Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #14 - April

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
Welcome to our Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #14

This is a single item competition and for the month of April and the theme this month is:
Fishmen
(aquatic heroes)

Heroes list:

Morphling

Naga Siren

Slardar

Slark

Tide Hunter

The competition

the idea of the competition is to create items in a friendly environment and with the feedback of the other participants to get the best result possible.

The single item style is good for the guys that are not used to make items, sometimes they just need a little pull with references and deadlines to get an item done

its mandatory to post the work in progress, or else the submition will not be accepted!

Prizes

We will announce the 5 best items in the end of the month based on public voting and/or by judges. The first place will also be winning a mini Greentooth trophy!
pc_gttroph.jpg

Getting your item displayed on the first post

*Items with images bigger then 200 px and/or missing the name of the contributor will not be accepted till fixed

SET NAME by USERNAME

THUMBNAIL_IMG
[php]SET NAME by USERNAME

THUMBNAIL_IMG[/php]or this one for 2 creators

[php]SET NAME by USERNAME and USERNAME_2

THUMBNAIL_IMG [/php]
[SIZE=4]SET NAME[/SIZE] by [URL="http://WORKSHOP_USER_LINK"]USERNAME[/URL]

[URL="http://ITEM_LINK"][IMG]THUMBNAIL_IMG[/IMG][/URL]
set_name - name of your set, use equal as on the workshop
workshop_user_link - your workshop page, so people can browse your other items easily
Username - the name you think its easier to people find you, can be the one from polycount or the steam
item_link - the workshop page of your item
thumbnail_img - the image link of the thumbnail that is INSIDE your item page on the workshop (the thumbnail is the one with 200 pixels wide, you can get from your items page or add Code:
/200x200.resizedimage
to the end of the link)

**itens with larger thumbnails will not be accepted!**

Rules
  • open for teams of any size
  • its allowed one item per hero per team/person ( two or more items for the same hero made by the same team/person will not be accepted)
  • everyone should keep posting feedback on other works, the feedback should be constructive
  • the final submition need to be a single item that doesnt break the rules
  • it must be submitted to the workshop before the deadline but not before the start of the competition
  • The item should be made on the month of the competition, its ok to continue one started earlier, but you should work most of it during the month
  • the deadline is the last day of the month at 23:59 (since we live in different timezones, some submitions may be accepted couple hours after the deadline)
  • From this month and the next ones, its mandatory to post the work in progress, or else the submition will not be accepted!

Tutorials/working in progress videos

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123800

Inspiring quotes

"It is absolutely insane the amount of top quality content that is being produced every single time here on Polycount. It's great to see so many cosmetics deliver not just on the technical end but also make for such great fittings in every other branch. You guys are doing an exceptional job and contests like this are only helping boost that exponentially. Brilliant stuff."

Wykrhm Reddy

"It was bloody hard picking from this list, I honestly enjoyed all of the entries. Keep up the good work guys!"

Cyborgmatt

Wow, that's really awesome. Please keep us at Valve informed so we can help draw attention to the winners, progress threads, etc.
Some advice:
Try to give some attention to heroes that are under-served so far (in terms of amount of content).
The success of sets tracks well with the popularity of the hero. (Although popularity can vary between updates and as Icefrog changes balance.)
Look for heroes that the community seems to have trouble creating content for. Good work can really open up the design landscape and help people think about the dynamic range of potential designs.
Don't forget about single items (instead of full sets). Many of the most popular items in the game are single items. Mounts and weapons make good candidates for this, but it varies by hero.
Mix up these approaches. So maybe one month you do a popular hero and another month you do a hero that has few items.

-Brandon Reinhart (Valve)

I love you guys for doing this! Dota2 is my favorite game at the moment and Polycount is my favorite community! I'm very proud to be apart of such dedicated artists and I smile every time I see some Polycount work in game

-coots7

Presentation

the presentation is a really important part on the workshop, save some time before the deadline for that. the first impression means a lot on the workshop.

