Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    looks like you are acusing people of not sharing the knowlege =]

i have a suggestion, open one particle, edit and save. That is probably what 90% of the guys are doing

Not trying to accuse anyone.. Just saying that such knowledge is known to some but hasn't been shared yet, as if it's currently too sacred for the workshop masses :P it's also possible that those who know just don't make tutorials. I just find it weird that there have been many workshop items with custom particles made and added over the last year yet there is literally no common knowledge anywhere about how to do such a thing. I admire those who have the know how to get particles in-game

As for your suggestion, not everyone has a particle effect for the item slots you want to make particles for... and implementing new particles for heroes that don't use them seems like it takes updating server-side code.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    OniLolz wrote: »
    We are making a set for Clockwerk! Still WIP
    This guy is so fun to make cosmetics.
    I ripped the model from the files. You can download it here

7Vgv8.jpg

Looks amazing, great sculpt! I only feel that the mustage makes the set feel a bit rediculous, it looks fun but I almost can't take my enemy serious when he walks up to me with that mustage :)

Started working on a weapon for Warrunner, the poly limit's are a bit rediculous, it would have been a better way to make him for Axe but he allready got to much ingame.

Let me know what u guys think!

ntm21Bf.jpg
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    That's an awesome bake Andy, it's only unfortunate he doesn't hold the grips correctly.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    MdK wrote: »
    That's an awesome bake Andy, it's only unfortunate he doesn't hold the grips correctly.

Thanks MDK. Yes I know, the problem is that with every attack and animation he holds it different so when idle he holds it almost at the bot, at his attack it's in the middle and the top one isn't correct. So I needed to make some consessions, a wrap around the base completely looked too simple.

I think I'l skin the weapon a bit lower, so the bottom hand will come out a bit better, but as u can see with the running animation it's perfect. Here's a preview of the idifferent animations:

fCz4vLZ.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    darkkyo wrote: »
    Not trying to accuse anyone.. Just saying that such knowledge is known to some but hasn't been shared yet, as if it's currently too sacred for the workshop masses :P it's also possible that those who know just don't make tutorials. I just find it weird that there have been many workshop items with custom particles made and added over the last year yet there is literally no common knowledge anywhere about how to do such a thing. I admire those who have the know how to get particles in-game

As for your suggestion, not everyone has a particle effect for the item slots you want to make particles for... and implementing new particles for heroes that don't use them seems like it takes updating server-side code.

im trying to help you get to the answer for your questions without the need of someone to create a tutorial for you

if not all the slots have a particle effect, try to find were in the files the particle effect are defined/triggered.

And a suggestion, next time try asking first instead of saying that people "aren't willing to make tutorials or even hint at how to figure it out"
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im trying to help you get to the answer for your questions without the need of someone to create a tutorial for you

if not all the slots have a particle effect, try to find were in the files the particle effect are defined/triggered.

And a suggestion, next time try asking first instead of saying that people "aren't willing to make tutorials or even hint at how to figure it out"

I did a lot of digging and modifying awhile back but nothing ever worked for me. closest I got was a ton of red X's flowing out where the particle should be.

I'm sorry... I have asked several times here in the past and nobody was willing to give any useful advice, even those who knew how to do it(so it just seemed like people were being mute about it). well thanks anyways...
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    That's kind of dickish. Instead of actually laying some groundwork, maybe telling him where to find the info you're just like: "Tsk, figure it out yourself, nobody is required to tell you this secret knowledge we hard working artist researched for so long".

Don't worry Darkkyo, once there's some free time we'll put something up on the workshophatemachine!
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry Darkkyo, once there's some free time we'll put something up on the workshophatemachine!

Awesome! Your Anti-mage particle tutorial was really great and helpful but it obviously didn't apply to what I was trying to do, so I really look forward to one about this topic.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    That's kind of dickish. Instead of actually laying some groundwork, maybe telling him where to find the info you're just like: "Tsk, figure it out yourself, nobody is required to tell you this secret knowledge we hard working artist researched for so long".

Yup, that dickish attitude is really irritating.

