Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Missed too much in a span of a day!
    I also posted another anonymous post on reddit, feel free to join! ;)

@Vlad, people are hating your account cause its a smurf account, which doesn't make sense because this is about a message. *shrug*

The workshop has been spiraling into a pit for a while now. Only valve can stop that, but if Valve doesn't say anything, things will only get worse!

The truth is that its getting things into the game is going to get harder after every update. What valve needs to do, is give more freedom to workshop artists and start segregating the workshop into sections; 3rd party items, veteran artists(people who got things in) and then new artists.

Giving more freedom would be allowing artists to customize almost everything about the charater. But since valve doesn't have the pipeline for it, they should just make one! What they also should be doing is having an annual official competition (maybe even a hero one)

Different sections means everyone can get a shot at the top. Hard work in the workshop means nothing because it will just be overshadowed by some tourney/proplayer item. The new artists can be rated by their works and get things in, while the rest of the workshop isn't crowded by 3rd parties. Having that segregation would mean a cleaner workshop.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF WORKSHOP EQUALITY
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    workshop disband!
  • multitud3
    Offline / Send Message
    multitud3 polycounter lvl 5
    hey guys, sorry to c-c-combo break the thread with an unrelated question, but here goes... i asked in another thread, but does anyone know if it's possible to create custom spirits for brewmaster's ulti? if so, even if through some shady means, could you point me in the right direction?

back on topic: all i know is that i'm sad my stuff hasn't been getting in recently :(
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    ...well I'm glad this is still happening
    F7j4uct.jpg

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF WORKSHOP EQUALITY! #WORKSHOPAWARENESSMONTH

On another note.. (never thought I'd say this in one of these threads.)

What are you working on? I'd love to see some art :)
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    multitud3 wrote: »
    hey guys, sorry to c-c-combo break the thread with an unrelated question, but here goes... i asked in another thread, but does anyone know if it's possible to create custom spirits for brewmaster's ulti? if so, even if through some shady means, could you point me in the right direction?

back on topic: all i know is that i'm sad my stuff hasn't been getting in recently :(

I am sure you could similar to how Onilolz and Zaphk and VikkO did the Dragon Knight ulti, but on this same line you may end up doing a ton of work for it to sit in workshop limbo. You should start by decompiling Brewmasters files and looking for the ulti models and animations and work based off those. You would then need to manually compile this, and unfortunately I know nothing on this for dota only tf2, and I have only done whats in the importer
  • Bernoully
    Offline / Send Message
    Bernoully polycounter lvl 4
    I'm late to the thread, ah well :(

Seeing the state of the Dota 2 Workshop saddens me, because it's starting to remind me of TF2 Workshop's current state, where countless hats and full sets are in limbo, while a unicorn hat got through with custom voicework. I don't even visit TF2 Workshop anymore, I don't think there's much chance in there.

I saw the new chest as well, and have read both Workshop posts on Reddit. I like Anuxi designs, I posted the link to Snowdrop set in Reddit as my first post. Learnt about Polycount from that Valve contest! It was not until later when my girlfriend and I found out concept artists could join in, that's when we gave it a try in here. Many of you guys inspire us, but I also know which items are of terrible design or quality, but got in some way or another. I don't want to see Dota 2 item designs being mere afterthought for the amount of effort and design put into most.

I could go optimistic and say "let's try harder, market harder and make better stuff!" but the reality is this: Workshop submissions are growing so fast it's impossible to put many single items and sets in without 5 community chests and 10 sets in an update, in order to GIFF EQUALITY. With the current in-game item pool, items are already devalued to mere cents on the Marketplace. I thought it was already a bad sign when I first saw the Queen of Pain Blight set selling below $5. Now we have entire sets in a chest, great value for the amount of electricity, effort and pixelwork in exchange, eh? /sarcasm

When I lurk on Reddit and post on PlayDota forums, there's always that ongoing joke about "Volvo hat updates again? What happened to fixing the bugs?". It's a tough issue: if "Workshop Equality Program" goes live, just how will Valve handle the ever-increasing backlog of good and great item sets, without devaluing each subsequent wave of release AND not make each update 300MB?

If Valve have any ideas, I hope they post here on Polycount or on Reddit. Because I'm dying to know. Valve reading our stuff is not enough, I want answers, even half-assed ones.

