Home General Discussion

It led me to a site called "Polycount" [Josh Singh Origin Story]

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
http://joshsinghblog.blogspot.ca/2014/11/my-origin-story.html?m=1
I found an artist around my area who worked at one of the local game studios. His art was amazing. I reached out and emailed him to ask him for some feedback on my "Portfolio". He Ripped Me To Shreds. I was reading his reply at 3 am, and felt horrible, as if on cue, My wife sensed something was wrong and asked me what was up I said "I don't know if I have what it takes to do this." "This guy completely ripped my portfolio to pieces." and the thing that hurt the most, was He was absolutely right. I did not have what it took to work in video games, my stuff was amateur and sloppy. It was a huge slam to my ego. I had always been told by my High school art teachers, my family and friends that I was awesome at art, and here was a working professional whom I admired hitting me with a dose of cold hard reality.

Replies

• Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I think the most important thing to take away from that specific quote is that he kept trying afterwards. I've known a lot of artists who despair and give up or go in denial and then their work never improves.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    tumblr_mg6hq8HBu71s216f7o1_500.jpg

But seriously, I loved this blog post. It gives a lot of hope.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    That's some crazy dedication. Definitely gives me some perspective.
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    cool, to me having talents is partly about keeping trying what you love without loosing hope and every time you progress a bit, if you have that, you'll win.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Is it possible that many artists just struggle with traditional modeling applications such as 3DS Max and would simply perform much better if they were mainly using ZBrush?

I remember reading about a film studio where a lead claimed that they prefer to hire traditional artists, and that they don't train them for Maya but for ZB, because it's much more natural for them to work in.
    Can't remember the source for this though.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    traditional artists are one thing, for film especially.

but for games, zbrush is only one part of production, you gotta be really really good to stay just in zbrush.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Kwramm wrote: »
    I remember reading about a film studio where a lead claimed that they prefer to hire traditional artists, and that they don't train them for Maya but for ZB, because it's much more natural for them to work in.

Yep, at an old job it was funny seeing traditional artists open ZB for the first time and produce something amazing, even though they didn't know the program that well :D

Awesome article, have been following Josh's work for a while and he is super talented :thumbup: