Home General Discussion

Is it worth to learn and use Max?

I decide to learn Max, for character modeling only and hard surface. I can't stand Maya anymore, i don't like the poly modeling tools there and seems i can't handle it.

But i was thinking, is it worth to learn Max now, where game studios are moving towards Maya? I am thinking to move in Canada, but i am not sure where 3ds max is used.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Learn whatever you're comfortable with but be prepared to switch. I was a Maya user and my first industry job used Max, I literally learned how to use it during my art test. I had some experience with Max before starting the test but it wasn't extensive, I didn't know what reset xforms did for instance.

Every job I've had or applied to since then has been Max based, I think California might be more Maya centric than the rest of the US, it's hard to tell really.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Either or, whatever you're comfortable with as an artist.

At my studio we use both.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Doesn't really matter what software you use because it's the skills that matter. Choose whatever you're comfortable with, you can switch to whatever your employer uses any time.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    People have been predicting the Maya takeover for like... 10+ years... Alongside the rumor that Autodesk was canceling 3DS Max.

I've yet to see either of these materialize.

Someone should start another polycount software survey poll. Would be interesting to see how many different packages people are using now compared to 4 years ago, especially with the introduction of specialized tools like marvelous designer/handplane/ddo/substance/etc and wider use of modo
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    A someone that has recently made the switch - they are very similar these days. Coming from Max, it didn't take me long at all to get used to Maya's modelling tools. Currently trying out Modo which is actually a bit more of a jump.

If you're struggling with modelling in Maya and you think it's the tools, I would question switching applications because you think your modelling will suddenly improve. You just need to keep working to get better.
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. What do you mean to watch 3ds max tutorials. but doing in Maya? Cuz i can't find good hard surface tutorials for Maya, but they are lots of for 3ds max, so i am not sure if it's good or bad idea
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    The hard surface tutorials arent to be seen as locked to programs , the techniques you do in max you just need to reproduce

Did you read the polycount wiki ? Or the technical talk thread sticky about hard surface ? Lots of pearls of wisdom there ! Good luck man !