Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    00Zero wrote: »
    well, back on subject, if thats the players view (height), then you definitely would see it, if you look another direction.

i would also definitely try to up the resolution on the grass texture. and if its that low because youre not going to get that close to it, then why are the tanks textures much higher resolution that hold up when you get (sorta) close?

hopefully i can learn how to alpha texutre some grass. tank texture is actually 256x256. But those tanks are very low poly, and only there for cosmetic looks.
    They are less that 100 poly
    meanwhile the player tanks will be around 800 poly.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Guys you are creating dump conversation in the 500 poly thread.
    Check out last techmologies like Messenger or Skype for that >_<

samavan_pc_Type_DA_A001.jpg
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Sama, your low poly stuff is truly inspiring. Just wondering, why is her eyes and mouth and nose on a seperate piece of texture? I'm only guessing that it is so it can be easily exchanged for other facial expressions?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Smirnoffka - I think I know that one. It allows you to lower the UV space on the face, while allowing the eyes/mouth to get a larger texture space. Facial features on low poly models read better when sharper, so its worth the extra few faces to get a nice, high res face. It will also allow you to animate the facial expressions as well, swapping out a single small texture at will.

Sama.van - I would so gladly pay for a DS RPG game designed by you. The artwork is really, really impressive with such small specs and I bet if you crafted some scenes to go with them it would be sex. Make it so and you have a sale from me :p
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Sama: just checked out your quest3d portfolio, so much win! Especially like the Golem with the sky inside him, and the one winged tie die girl. :)

Also, thanks for the mini tutorial. Would be great if you'd record a vid while painting sometime too
  • notebookguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture modeling etc.. great only on renders place shadows or place a shadow in Photoshop for renders.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathelmz wrote: »
    hopefully i can learn how to alpha texutre some grass. tank texture is actually 256x256. But those tanks are very low poly, and only there for cosmetic looks.
    They are less that 100 poly
    meanwhile the player tanks will be around 800 poly.

Im going to attempt the impossible and give you some advice. Whether you take it is up to you.

Here goes...

Start your own thread. Post your images. Listen to people and learn.
    If you are having a problem with a specific technique, program, or texturing/modelling theory we will help you if you listen. Theres a lot of inconsitencies with your images and things which need attention but the waywo thread isn't the place to clog up with long winded explanations so i will wait to see your thread pop up in the wip section.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sama,

Excellent work and a great insight into your workflow.
  • Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, since you all like chit chatting with me this morning, perhaps you can talk about the recent Add-on in the map. Which I figured out how to Alpha texture last night, and was very eager to see Grass in the level. Now to model them pine trees-

graass.jpg
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    everything has a different texture scale.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Deathelmz. You should consider that sometimes, people are wrong. Can be you, can be the others, sometimes it's even both.

Your hanger scene shows commitment and dedication, but by acting like a dickhead you don't make people feel like giving you constructive criticism. And no, this scene is not bad because you used wings to do it. It has mistakes that are independent on the program you created it in.

I would say, post that little bunker building again (and don't pollute a quality, inspiring head with bad model jokes like the cigarette). If you listen carefully to what people have to say, post your reference, and learn from that, you will be happy. If you don't, you might be stuck at being an angry little poster...

good luck
  • Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frubes wrote: »
    everything has a different texture scale.

Hey, A critique that is actually valid. I will do that sir. Thanks:thumbup: Just need to scale the model down
  • vladimus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never posted before, but I wanted to get in on this action. 3D modeling and pixel art are two loves of mine, and there's some really awesome and inspirational stuff here.

So with that inspiration, here's something I came up with:
    Spockgif2.gif458 Tris
    spockUV5.gifImage21.png128x128x16
    Comments much appreciated!
  • Squiggly_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squiggly_P polycounter lvl 11
    Deathelmz, start your own thread for your game level and allow people to give you advice in there. This is a stickied thread for more or less finished <500 tri models. This is not a thread where we should be debating the pros and cons of applications. The thread has been tied up for three pages doing this back and forth WIP crap one one guy's project.

No offense, but this is my favorite thread and it's getting dumped on makes me sad.

Edit: crap, I just woke up and it looked like this was still ongoing when I posted, but now I realize that the guy hasn't posted since yesterday. Now I'm just adding to the poopy smell. I will model something to put here instead now.

Edit 2:
    NewspaperMachine.gif
    there.
    104 tris + 64² texture
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Let's get this back on track:

3380194535_882f1b13a9_o.jpg

It's a box, it's 12 tris and a 16x16 color map.

Now get back to working on awesome stuff guys!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Hey tumerboy, I know this is PROBABLY not the place to ask, but where did you get that awesome navigation widget on the bottom left of that screenshot?

Also, here is a generic little well I made...
    496 tris,
    with a 512 texture
    doug.jpg
  • Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This apple is for Beatkitano :) Enjoy it..

apple.jpg
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low Poly Eurofighter

176 tris

nocarc.jpg
  • Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka wrote: »
    Low Poly Eurofighter

176 tris

That looks alot like wings? make sure to check off the "Draw Anti-Aliased edges. found in preference
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, 3DS Max 2009.

And I don't use anti-aliasing because my computer is pretty rubbish and struggles with models of higher polycounts.
  • Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka wrote: »
    Nope, 3DS Max 2009.

And I don't use anti-aliasing because my computer is pretty rubbish and struggles with models of higher polycounts.

ahh okay hehe. I couldnt tell the difference becuase I am so use to seeing the pixels of edges.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    Hey tumerboy, I know this is PROBABLY not the place to ask, but where did you get that awesome navigation widget on the bottom left of that screenshot?