Anyway, if you manage to put up a simple guide or something of the sort about particles it would be really really awesome! Right now some people treat it like forbidden knowledge, as if they need to dissect the whole engine themselves to learn how to do it. The air of superiority some people exhale here is almost palpable.
  • Akaime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Akaime polycounter lvl 4
    CK set WIP
    wzIQDN0iQ44.jpg
    I liked it! and has nothing to joke about, keep doin :thumbup:
  • TommyTehZombie
    Thanks for the info, looking forward to any tutorials you may or may not post Vlad =P
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cxoboeY.png

I forgot I have this set lingering for a week, it's all about rose and macabre. I love to see Akasha closer to a monster girl theme, hence the usage of skin horns and fangs. As for now the wings and dagger aren't finished, however whoever's interested to model this let me know in the reply or contact me on steam, and I'll finish it as soon as I can (working on another hero set atm)! Would love to see this happen.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the info, looking forward to any tutorials you may or may not post Vlad =P
    I'll def dig my teeth into that as soon as possible.
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    I post this here because perhaps you guys can use it to stay motivated and continue making awesome stuff for the workshop. Don't give up!

A bit late, but I just wanted to say thanks to you and everyone here for continuing to be an inspiration for me. I've been in a rut since the CNY event and what happened with my Speed Gaming courier, but I forgot just how positive an atmosphere there is here on polycount and you all continue to make me want to achieve things that I wouldn't otherwise have tried.

Don't stop being awesome, k? :D
  • ShorkGamer
  • Rocket_Science
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket_Science polycounter lvl 8
    @Akaime thx mate, got lowpoly:

VDw_lq2u1-4.jpg
  • MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Akaime thx mate, got lowpoly:

VDw_lq2u1-4.jpg
    Nvm, I'm damn blind. :V
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    nothing
    a rushed post
    delete please :)
  • MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza wrote: »
    nothing

Like I said, BLIIIIIND.

I got distracted by Hawf's and Zaphks stuff. :(((

Edit: Edit is life, edit is love. xD
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    clock ward mabyeh!?
    z4qBNSb.jpg
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai wrote: »
    clock ward mabyeh!?
    z4qBNSb.jpg

Dewarding makes so much sense now! :O
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    bounchfx wrote: »
    do you know of a link anywhere I could learn how to do the FLEX shapes? It pretty much killed all the momentum of my void set so long ago. Haven't figured it out since :(

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130788578
    this one has maya and blender support, if you use 3ds max or modo, I don't know what you would do.
    now what I did for my Split mouth was just look at all the corresponding flexes in model viewer and try to make matching ones for them
    this same technique should work on clockwerk too, since his jaw, eyes and eyebrows move.

I'd certainly like to see more void sets without his copypasted default mouth.

also be sure to export as a DMX since those are basically just SMD's with stored flex data.
    I was hoping valve would upload the dmx's since they came with the flexes.

if you have any questions about flexes just message me on steam.

but if you're too busy and just want them done I could probably do them for you.
    I'd still recommend doing a set of flexes at least once, because then you'll know how to do them forever.
  • Artypi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    7VMzm.jpg

a TA concept to keep me on that hypothetical ball

feedback appreciated and open for collaboration, too!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Xajai wrote: »
    clock ward mabyeh!?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Absolutly brilliant!
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rh8e5th.png

some small shading errors on the inner jaw and the bolt after using handplanes xnormal plugin, I'll try re-running it through handplane see what I get after manually touching up the object space maps channels
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a lot of digging and modifying awhile back but nothing ever worked for me. closest I got was a ton of red X's flowing out where the particle should be.

I'm sorry... I have asked several times here in the past and nobody was willing to give any useful advice, even those who knew how to do it(so it just seemed like people were being mute about it). well thanks anyways...

my bad for being agressive, got mad with all the childish things i've being reading on reddit and discounted on the wrong person.

I will see if i save some time to write about it
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am going texture my lion head myself, you may see it in my thread. I just realised that I need to do it polypaint after I looked lina's hair as an example. I just want to know if you guys know any special brush or tactic in order to polypaint a hair???
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my bad for being agressive, got mad with all the childish things i've being reading on reddit and discounted on the wrong person.

I will see if i save some time to write about it

No hard feelings, I could have broached the subject in a more appropriate manner. I honestly never meant to sound like I was blaming anyone so I hope you didn't think I was talking about you or anything.

Any insights at all into the process would be more than appreciated, so yeah whenever you've got the time I'd love to know more.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    a small singleitem collabo with remixx, would be kind if u would leave us a vote <3

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=245746021
    head1%20thumb%20512x512.jpg
    1.gif
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    cagdasx44 wrote: »
    I am going texture my lion head myself, you may see it in my thread. I just realised that I need to do it polypaint after I looked lina's hair as an example. I just want to know if you guys know any special brush or tactic in order to polypaint a hair???

