Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fable 2 Slums - My first PBR attempt

Malatoar
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Malatoar polycounter lvl 7
Hi everyone,

I came across this piece of concept art not that long ago. I want to make a cool portfolio piece and practice PBR, and this seemed like a great concept for that. I couldn't find the artist's name with it though.
slums.jpg

What I want to achieve with this project:
*Improve my workflow and pipeline.
*Get a (better) understanding of (realistic) environmental sculpting.
*Learn to use Unreal Engine 4.
*Learn how to apply PBR.

I first decided to do a material definition paintover.
MaterialDef.jpg

Made a material reference sheet;
Reference.jpg

And I started blocking out in Maya.
Blockout.jpg
Blockout02.jpg
I just noticed the missing chimney and missing props on the street. Will add those in a bit!

I also started blocking in some high poly parts. I figured this would be a better base to start sculpting from. I believe this is a bit unorthodox.
HiPolyStart.jpg

All feedback (on either the modelling or my workflow) is more than welcome, seeing that I'm hoping to learn a lot from this project. Thanks!

Replies

• Xsim1
    Offline / Send Message
    Xsim1 polycounter lvl 4
    I love this concept! Really good breakout and blockout so far. You have good references, but maybe you could look for more.

Good luck with that! Subscribed to the thread :)
  • mats effect
    Loved Fable 2 :) remember this area from the game it was pretty cool. Not much to be critical of yet but, looks like you have some good ref images to start with, remember you can never have enough of them though.
  • Ssjtroll
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    I love the Fable art style, I am excited to see how this turns out :D
  • Malatoar
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I'll look up some more reference.

Managed to get in an hour or so of work this evening, just wanted to share the latest update!

HiPoly0505.jpg
  • Malatoar
    Offline / Send Message
    The latest update;
    HiPoly0705.jpg

I think I've got all the wood blocked in for sculpting now. I figured blocking out the planks would help me with that. Tomorrow I'll either block in the rest of the high poly stuff before sculpting, or I'll start with sculpting the wood.

All feedback is more than welcome!
  • Xsim1
    Offline / Send Message
    Xsim1 polycounter lvl 4
    Really good start so far! I love your blockout, it looks natural. The tiles on the small roof are also looking great : )

Keep the good work, can't wait to see what it looks like textured. I subscribed to your thread ^^
  • Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome, looking forward to see your progress :D
  • Malatoar
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it! :)

SculptStart0805.jpg

I started doing some sculpting on the planks. Never sculpted wood before! I'm not extremely satisfied, but I can't say I'm too disappointed either. I guess that during this project I'll get a lot more experience with wood, haha.
    If anyone has any comments or feedback, I'd love to hear it!
  • BarnabyJones
    http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/materials/woodrough/woodrough.html this technique has worked with me that and a height map with zbrush noise maker
  • Karmageddon
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I know it's weird but the slums and industrial parts of town were my favorites in the Fable games. Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
  • Malatoar
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! The tutorial is more than welcome! I'm using Mudbox instead of zbrush (mainly because I got it with my student license), so I'm not quite sure what the equivalent of noise maker would be.

Anyways, after a somewhat busy weekend, I finally had some time to continue. I put some more time in sculpting (more) wood. Here's some screenshots!
    HiPoly1205.jpg
    Hope you like it!

As always, all comments and feedback are more than welcome!
  • Malatoar
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a week since I last posted. In that week, I've embarrassingly not done that much. Trying to at least do a little on the project every day, but I do notice that without a deadline I seem to be slacking off more than I'd like to admit. Anyways, I wanted to share some progress!

HiPoly1905.jpg
    HiPolyB1905.jpg

This is the current state of the wood sculpts. Personally I'm quite happy with it and tempted to start calling these pieces finished, but I'd love any feedback on that. The ladder and two planks don't seem to take any brushes for no apparent reason, so I'll be doing some research into that.

Also, I thought adding nails and stuff like that would be easier to just float above the geometry and bake them in.

LowPoly1905.jpg

I've also been putting a little (very little) work in starting the clean low poly model that I want to bake to. The only real issue I'm having with that is that I have absolutely no idea how much polygons to aim for. During next week I'm hoping to place all the low poly geometry, uv it, hopefully start baking down some stuff, and then start sculpting the stone and rope pieces!

Hope you enjoyed, and please don't hold back with criticism!
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Sculpt is looking great. However your planks are too perfect, and evenly spaced. Try adding variation by creating some uneven spacing, shift some planks at an angle, to reinforce some of the weathered look that you have sculpted. Similar to the roof.