HA HA! That's built into Max 2009. (maybe 2k8 too?)
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    sama.van wrote: »
    Guys you are creating dump conversation in the 500 poly thread.
    Check out last techmologies like Messenger or Skype for that >_<

Maybe my too bad english.... no body will understand :D ... Anyway/...

- Smirnoffka : yes, Facial animation. This will come later... I actually work all the chracter's body ^_^.

- odium : This is not for a DS game but thank you! Hope you'll come play when the game will be released in few monthes... I hope!

- PolyHertz : Hmm sorry, creating a movies will give to me some stress :(... Nothing really difficult in my brush technique... Tutorial I already did is the way I used for creating this character. Arround 1h by diferent texture. (color variation is arround 5 min XD)

- frubes : Thanks! yes with workflow it's so easy!! the most difficult is to find diffirent ideas of clth for each version >_<

- All Other : Please learn to don't answer to stupid guys. It will help to keep a cool 500 poly thread. (actually 3 last page turn arround a discussion of shit !!! Seriously guys!!! Are you Polycounter???? Piorinet ... no... T_T....)
    Or if you have shit to say arround, please add a low poly mesh with ^_^.. isn't it?? :D

samavan_pc_Type_DA_B001.jpg
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    Let's get this back on track:

3380194535_882f1b13a9_o.jpg

It's a box, it's 12 tris and a 16x16 color map.

Now get back to working on awesome stuff guys!

please make this your new icon from now on, best crate EVER!
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »

Thats the new nav tools in max 2009 onwards. Think its called the viewcube and Steering wheel. To be honest, i find them more of a hinderance than a help.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    sama.van is my hero ._.
  • Mauricio Cunha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mauricio Cunha polycounter lvl 13
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mauricio, if you can afford a few extra tris, you could make that texture much more efficient.

Make a short segment that has the top, bottom, and 1 tile's worth in the middle.
  • raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    propstemplofaixa.jpg

Are you using 3 polys on the front and 3 polys on the back if so why not just make them two sided planes instead i know you can do that in blender but it would be good to find out how in your program it'll save on polys
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    raiskul wrote: »
    Are you using 3 polys on the front and 3 polys on the back if so why not just make them two sided planes instead i know you can do that in blender but it would be good to find out how in your program it'll save on polys
    Backspace culling will take care of the back ones, and he won't have to switch render states just to draw that one model. Switching the cull mode state on the card takes 1000x times longer than just drawing the thing like that.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    here is a low poly version of a character I made a while back...
    I mainly focused on good animations and good textures
    Elite Soldier
    presentedcopy.jpg

I want as much C&C as I can get!
  • Mauricio Cunha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How I use wings, in the editor the back faces are counting too, but in true the material of back faces is HOLE, so the model have tree faces polys.
  • traden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, it's my first post :) I passed the 500 limit by 10, but I figured I'd post this anyways.picture6h.png
  • raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duly noted ^_^
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey look! All the nonsense (literally two pages of it) has magically disappeared!
    Any more of that stuff and I will be handing out temporary bans, regardless of who does what or who started it.
    It doesn't take much intelligence to simply refrain from replying to inflammatory posts, I would hope everyone here can manage that.

This thread is for posting lowpoly work and simple feedback/critique. Any name-calling or off-topic arguing will be deleted. If you want to discuss the merits of any particular application or workflow, make a new thread in General Discussion or Technical Talk.
  • ploon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'Bout time I contributed instead of drooling all the time :)
    Heres a low poly bash at a FF DS spec character.

My UV's sucketh i think...learn from your mistakes!:poly124:

wipab.jpg
  • Mauricio Cunha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ploon, nice job man !
  • Aranoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like the real one ! Amazing !
  • vladimus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yah, I didn't realize I'd posted my model right in the middle of a flamewar. So look over the crater (should be in the previous page), there's a model that wasn't there before.

EDIT: Now, with mesh!
    SpockWire.png
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    ploon, that's sexy!
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    model remake of Dox's qwtf rocket launcher, this is the world view model where as his was only 1st person:

rock3.png
    rock4.png

This will be used for the Quake 1 Coop TF mod, quite fun and addicting
  • Indy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all, it's my first post here, i'm amazed by the works everyone's been posting so far and decided to post my owns. Hope you like it.
    Here's an F14 done with mobile consoles in mind (not for a commercial project thought).
    Triangle count is 156
    Texture is 1x256*256 + 1x128*32

f14.jpg
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Spock wears high heels?
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    steady wrote: »
    model remake of Dox's qwtf rocket launcher, this is the world view model where as his was only 1st person:

rock3.png
    rock4.png

This will be used for the Quake 1 Coop TF mod, quite fun and addicting

Awesome =)

The texture lacks some contrast though, you could accentuate the models shape by painting some subtle highlights on the edges.
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 15
    Finished volcano :) Three other islands to go..

game15.jpg
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    sama.van, vladino: superb work you two :)
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 15
    Rapante wrote: »
    sama.van, vladino: superb work you two :)

Thanks ;) Will chuck it into my game environment thread once finished..
  • vladimus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark wrote: »
    Spock wears high heels?

Don't know if they will in the new movie, but they did then. Those outfits were pretty tight too.
  • portergraphic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    portergraphic polycounter lvl 17
    Quick one I did today.

render_a.jpg
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    a little car I've made tonight 16 colours 128x128px, 146 tris :)

lowpolycar.png