Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge September 2013 (11)

Replies

• Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerogun polycounter lvl 9
    Able to get things imported and laid out into UDK.
    9928289576_b8003eed39_c.jpg
    Gotta redo the tables, get the pillars done, and work on all the tiny knick-knacks like the bottles and posters and glasses.
  • tyddynroger
    Offline / Send Message
    tyddynroger polycounter lvl 6
    getting there! stupid gta v sapping up my time!

Capture.JPG

first attempt at painted textures, need to rework some uvs and add some colour variation. plenty to do :)
  • Elzy
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    This might be a silly-silly-incoming-facepalm question buuuuuut is there a way to bake out a color on an object without having to really use the bake feature and export a diffuse? I feel like my workflow is burdened by too many steps lately.
  • Elzy
    Zerogun wrote: »
    This might be a silly-silly-incoming-facepalm question buuuuuut is there a way to bake out a color on an object without having to really use the bake feature and export a diffuse? I feel like my workflow is burdened by too many steps lately.

For what I understand of your question, I don't believe so. I assume your using ddo for your texturing? Otherwise I don't see the benefit of baking out diffuse maps unless your baking from highpoly / multiple UV onto low poly / single map.

If your not using Ddo, what is your workflow?
  • pikamau5
    Offline / Send Message
    pikamau5 polycounter lvl 6
    Here's my submission to this month's challenge :) :
    noob_challenge_render_1_by_smelmibut-d6nynl7.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    CRIIIIIIIT DUMP!
    Fidrik
    ScreenShot00008_zpse8a190bc.png
    I would say that the cracks in your floor look to repetetive. The same square crack looks very noticable. Even though its been rotated

riceart
    2hno0lz.png
    Looking really good! Though making the room extend on the right and keeping the beam of light doesnt make any sence. unless the room oppostite has a very strong blue light. It's meant to represent the exterior from what I can make out comparing it to the window.

m4dcow
    4PHPBFA.png
    Loving this the wood and floor has a really nice feel, but your daub walls need more character! it looks like the autogenerated noise you get from zbrush on a plane.

Endzeit
    nZ0QQk1.jpg
    Great first attempt. You need to work on your cracks though. They don't look part of the texture. The obvious brush strokes around the edges of each one makes them look seperated. Also your guidlines are still in the texture where you have worked out where the slabs need to go. I would also experiment with putting some AO in and sharpening up some of your edges.

Zerogun

From the sounds of it you want to bake vertex colour into a diffuse map and render that out? What program are you using? In max you add a vertex colour modifier onto your object. Paint in your colours. Drop a material on your object with vertex colour set in the channel. Then just render to texture and bake out the diffuse. what exactly is this? Could you detail your current workflow?

Also Ddo is meant to be avoided in these challenges if you are using it like Elzy thinks. Because while Ddo is great this is meant to be a learning challenge.

Pretty much done with mine just a few bits of food left to make. I will post end result later today :D
  • theonewhoknocks
    Offline / Send Message
    theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
    Here is my update, still working on the lighting trying to get the right warm colors for this scene. Right I'm just trying to finish up all the assets in the scene and get those out of the way to focus on some optimization of the textures. I'll be posting some texture work in a bit.

Tiny_Bar_SS_1_zps36206644.jpg
  • AzzaMat
  • lamar McHaney
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    Kind of late on this challenge but here is what I started last week.

Asset+Planning.jpgWeek2.jpg
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Spent way too much time over engineering the pipes. I doubt I'll have everything done by month end, but I'll start putting things into UDK, and I might have a scene with sub par bottles or something.
    WdnFU6G.png
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    AzzaMat wrote: »
    NewRender.jpg

DishWater.jpg

Very nice work, looks very near to the concept. Only Critique point is the light, it looks to whit/blue. I think a warmer tone will fit the scene better
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Awesome work people. You have all done the concept justice.

AzzaMat - You never cease to amaze dude. I loved following your Dishounorama. And i echo the above, you've nailed the concept! :)
  • WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    37Ss6LH.jpg

I've just about finished everything. Want to work on some of the textures a bit more, but will see if I have time. Just need to throw it all in unity now, probably should have done it earlier.
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    Pennywise polycounter lvl 18
    Here is my latest update. We will see what I can get done over the weekend. Probably not as much as I would like. Got the tables in and started playing with the lights a bit. There are a lot of nice scenes in here so far. Looking forward to seeing what everyone gets done by the end of the month.

