')

Join our Skype group too if you want! Add me on Skype and I will add you to the group.

You don't have to join the skype if you don't want to though, you don't need to ask to participate or anything, just start doing it and post in this thread!

This month's concept.
kV9DvnX.jpg
Concept by Richard Dumont

Feel free to approach this however you like but I'd recommend making it as modular as possible to save time and keep things optimized:) It's up to you, as long as you are learning then it doesn't matter right?

There are some things that I would like to point out to for newcomers,
if you only want to do a few props as best you can, go for it! This way you can work on building up to a full scene.

RULES:

Please read all the rules.

When you are just starting out making a scene can seem complicated or imposing, so break it down.

Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible plan it out, a lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some refs as well for different parts of the scene, maybe gather some refs and make it your own.
Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.

All that matters is that you learn and give and get advice and are willing to be critiqued.

So here are the specific rules:
Try to do one crit for every post you make, this will make for a better learning environment and help us grow as artists.

Must make your own textures, no stealing, we can't keep you from it, but the goal is to learn, even tileables, I mean you can take someone else's image and make it tileable, that's fine.

You must use a game engine OBVIOUSLY. UDK or Cryengine will probably be the most used, but feel free to use any.

You must try your best and finish as much as you can in this month.

Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique and we don't have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

Well that's about it, if you think the rules should be changed let us know.

I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

Please stay away from Ddo, yeah, it's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, please don't complain.

Feel free to join in our community run challenges! Check out our new 2D challenge!

Replies

• LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Good times ahead!

For those looking for in-game reference. I believe the corridor is at 1:13. All be it rather brief..

http://youtu.be/iVbbqseOg2c?t=1m13s

Good luck people :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    wow looks alot different in game
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Certainly does. Shame that it's also viewed from the opposite end to the concept..

The yellow floor lines are extremely subtle in comparison to the vibrancy seen in the concept.
  • jesterhead
    Nice, need to learn hard surface more. So im in! I will join when my exam is done so next weak i will start!
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    personally i think people are best to avoid using in game material as reference, just follow the concept see what you can come up with, and where you can take the concept with its transformation to the 3d world.
  • Shuaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    should i just stick to model everything in max or try out a texture sheet with ndo2
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    passerby - Totally. I just posted that because i could remember a few people requesting it in the concept thread.

Be cool to see how people interpret the areas out of shot! :)
  • Navi271
    Offline / Send Message
    Navi271 polycounter lvl 4
    Awesome! I already have some ideas going in my head.

Good luck to everyone!
  • [Deleted User]
    I think i'm gonna participate this month, no more lurking from me :D

I suck at the importing to UDK workflow so hopefully there's help on hand in skype or whatever :P Should be fun.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    think i might jump in for once, even know i only got a few hours a week of time
    quick little blockout in bsp, still need to add to it.
    deusExHallway01.JPG
  • Navi271
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuze - Hey, I suck at it as well! haha, last month was my first time importing assets into UDK. It took a while, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Ok, doing a breakdown the of the hallway, I have a bunch of little pieces of the environment in my head. This consists of different wall models and textures, a flat floor and different textures, the bench, the pipes, the wires, other things, and then I wasn't sure what to do with the corner at the back end of the scene.

Now I have an idea on making them all modular, and I think it just might work!
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    Navi271 wrote: »
    Yuze - Hey, I suck at it as well! haha, last month was my first time importing assets into UDK. It took a while, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Ok, doing a breakdown the of the hallway, I have a bunch of little pieces of the environment in my head. This consists of different wall models and textures, a flat floor and different textures, the bench, the pipes, the wires, other things, and then I wasn't sure what to do with the corner at the back end of the scene.

Now I have an idea on making them all modular, and I think it just might work!

ya curious what you decide to do with the outer wall corner, om thinking of just building a pillar for it all to press into. but maybe lofting the profile of the wall around a curve could work too.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Sorry but has it officially started? or do we have to wait for the 12th? (Fairly new to challenges) also is it okay to do the 2d challenge as well? or must we only do one?
    thanks.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry but has it officially started? or do we have to wait for the 12th? (Fairly new to challenges) also is it okay to do the 2d challenge as well? or must we only do one?
    thanks.

This is the 12th challenge.
  • Navi271
    Offline / Send Message
    ^Yes it has officially started! It starts as soon as this thread is posted. The (12) just tells you this is the 12th Monthly Community Noob Challenge polycount has hosted.

I can't see why you couldn't do both the 3D and 2D challenge. Just keep in mind that they will both be large time commmitments. You could be spending a good chunk of time figuring things out and learning new techniques.

Edit: I see Alex is on top of things already... haha
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    ^Yes it has officially started! It starts as soon as this thread is posted. The (12) just tells you this is the 12th Monthly Community Noob Challenge polycount has hosted.

I can't see why you couldn't do both the 3D and 2D challenge. Just keep in mind that they will both be large time commmitments. You could be spending a good chunk of time figuring things out and learning new techniques.

Actually the 2D doesn't and that's the best part, draw something and leave!

That's why I'll be doing it too because I suck at 2d:)
  • JamesArk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Love the concept (and Deus Ex). Will be nice to get back at these Challenges after taking September off. :D
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the 12th challenge.
    K Thanks
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message

ah i see now lol, guess i'll be doing my first noob challenge and probably 2d as well..
    gonna have to get some tuts on udk though, never used it before and practically a noob in 3d as well.
    anyway thanks and glhf!
  • TazN
    Never got time to finish my last entry but I've gone down to p/t work so I can get back on the old 3d horse and cant see a better way than to jump into this challenge.

Currently working on a basic block out to see how things fit together. Need to see if I even have udk still installed on this computer....

I'm off on holiday for a full week during October so want to get as much done before going so I can just tidy the scene up at the end of the month.

Look forward to seeing peoples take on the concept.
  • keosar
    Offline / Send Message
    keosar polycounter lvl 16
    Gonna jump in on this one! Trying to be more active on the forums :)
  • Silver Spade
    Going to try this one. Shame I wasn't able to finish the last one.
  • MerlinTheWiz4rd
    Offline / Send Message
    MerlinTheWiz4rd polycounter lvl 5
    Looks like fun, I'm in.
  • Lew
    I'm gonna jump on this too - there, that's my message of intent, now I have to do it.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    Lew wrote: »
    I'm gonna jump on this too - there, that's my message of intent, now I have to do it.

hehe same reason why i posted after a few min of blocking out, no i HAVE to do it.
  • alecchalmers
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    I'll commit this month as well. I'm in the same boat as a few others, in that I am UDK noob, but I'll hopefully improve through this competition.

Oh yea I don't have the internet in my new place for half the month so I may be really slow to reply to anything as I'm using cafe wifi nearby.
  • Shuaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Heres my blockout so far gonna continue later tonight, do you guys think its ok or does it seem off?

LN2Fe2M.jpg
  • mats effect
    Working on other stuff at the moment but I totally want to do that bench on the left of the concept so I am in to do a sort of mini version :)
  • Silver Spade
    3 questions that cross my head at the moment.

1.) At the end of the hall, is there another hallway/lookout point going towards the left? (before the sliding doors)
    2.) Do the columns on the left sort of curve inwards nearing the end of the hallway?
    3.) Given that the columns on the left total to 12 columns, and that there is at least a tile between each one (making it that there are 24 tiles), does that mean it is a relatively long corridor? Or do the columns get closer near the end?

My apologies if the questions may appear out of place, though I have this tendency to get too much into detail. If I find the time, I will show an image as to what I mean.
  • rockguy
    Shuaws : Fast start , but watch out , your scale is kinda big for the scene I think.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message

1.) At the end of the hall, is there another hallway/lookout point going towards the left? (before the sliding doors)
    2.) Do the columns on the left sort of curve inwards nearing the end of the hallway?
    3.) Given that the columns on the left total to 12 columns, and that there is at least a tile between each one (making it that there are 24 tiles), does that mean it is a relatively long corridor? Or do the columns get closer near the end?

