Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WARCRAFT IV - 3D FANART

Replies

• urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    This is looking sweet as hell, subscribed.
  • JVoye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Outstanding stuff, love the concepts.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    loving it so far. Keep it up.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    no orcs! instant unsubscribe!
    just kidding keep living the dream and make warcraft IV guys!
  • Nakedwooki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakedwooki polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good man, looking forward to seeing what you do with the orcs.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Some gorgeous stuff in here, keep at it! :)
  • mau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mau
    thanks everyone !

we've been really busy with work over the last weeks but there's a little wip.
    I've got lot of retakes to do !
    the garden is not finish yet and I will make ropes, roof and walls with tileable textures later.
    farm_zbrush_01.jpg
  • Smooth_Criminal
    That's pretty cool!! :)
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone !

We decided to participate in the Hearthstone Deviant Art challenge for the next days, sorry to delay this Diorama a bit, we will come back on it as soon as possible :)
  • Ulrick
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Everyone !

Happy New Year :)

I've just finished the footman concept !
    Based on Heroes of the Storm and Warcraft 2 / 3

warcraft4_fanart_ulrick_maurin_wip_11.jpgwarcraft4_fanart_ulrick_maurin_wip_11.jpg

The Human Farm is going well too ;) Sculpting / Retopo / Baking are done, starting its texturing, WIP soon !
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    I feel like the Footman doesn't fit with the typical Alliance soldier, as seen in WC2/3 & WoW.

Heroes doesn't really settle itself in the WarCraft Universe, but inside a Nexus of worlds, so it makes sense to have weirder looking armor there. But not for WarCraft itself.

Footmen have kept a very, very distinct look since the early days of the RTS, in WoW they mostly look like this: http://wowroleplaygear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/stormwind-guard-in-game1.jpg
  • TaylorMouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TaylorMouse polycounter lvl 10
    Ulrick wrote: »
    Hi Everyone !

Happy New Year :)

I've just finished the footman concept !
    Based on Heroes of the Storm and Warcraft 2 / 3

warcraft4_fanart_ulrick_maurin_wip_11.jpg

The Human Farm is going well too ;) Sculpting / Retopo / Baking are done, starting its texturing, WIP soon !

Loving this really really much, I love the stuff they did for Heroes of the Storm, you can even get the wizard from heroes, it looks like the conjurer in warcraft 1

T.
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth wrote: »
    I feel like the Footman doesn't fit with the typical Alliance soldier, as seen in WC2/3 & WoW.

Heroes doesn't really settle itself in the WarCraft Universe, but inside a Nexus of worlds, so it makes sense to have weirder looking armor there. But not for WarCraft itself.

Footmen have kept a very, very distinct look since the early days of the RTS, in WoW they mostly look like this: http://wowroleplaygear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/stormwind-guard-in-game1.jpg

I don't totally agree with you on that.

I know this Nexus it's a particular universe, but each character or building in it is quite specific, and if you take the "alliance" buildings, for example, they could totally fit in a Wacraft IV game / art direction.

crop-original_ff9c1a996f0be81c68d897911824653a.jpg

crop-original_899cfa0f402e0e5d36dc99eaf8eb4e6c.jpg

You're right with your footman example, but W3 and WoW were released 13 and 11 years ago. This IP evolved to something more and more "cartoony and bulky" in shapes, and i'm pretty sure they could totally make a new Wacraft game with these kind of visuals.

Well it's my opinion of course :) But I would be very happy, if that game was ever created, that they use these kind of non-sense things and shapes.
  • TaylorMouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TaylorMouse polycounter lvl 10
    Agree, there, was trying to do a remake on Warcraft 1 with these characters from Heroes in the Starcraft 2 editor!

Anyways, keep em coming :)

T.
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    Ulrick wrote: »
    You're right with your footman example, but W3 and WoW were released 13 and 11 years ago. This IP evolved to something more and more "cartoony and bulky" in shapes, and i'm pretty sure they could totally make a new Wacraft game with these kind of visuals.