ScreenShot15.jpg

ScreenShot16.jpg
  • Elzy
    Due to various reason I'm not going to be able to work on this today or tomorrow. So here's what I have which I'm not really happy with as there's alot of stuff I have missed or wanted to redo.

Ah well, Lessons learned and got to practice hand painting for the first time. Its been fun watching other peoples work come together, shame alot of the starting people either dropped out or just haven't bothered posting updates but good to see so many people get involved.

Back to uni tomorrow, hopefully I'll be able to use some of the skills I learnt on this project there.

qYatmVy.png

P.s, Thanks to Simon Kopp for letting us use his concept art.
  • riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    Getting back from a break, before update i would like to give some feedback. Im not professional so this are only my amateur thoughts
    @Elzy, really like overal feel, but there is a bit to many dark places in room (under table/stairs), everything looks to perfect (wooden planks) stains on tables are same on both. This looks pretty unnatural.
    @Pennywise, i think that you moved to far from a concept, im not sure if this is good or bad but i think that the purpose of a "noob challenge" is to stick to concept as close as possible. You spend to much time on detailing those wooden elements, they look really nice but they are definitly not like on given concept. Same goes with modeling, room looks off.
    @WadeWT, im waiting for screenshots with lighting cause at the moment this cant be judged. But i think that you could put some more detail on wooden planks. Im not sure about this violet in shadows. Maybe this will look different with unity lighting. I love blender too ;)
    @Azzamat, lighting looks really epic, especially those blue beams. You are really close to concept but i dont like your textures. They need a lot more work.
    @pikamau5, this looks good overally but need more work. I like poster and axe in door

regards, rice
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    AzzaMat wrote: »
    NewRender.jpg

looking rreally good, love how you did the light pouring in
  • jovcem
    Offline / Send Message
    jovcem polycounter lvl 9
    LuCh! wrote: »
    looking rreally good, love how you did the light pouring in

One way to do it is with a transparent texture on a plane
  • inwar
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
  • riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    here's my update
    2q36duh.png
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys glad you like it :D
    I will try making the room feel warmer.

The light shaft is just an alpha on a plane with a decal on the wall.

riceart - Could you be more specific about what you don't like about the texures? Is it all of them or just some? What specifically needs more work? Thanks for the critique.
  • riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    i think that they are a bit to sterile and need some detail (scratches/dirt/grain etc).
  • tyddynroger
    Offline / Send Message
    tyddynroger polycounter lvl 6
    as tomorrow is the final day, i'll post mine up then as i still have a few things to do.
  • Navi271
    Offline / Send Message
    Navi271 polycounter lvl 4
    Well there's no way I'll get everything done on time, but I'll post what I have tomorrow night.

riceart - Nice! I really like how it looks all put together. If you were going for a close to exact replica of the image, I'd say the color of either the lighting and/or the wood textures is off. It looks darker than it is in the image.
    Also, the shutter, small door, half door, whatever you want to call it, next to the pan of water has something funky going on with the blue lighting. The door should be blocking more of the light out.
  • WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    4O7rfGx.jpg

Put it all into unity, some things came out a bit weird, but overall I'm happy with it - some lighting problems with my bottles not included.

@Pennywise - I really like some of the extra details you've added like on that bar window thing, your wood texture looks super nice also, but your scene looks really squashed and too spacious.

@ Elzy - really nice! I just wish you had a bit more colour in your lights, the black shadows bring it down a bit.

@ Inwar - It might be the FOV but yours looks a lot more spacious than the concept, needs to be cozier, everything looks quite lovely, though.

@ Azzamat - yours is super nice as well, perhaps a bit bright, doesn't look moody enough.

@ Riceart -I got nothin', awesome job.
  • inwar
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    @WadeWT here is lower fov, but yes my scene is wider. LiamStones_c11.jpg
  • riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    My final entry in this challenge, i had lot of fun doing it. Thanks to Simon Kopp for awsome concept. And to all of you guys, great job.
    28artap.png
    11ikad2.png
    avoqc0.png
    2z3yqfb.png
    texture breakdown
    30b1m5f.png
    regards
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    Some really nice scenes in here. Everyone did a great job.

I was not able to get mine done, but that's fine. I plan on taking a few more weeks and finishing it up. Here is what I ended up with after for the month.

