Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WARCRAFT IV - 3D FANART

Hi Everyone !

Last year we did the Polycount Challenge "The Escape" with two colleagues
(This one ! http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117818 ), it was really fun to work together on personnal stuff
and we've just decided to do it again, for our portfolio !

This time we will be only 2: Maurin & myself, but Tom will feedback us as well I'm pretty sure of that ;)

We're gonna make a Blizzard fanart: A fake Warcraft IV Scene :)

warcraft4_fanart_ulrick_maurin_wip_00.jpgwarcraft4_fanart_ulrick_maurin_wip_00.jpg

So here's the main goals:

- Each of us will make a Faction
(Maurin will make the Pandarens, as if it was a new playable faction in Warcraft 4, and I will make the Humans, to test how we could adapt existing and well known faction in a "next gen" style)

- We will create enough assets to make a little diorama scene, but also some fake "in-game screens"

- We're more Environment Artists (or even Texturing Artists) than Character Artist, but we'll try to add 1 of each faction (as a Bonus ;) !)

- We will obviously try to keep real technical constraints for the game, like the possibility to change faction colors,
a good polycount and textures ratio, good shapes size for the RTS style, etc.

Please, Give us LOTS of feedback, we want to polish that one as far as we can :)

Thx !

So let's start!

Our main References are Hearthstone (the Board) and World of Warcraft of course, Warcraft 2 for the good old ref, a bit less the 3rd, in which the art direction is quite different.

Maurin's research for the Pandaren Farm and Watch Tower:

warcraft4_fanart_ulrick_maurin_wip_02.jpgwarcraft4_fanart_ulrick_maurin_wip_02.jpg

My research for the Human Farm and Guard Tower:

warcraft4_fanart_ulrick_maurin_wip_01.jpgwarcraft4_fanart_ulrick_maurin_wip_01.jpg

Screnshot of both for the "in game size" and the coherence:

warcraft4_fanart_ulrick_maurin_wip_03.jpgwarcraft4_fanart_ulrick_maurin_wip_03.jpg

Bonus: my WIP for the Human Gallion, just to show the process:

warcraft4_fanart_ulrick_maurin_wip_04.jpgwarcraft4_fanart_ulrick_maurin_wip_04.jpg

We'll try to make some quick setches of what we have in mind for the Diorama too !

Replies