Well it's my opinion of course :) But I would be very happy, if that game was ever created, that they use these kind of non-sense things and shapes.

Honestly, even if the games are a bit older, even current Alliance forces in Draenor look very familiar in their style and armor. There is certainly the ol' shoulderpad syndrome going on for players, since they make out a lot of the silouhette, but they are still very consistent with the fantasy of WarCraft (for the most part - there's the odd armor set and weapon once in a while).

They even recently added a higher quality Footman/Grunt Transmog.

Not to mention they have time and time hammered it into our skulls that the Nexus is not supposed to be taken as a place close to any of the three universes, but instead is a bit of a 'free space' where they can play with 'What if?' scenarios.

I think a lot of the Nexus design also comes from the oldest version of Heroes, when it was still a SC2 Blizz DotA map and a lot of the battlefield they had was 'Machine-Chess' themed.

I agree that the hand-painted style is very typical warcrafty and would probably serve as a good base to start from for a WC4, but the design of buildings and units in the Nexus doesn't fit it.

But yeah, thus far the Footman is the only thing that really looks off to me in what you've made thus far. It just doesn't at all say 'Alliance Soldier' to me. Not how they have been shown and depicted for 10 years in WoW and before that even as far back as WC1. I doubt they'd suddenly sprout turret-shaped helmets and shoulderpads. If anything they'd have the typical Alliance Lion hammered on it (Though it's a bit expensive for your average frontline soldier who gets the same gear as a thousand other people). Or some kind of 'Lordaeron Reclaimer Army' working with the Argent Crusade to drive off the Forsaken. Ya know, something that makes sense with the massive universe and lore, basically.

Edit: Man, I need more sleep. So many typos.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    this is looking fantastic! excited to see more!
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie"

Sorry for these months of absence, we had lots of work, personnal projects ongoing, personnal events too, etc. etc. :)

Basically, we decided Mau and I to follow two different path for this project, just to test techniques and art style. I wanted something really hand-painted while he wanted to test new rendering techniques (PBR, etc.) in that style. It's a portfolio, and it's for fun so, let's test both ! :)

So I decided to start a first set of fully hand-painted textures in that style (color correction will come further, with the work on the diorama)

ulrick-wery-tileableset2-rooftiles.jpg?1441028620

ulrick-wery-tileableset2-groundslab.jpg?1441028618

ulrick-wery-tileableset2-wall.jpg?1441028617

ulrick-wery-tileableset2-wood.jpg?1441028620

ulrick-wery-tileableset2-soil.jpg?1441028621

ulrick-wery-tileableset2-soil2.jpg?1441028623

ulrick-wery-tileableset2-grass.jpg?1441028617

ulrick-wery-tileableset2-water.jpg?1441028618

The set on Artstation:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/hand-painted-textures-60071450-7b25-418f-9d95-46dec3351949

• jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    Those textures are beautifully painted
  • MadGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MadGunslinger polycounter lvl 3
    Woaw, this is great! Looking forward to see what the completed scene will look like. Keep it up!
  • Faf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faf interpolator
    Beautiful textures :D
    Some critics that I have though :3

321059Untitled1.jpg
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback Faf, veeery appreciated ! :)
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Eager to see what's the stylized PBR will look like. That's something we don't see often, but the rare good examples we've seen were promising. I love the handpainted diffuse only style but maybe it's time to go deeper ^^.
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion wrote: »
    maybe it's time to go deeper ^^.

Ahah that's exactly the discussion I often have, and I don't agree, well, not entirely :\

I think both are totally different now, we're not in Quake III anymore, and now realistic, next gen cartoon, old school hand painted, pixel art, etc. are really different things.
    And imo, a cartoon-next-gen-PBR style is not "going deeper into hand painted style", it's just something different ^^

I really hope we will still have video games like that, even if it's more and more rare :((especially because new technology gives us access to that type of artistic render, but with heavy textures, large amoubt of triangles, etc.)