With dotas style it is super simple to polypaint hair with just a standard brush and claytubes, maybe modified some to your tastes. Vlad has this CM hat that has some nice hair polypaint shots
    http://www.workshophatemachine.com/2013/09/30/cm-shapka-making/
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No hard feelings, I could have broached the subject in a more appropriate manner. I honestly never meant to sound like I was blaming anyone so I hope you didn't think I was talking about you or anything.

Any insights at all into the process would be more than appreciated, so yeah whenever you've got the time I'd love to know more.

add me on skype later, i think it will be quicker like that, its tvidotto
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    anyone got a spare TI4 ticket :/
  • Darren Pinard
  • SemiColonThree
    If you cant find anyone with a ticket

they are on sale on ebay from scrapers for 200ish for GA, im sure those will go quick as well xD

or

You can try to email valve to see if you can somehow purchase access, cause the tickets sold out within 20 minutes or so. Kind of hard to catch the purchase.
    Boonta wrote: »
    anyone got a spare TI4 ticket :/
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Me and my friend just finished this set for Abaddon. It's his first set for DOTA 2, so please be kind and give him some love.

Reaper_of_Avernus_02_zps0b627597.jpg
  • mickeytheretriever
    hey guys and girls!
    Finally decided to create my own concept thread, so feel free to drop in case you're looking for a concept artist for collaboration ;3
    oiHbQOa.jpg
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    It looks awesome popcorn.
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man. I appreciate that.
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    Shameless cross post from my thread but I finally got a full set in for the first time :)
    The Shadow King
    EC48E4ABF8DD78AFBD895443A150661BDC8B784A
    637x358.resizedimage

Would love feedback! I'm not entirely happy with how the shoulders turned out in lowpoly but at some point I just have to let this out into the wild. Hope you guys like it!
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    Hey guys. Me and my friend just finished this set for Abaddon. It's his first set for DOTA 2, so please be kind and give him some love.

I absolutely adore this set, in love with the scythe especially, it looks very menacing and badass in the loadout. Very clean overall and reads well. Best of luck!

@John: Looks great! Congratz on your first set, may it be the first of many! You forgot to hyperlink your set, here's the link for everyone else wanting to go right to it: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=245561280
  • Sumers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sumers polycounter lvl 10
    so how you like those beautiful t-shirts at workshop guys?
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So excited for the new merchandise corner of Steam Workshop, as for now I submitted my existing fanart of Kunkka as art prints, please give it some lovin'

3YDQZrYl.jpg
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox wrote: »
    Shameless cross post from my thread but I finally got a full set in for the first time :)
    The Shadow King
    EC48E4ABF8DD78AFBD895443A150661BDC8B784A
    637x358.resizedimage

Would love feedback! I'm not entirely happy with how the shoulders turned out in lowpoly but at some point I just have to let this out into the wild. Hope you guys like it!

Now this is amazing work! Shadow Demon doesn't recieve a lot of love, so he desperately needs good sets like this on. :)
  • Rocket_Science
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket_Science polycounter lvl 8
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Automedic wrote: »
    Now this is amazing work! Shadow Demon doesn't recieve a lot of love, so he desperately needs good sets like this on. :)

Thanks so much!! I realized I forgot to include the link!!

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=245561280

Votes would be amazing if you guys like it :)
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    @cottonwings: I want this on my wall!

I can't believe I managed to put this helmet under 800 tris:

7Xl3w.png

Textures still WIP
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a curiosity! How do you guys feel about changing models and designs after posting? For example, already two people mentioned changing the tail for my SD set and I'm wondering if that's often worth doing? I'm happy to but last time I tried to change the model for something it seemed like it did nothing for response. Each time is different certainly but I'm just curious on your thoughts. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=245904357
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    danjohncox wrote: »
    Here's a curiosity! How do you guys feel about changing models and designs after posting? For example, already two people mentioned changing the tail for my SD set and I'm wondering if that's often worth doing? I'm happy to but last time I tried to change the model for something it seemed like it did nothing for response. Each time is different certainly but I'm just curious on your thoughts. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=245904357

Upload revisions as alternative styles to the piece, let the community vote it out, or chance for all the things to be added