I know I was getting dinged for not following the concept close enough, but I am fine with that also. Most time when I work from concept I try and fill in my own details. I think one I get all the props in the scene it should fill it out more. I plan on adding a few more props that are not in the concept also that will fill things up more. For me this challenge was more of an exercise in hand painted textures.

Again great job to everyone that took part.

ScreenShot19.jpg

ScreenShot20.jpg
  • theonewhoknocks
    Offline / Send Message
    theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
    Inwar love your scene and materials. This is what I was able to get done. The lighting was tricky, still working on it.

Tiny_bar_1_zpsa63b3f09.jpg

Tiny_bar_2_zpsae06b50c.jpg
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    Great job everyone!

I'm happy with the progress I've had in a month's time. There's a lot of things I'll change in my pipeline next time, and hope to get better at it. It';s still needs a lot of polish, and I'll be putting in the extra effort in it before I can call it a portfolio piece.

Once again, great job to all who took part in this challenge!

mZMl6yW.jpg
  • Navi271
    Offline / Send Message
    Navi271 polycounter lvl 4
    Well this is what I have done for the month, minus a week because I started late.

NoobChallengeSept1_zpsd5968e68.png

NoobChallengeSept2_zpse08fcf68.png

It doesn't look like much, but I've learned so much from this. I've never imported my own assets into UDK before, nor had to make separate UV's for lightmaps. As you can see there are none of the smaller assets in the scene yet. I'll continue to work on this until it's done, and there are a few things I may end up changing in the textures I've already done.

I'm excited to see what next month's challenge will be!
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, got it done in time so hopefully it looks decent enough. Not too happy with it. But I am proud to get this done and add this to my portfolio. Textures are a mix of dDo with hand making the high poly for the bakes.
    10032468425_fb2ab3a9e7_c.jpg
    10032422674_1e1ae4980d_c.jpg
    Any creative critiques welcome.
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Zerogun. Congrats on finishing! :D Here is a bit of critique for you.

1. Your lighting is toooooo bright. Its causing a lot of your texture work to become washed out and the red tinge is making everything look strange. I would suggest trying to get a more orange warm glow than red. Decrease the size and intensity of your lights by a lot. Apart from some AO there are no shadows in your scene either. Again this would be solved by having a better light setup. Try to make sure you have visible shadows being cast by the tables and chairs. Getting some nice shadows will help break up you floor texture.

2. The shelf is too long. If you check the concept the shelf is much less elongated.

3. The bottles need specular (and reflection). Glass like metal is all about the spec and reflection. You want a strong sharp spec.

4. All metal objects. Again its all in the spec and the ref. Take out that redish orange colour. its making them look like clay.

5. Your wood texture looks nice on the floor but the panelling on the walls looks to flat. Try getting some height variation

6. Your textures having varying detail. It almost looks like you have gone fro two art styles. The first a very minimalist. Demonstrated by the walls and other parts of the counter. But you also have some very detailed wood texture in the far right corner and again on the floor. Consider trying to get a uniform style across all your textures

7. The floor texture needs a little more depth. At the moment it looks like lino. Push out the tiles a bit more and paint in some fake AO.

8. Good luck with the next challenge Hope this all helps.
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    You guys did an amazing job! I love them! Its really really cool to see how you guys tackled my concept and transformed it into a scene.
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks AzzaMat. I have those notes jotted down. I will go back and adjust it and get this fixed up.
  • cmtanko
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    I know , I know.. This challenge is already over, most probably the tread is almost dead as well...But I had free time so, wanted to complete the scene.
    Finally exported everything to UDK and did the lighting.. Few props still remaining to be placed in the wall..
    Restro_01.jpg
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
  • cmtanko
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling it final. Here it goes
    Restro_02.jpg
  • lamar McHaney
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    Late as hell , but you always finish what you start.

MoneyShot.jpg
  • cmtanko
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamar McHaney: Looks great and detailed.. Umm, but on the 1st sight, I felt sooo many detail thrown at my eye... Not that I'm texture/lighting export in anyways, but I feel its too detailed everywhere, making it abit noisy(?).
    Also those small blue/white dots , are they light dust particle ? On the rare window looks good, while in the front window , it looks stone or something...
    Anyways, I think its better to finish late than never finish..
    But,Loved those wood and concrete textures (Y)
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    well it took me 2 months but I think I am ready to call it done. I may mess with a few small details, but other then that its time to move on I think. I had a lot of fun with this one, and the concept was great.

Final_01.jpg

Final_02.jpg

Final_03.jpg