My apologies if the questions may appear out of place, though I have this tendency to get too much into detail. If I find the time, I will show an image as to what I mean.

it's your job to decide how you want to handle things like this, and what you want to add or remove.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    did a little more work on the block out.
    deusExHallway02MnU.JPG
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15

1. Yeah, from what I can see, this corridor goes into another corridor that goes right, not left, if you look though the windows, there is nothing there.
    2. Yeah, it does seem like there is a slight curve at the end, however you can decide that you want to keep it modular and keep it straight, especially since its such a weak curve, and not very noticable. I would personally recommend either keep it straight or make it even more curved, if you want to break the straight flow.
    3. Often 2D cheats a bit with how much its split when it goes away, as it can be hard to get it correct. I would again go with what looks best and modular. 100% accuracy with a drawing can bite you in the arse. ;)

And I'm gonna give it a go as well, and this time actually finish it. So it has been declared and so I will have to fullfill my words or the Void of Promises will call out in shame......PS. Cut down on coffee while I'm at it...
  • Silver Spade
    @ passerby - Thanks. :D

Nice job by the way on your block out.

@ McGreed

- Hmm, I thought the glass was just reflecting off light, making it seem there might be something there, oh well.
    - Thank you for the advice, I'll try to make sure it doesn't bite my in the arse. :D (Though I might dwell too much on detail, hopefully not... too much).

I'm still in the planning phase of sorts. And made this sort of layout for the models. Will work on textures given I have more spare time.
  • Shuaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Rockguy: Just wondering if you ment everything in general is to bigger or if its to wide or tall? Thanks for the reply though
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    im trying to decide how to do the floor, would this be a good time to try and use nDo2 ?
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    im trying to decide how to do the floor, would this be a good time to try and use nDo2 ?

that or doing subd work with a lot of floaters and baking to a plane
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    think subd probably worth more practice since not all companies would have nDo2 ? Is that a worthwhile assessment ? Still looking for my first job
  • [Deleted User]
    Why skype instead of google hangout btw?
  • Navi271
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually the 2D doesn't and that's the best part, draw something and leave!

That's why I'll be doing it too because I suck at 2d:)

Well dang, maybe I should actually read about the 2D challenge instead of just skimming over it before making a comment about it and embarrassing myself!

From what I see so far with the blockouts, it looks like the length of the hallway is anyone's guess. Also, I know you guys are just using the default directional light in UDK, but it will need to be much lower! Notice the light in the concept casts all the way across the hall and halfway up the other side.

Shuaws - I think your hallway is a bit too wide, or at least wider than passerby's.
  • skyline5gtr
  • tyddynroger
    Offline / Send Message
    tyddynroger polycounter lvl 6
    i can see this one being epic!
  • Shuaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    So here are some fixes i think it looks a little better i made a few changes

EcYnbsc.jpg
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shuaws whats going on with the pure black bit's ,s that lighting bugging out or is that the materials?

also i think your scale might be too large, if your using that charcter mesh as a reference
  • rockguy
    Shuaws : I will say is too wide, but overall is going the right direction
  • Shuaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    @Passerby i just had lighting on so its causing shadows in that area and yah ill keep fixing it up.

@Rockguy ill keep fixing it thanks.
  • keosar
    Offline / Send Message
    keosar polycounter lvl 16
    Here is my blockout of the scene. Ignore the Red, I was testing out diffuse bounce. Going to start work on some of the HP modeling. I wanted to use nDo2 but my trial expired >_<..

DeusEX_Scene_WIP001_zps7099c89a.jpg
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    Well, I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring for this one. Looks fun.
    Heres a blockout in UDK:
    pxKWUUw.jpg

And a better blockout in maya:
    EJgEjyR.jpg

I have to redo my scaling and such so everything snaps correctly, cause right now, it doesn't snap right in udk. but this is what i got right now.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    @keosar, if you snap your lightmap uv's to pixels and make sure you got sufficient padding, it should kill that bleed you got going on. and if that dosnt work, just use the pillars to cover up where meshes meet.

here is what im doing sofar, still planning and trying to figure out what im going to do with that corner.
    deusExHallway02.JPG
  • Shuaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    I dont mean to be spamming with pictures just want some input and thanks to everyone thats been helping out. So im done for today ill continue tomorrow heres my last screenshot for tonight

OfZrdcK.jpg