If you want to fancy your presentation here is a the polycount logo over the aegis, there is no need of it to be used

http://puu.sh/1QtZy

Previous Months

MARCH
FEBRUARY
DECEMBER
NOVEMBER
OCTOBER
SEPTEMBER
AUGUST
JULY
JUNE
MAY
APRIL
MARCH
FEBRUARY

Replies

• Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished Entries

Hardened Helm of the Guardian by cowmaster_cowmaster

Image004.jpg

Whaley, the evil conscience by TVidotto

200x200.resizedimage

Abyssal Bludgeon by Zipfinator and Pipotchi

200x200.resizedimage

The Salty Slicer by Skeleton Jelly (Yatra)

200x200.resizedimage

Conch Crown of Crey by Baddcog aka Voodoo

Baddcog_Conch_polycount_icon.jpg

Dark Rupture by Andyk125

4dU1kOt.jpg

NAGANATA by confracto

ylaWgY6.jpg

Vanguard of Cthulhu legion by Ewok

2c5f06f0d775.jpg

• Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entries not competing for the trophy

Dark Reef Detritus- Ward by Chenito

200x200.resizedimage

L'viaethaun, the Tide God by Primrose!~
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    fuck , concepting stuff for fish dudes is hard
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah. It should be something organic, and organic is hard for concepting
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guys, i received a question about naga being part of the fish group, do you guys think that she should stay or be removed?
  • Artypi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    guys, i received a question about naga being part of the fish group, do you guys think that she should stay or be removed?

She's half fish and lives in the ocean in the same society as slark and slardar, i don't see the sense in removing her
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I'd remove Morphling if any of them. He's just made of water and originates from space. He doesn't have anything to do with living under the sea or being a fishman/slithreen. That's why I didn't list him in my posts in the previous thread. I don't think he belongs in the theme.

However, it's just for fun so who cares. :p
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    I'd remove Morphling if any of them. He's just made of water and originates from space. He doesn't have anything to do with living under the sea or being a fishman/slithreen. That's why I didn't list him in my posts in the previous thread. I don't think he belongs in the theme.

Good point Frump. Anyone else agrees with that?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Frump wrote: »

Pretty much this. No reason to take stuff so seriously, since it's all in good fun. I personally think that the theme is awesome and that all heroes fit.
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    I think Medusa the spawn of a sea goddess too. I am not sure if that counts...

But it doesn't really matter.

I also think we should leave Naga in more than morphing at least because...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZLhUik0tSU"]Flight Of The Conchords - Mermaids - YouTube[/ame]
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    in dota1 medusa was a naga as well :)
  • Darkinub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Considering . . . Naga actually has lines to these heroes and is a slithereen I think she should stay.

On the note of naga, can someone please make a beautiful organic naga set? or beautfiul organic naga hair? Its a shame to see that pretty face go to waste
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I've been working on a slardar mace the last few days. Here's some WIP shots I took while working. Got it baked and pipotchi is going to try out texturing it now.

maelrawn_mace_wip_01.jpg

maelrawn_mace_wip_03.jpg

maelrawn_mace_wip_04.jpg

maelrawn_mace_wip_05.jpg

maelrawn_mace_wip_06.jpg
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    hey zip, i rly dig that mace!
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    tidehunter_monthly_1.jpg

some tidehunter concepts, up for collab, dont have time to model atm
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Darkinub wrote: »
    Considering . . . Naga actually has lines to these heroes and is a slithereen I think she should stay.

On the note of naga, can someone please make a beautiful organic naga set? or beautfiul organic naga hair? Its a shame to see that pretty face go to waste

I did one before. Very sad they never used it. I could improve some parts though.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=132127237
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
    @Zipfinator - I can already tell I am going to like that weapon

I've been hanging around enough I guess it's time to make something. Here is my concept

Image001.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I've been working on a slardar mace the last few days. Here's some WIP shots I took while working. Got it baked and pipotchi is going to try out texturing it now.

maelrawn_mace_wip_06.jpg

when i saw the first images i doubted about the bake

man, gotta say, great work with them!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guys, i added the final submitions to the thread of the last month

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131971

could you please check if im not missing anyone? there still 2 that i message the creators to update the information are not added yet

going to correct the image size in the end, on this month, please use the 200pixel image size =]

thanks!
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Tvidotto, you can remove the first version of the Fallen wings, the pink version.
    The other two you posted are the final submissions.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Zipfinator: I agreed with Thiago on when I saw the bake I was like... WTF is going on, there is no directional top down lighting, I was getting a bit of a headache trying to work out what was going in or out. In game its not so bad, btu a clear texture should make it better to differentiate :)
    Nice work!

Sweet I can enter this! I'm doing a naga set for Arteezy this month. Gonna post some of my concepts here:

http://puu.sh/7Y31t.jpg
    http://puu.sh/7Y32Y.jpg
    http://h.dropcanvas.com/f5pdu/20140409_112928.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator: I agreed with Thiago on when I saw the bake I was like... WTF is going on, there is no directional top down lighting, I was getting a bit of a headache trying to work out what was going in or out. In game its not so bad, btu a clear texture should make it better to differentiate :)
    Nice work!

Sweet I can enter this! I'm doing a naga set for Arteezy this month. Gonna post some of my concepts here:

Yay! Anuxi again! the last time you participated was when you joined with the mirana set?

Btw, is that a radiance on the one concepted in paper?

@Andy, going to check that, thanks
  • Darkinub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work!

Im really liking the first concept! it looks like it has potential to be sometihng very different and stylistic for Naga.
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed. The first one was superb, something real creative for Naga's head!
  • Gh33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the Naga headdress, quite enjoying this weeks challenge, decided to try and make a staff for Slardar. Out of a shell some coral and a glowing orb similar to the one sticking out his head. The basic shape comes from a fish knife which i thought would be enjoyable as a sort of 'fuck you' to all the other fish characters. :D

This is going to be my first try at sculpting in Blender, the results should be interesting if nothing else lol.

concept_zps04fc159f.png
  • Gh33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps unsurprisingly having some issues getting the poly count low again after beefing it up to sculpt. Does anyone have experience sculpting with blender? I think I need a few pointers for best practices.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gh33 wrote: »
    Perhaps unsurprisingly having some issues getting the poly count low again after beefing it up to sculpt. Does anyone have experience sculpting with blender? I think I need a few pointers for best practices.

sorry, never used blender
    But im sure you can find some good information on the forum about it
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9

Unfortunately, Blender is quite resource intensive than the other packages.

You'd be better off with something like Sculptris or ZBrush.
  • go899th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Although I prefer sculpting in Zbrush, I do have experience with blenders sculpting tool. I normally get a rough geometric shape in the edit tool, then I use the multires modifier , not the subdivide, because it is better too use when sculpting. Once I'm finished with my High-Poly, I save that as a separate .blend file. Too lower the Poly count use the Decimate modifier, this will get rid of faces while retaining a similar shape. I hope this helped you.
  • Gh33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'll have a bash at Sculptris. :)
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    confracto polycounter lvl 11
    Ok, so it's been a while since I've done much here other than lurk, but I'm getting into this competition. I've never made anything in dota2 before, and I'm out of practice with modeling in general (been over 2 years), so bear with me.

I started with an idea for the tidehunter, but the more I looked up about what it might entail to do cloth sim, and some other stuff, I probably won't be able to handle this on my own with the time left. I'm also not sure if I can pull of making the net sections look real, and be totally opaque.
    YlSp9zA.jpg

I then got onto the idea of doing a Naginata for the Siren, a 'NAGA-nata'. heh.
    I blocked one out quickly and managed to get it into the workshop to test size and how it works with the animation so far.
    jegJ79p.jpg
  • Gh33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    go899th wrote: »
    Although I prefer sculpting in Zbrush, I do have experience with blenders sculpting tool. I normally get a rough geometric shape in the edit tool, then I use the multires modifier , not the subdivide, because it is better too use when sculpting. Once I'm finished with my High-Poly, I save that as a separate .blend file. Too lower the Poly count use the Decimate modifier, this will get rid of faces while retaining a similar shape. I hope this helped you.

When I tried to use the Multires modifer, i have to use the simple subdivide because using the Catmull-Clark option changes the shape of my geometry!

Anyway, having a blast with Sculptris. It loves to crash but it's a loveable rogue. Thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully I'll have something up by the weeks end.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Not really a lot of work this Month, where are all the ppl that liked this idea?

None the less il give it a try this Month, maybe it will be easier to win this time :p
    I'm making another slark weapon, this is the block out so far:

X22wtqt.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Not really a lot of work this Month, where are all the ppl that liked this idea?

None the less il give it a try this Month, maybe it will be easier to win this time :p
    I'm making another slark weapon, this is the block out so far:

X22wtqt.jpg

yep, strangelly we dont have much entries this month, well, more chances to win the trophy =]

i have an idea for tide and going to work as soon as possible

nice shapes on that blade, i really like the handaxe style
  • hmshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, im new to making items in dota 2 :D if you have any advice, go ahead and tell me!
    Im looking forward to improve. here is a helm I made in 1 hour : lYtI8qg.png
    mgU8VaP.png
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    well I'll try and make it all the way through this comp starting with a rough concept:

conch_concept.jpg

Pretty hard to draw this thing from all sides. So working out more in 3d:

conch_model.jpg

What I couldn't get in the concept was that the spines will be hanging back and down more. And some small spikes around the center swirl will stick up a bit. I think it'll read better from the top view than if the spines went straight up.
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    confracto polycounter lvl 11
    so I finished a highpoly model and quickly baked details to a low to see in the editor.
    I'm still learning what reads in the game and what's too small.
    I'm not sure how much I'm going to change the colours towards the already existing colour scheme, or to try and build something new with what else I have planned for later.
    wjInAVH.jpg

Baddcog, the conch helmet's a neat idea, gl :D
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmshark wrote: »
    Hello, im new to making items in dota 2 :D if you have any advice, go ahead and tell me!
    Im looking forward to improve. here is a helm I made in 1 hour : lYtI8qg.png
    mgU8VaP.png

i have some advices

1- dont tell other artists that you made that in one hour, it may look that you said that was just an sketch and you dont want feedback in it.

2- try to work more with the sillhouette in low subdivision levels before going to details

3- if you use a shader that is not pure black on the shadows will be better to show your model

Cheer!
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got in a little sculpting this morning....A guy could get used to these days off :)

Image001.png
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • mattface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

Thought I would join the fun,

here is my rough concept I have just sketched up, hoping to get plenty of 3D stuff done today

0gvqKZ5.jpg
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    two_larsens polycounter lvl 6
    Interesting stuff on here, but surprisingly little. I like the anchor knife a lot, and actually had a very, very similar idea for that, and for Slark, but yours is better, I'd say. I'll be curious to see how you will manage to squeeze it below the tri-count requirement with the chain links :)
    Other than that, I would really like to give this friendly competition a go, and have been tossing a few ideas around, but it is a bit odd with the 'seemingly' lack of interest this go-around.

I was going to second what Tvidotto was saying in the above post, and add that it is rather important to put in a healthy amount of thought and effort into a piece, as it will show. As it is right now, then it is more a rough concept, and there's nothing wrong with that, but there is quite a bit more to it.

Also, I like the Naga squid so far. Good job.

Anyway, good luck, all.
  • hmshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tvidotto and two_larsens Ty for the advice. I found that my item has some mistakes so I did the item again yesterday :) although I learned a lot ! it was a really fun experience. Ty to Shock for helping me and giving me some advice :D
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Thing with naga is you need to be careful with making her head feel too heavy. Make sure you balance out the lines and create softer forms to accentuate her femininity.

Try to keep that in mind when designing things for her. :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mattface, I like the idea, but I think it needs more definition to read in game.
    A chunk of coral might be a bit hard to recognize. Maybe stick a big fat sea anemone or urchin on top.

@ stuburrito,
    It's pretty cool but does look a bit heavy. Maybe thinning down the tentacles would help. Maybe a little more lift? It seems to be drooping a lot which makes it more heavy imo.

@hmshark,
    I think the basic shape/style is cool but as those guys said more work needed. Look at a lot of the armors, Nyx would be good to emulate. The swirls and trim on his armor are thick and hard edged. It you want it more metal like than modelling would do most of it.
    It could be carved lava rock too. But get the large bold shapes in modelling and use sculpting for a lava texture.
    Other than that, I would really like to give this friendly competition a go, and have been tossing a few ideas around, but it is a bit odd with the 'seemingly' lack of interest this go-around.

Anyway, good luck, all.

Get your ideas up!
    Some progress on the conch. Hopefully it doesn't look too heavy. I could squeeze the middle a bit if needed.
    conch_subp.jpg

Her standard hair (whatever it actually is, cartilage?) is so big and takes up so much space, trying to keep that same proportion.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a little sculpting, wondering which side would look best for portrait.
    conch_portrait.jpg
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    two_larsens polycounter lvl 6
    Looks good. I would say as you have it, as the camera is from that angle.
  • Actual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone
    I'll try to get something done for this competition. A sassy figurehead off-hand for Tidehunter, with some kelp hair dragging behind.
    Tidehunteroffhand.jpg
  • Skydoll28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

Not sure if I should be posting here. My apologies for posting a Crystal Maiden item. Blocked out in Maya and then Zbrushed. The Lod0 for the staff weapon in Dota 2 is 1100 triangles and Lod1 is 600 triangles. My Lod0 mesh is 1200 triangles... I know... too much.

And now my question:

Do I have to create two completely different lowpoly meshes (Lod0 and Lod1) from the ground up, create separate uvs and bake all my normals and light maps again?

I know that cannot be right because the dota 2 import told me only one set of maps can be used for two meshes only...I'm confused.

Icewreck_staff2_zpsa93cf0ba.jpg

Icewreck_staff_zps7605648d.jpg

Icewreck_staff3_zps36ab53f7.jpg
  • go899th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After lurking here for a few weeks I have decided to give it a shot. I finished the geometry of my Slark dagger and have imported it into Zbrush. This is what it looks like as of now, but its still a WIP. Any comments or criticism are very appreciated. YAf13LwYAf13Lwhttp://imgur.com/YAf13Lw (Sorry about making it an image link)