My girlfriend and I want to make more Dota 2 items beyond hobbyist levels but it's just really difficult for no-names like us right now. We persevere on, but not blindly.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    SLIMEface wrote: »
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF WORKSHOP EQUALITY!

Anuxi right now...
    i-never-asked-for-this-210x210-13638063411.jpg

Would be cool if you could comment on the reddit thread saying the same stuff you said on here.

I thought about writing a post on how I approach the workshop like everyone else. Submit and fucking pray that shit gets on the store. Look for feedback and see what I can do with it. How I don't expend any favours from valve to make sure for my own pride, that its the quality of my work and my marketing skills that help if get popular and possible add to the store.

I've had sets that have taken 6 months to get into the game, some I've written off entirely as never getting in, then one day, Surprise!

No I didn't ask for any of this. Not to be a 'favourite' or to get 'fast tracked'.
    All I wanna do is contribute to the game I love in the only way I know how.

If my name needs to take a hit for the good of the workshop, so be it. I'll just keep plugging away at making items and trying to improve.

Plus the focus on that thread should be about improving the workshop not defending myself. So in the end, I decided posting this there is pointless.

I post this here because perhaps you guys can use it to stay motivated and continue making awesome stuff for the workshop. Don't give up!

Now can I get back to seeing cool art again in this thread plx? Make a new thread to discuss this if the discussion needs to go on.
  • Delth
    I still want better eyes for the Owlion :p

Eh I just wish they would stop adding such low tier items attached to tournament tickets, those are almost always awful and don't go through any quality control process. Not like if there's any anyway, upvoting is so biased it's all about promoting (like dotacinema's sheep and casters telling people to upvote stuff) or people abusing it with bots.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Ok so after reading your suggestions I tried to fix some issues. Please let me know what you think about it now :)
    I have redone masks. Toned down secular. Made shadows and ao more deep. Added brighter green on some parts to make some point of interest, especially shoulder "wings". Added alpha on her hair and cape.
    Maybe changes are not dramatic but in my opinion you guys pushed me in direction that I would not go alone. Thanks!

uPdT8sr.jpg
  • Xajai
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Have been toying with an invoker ward idea, last night i finally did some 3d and paintover, could look cool. I might rework the base, and add some thicker books for readability purposes, any ideas or comments?
    GtGMzW6.jpg
  • Artypi
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    Konras wrote: »
    Ok so after reading your suggestions I tried to fix some issues. Please let me know what you think about it now :)
    I have redone masks. Toned down secular. Made shadows and ao more deep. Added brighter green on some parts to make some point of interest, especially shoulder "wings". Added alpha on her hair and cape.
    Maybe changes are not dramatic but in my opinion you guys pushed me in direction that I would not go alone. Thanks!

absolutely gorgeous!! great work!!!
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    What's up with the fake ears?
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Were hidden inside helmet all the time!
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah I'm not a fan of the ears, but like the rest
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    Were hidden inside helmet all the time!
    Are you trying to recreate the success of catdrow?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    multitud3 wrote: »

its always possible, but if its not on the ingame compiler you will need to compile by yourself, which is not as simple as just filling some files in.

its also possible to get accepted, my first couriers,spirit of calm and gleaming seal weapon for PA are custom compiled
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    @Konras I like the set, but I'm not so certain about the ears, to me it seems like they are just a tad too far down, and that looks a bit too odd to me. other than that it's pretty neat^^
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Question: How do you guys go about baking the inside of mouths?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Konras that set looks wicked now. Ears though feel a bit fat, to thick in the cartilage or something. Almost more like blue horns than ears. If you can spare it, more definition is needed.

Vertical, separate mouth inside from body, split top and bottom, split teeth and tongue. If ray cast fails, make cage.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    vertical wrote: »

This thread has some nice info too:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104557
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message

uPdT8sr.jpg

the ingame pics looks really nice man, good work

something that bothers me a little are the ears, i cant say well for those images, but they look too low on the head, normally the highest connection with the head is on the eyeline and yours looks a little under it. Other then that looks really nice =]
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical wrote: »

i normally use a cage to bake so i can tweak my cage to fit inside of the mouth without overlapping. if you want you bake several maps without a cage but with different distance and later join then on photoshop
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the info!
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the side view for ears. Maybe a tiny little bit to low.
    Vf3dgIj.jpg
    Vlad we all know cats have ears on top of their heads :)
    But seriously now I like the ears so they will have to stay :D Maybe they are little to massive, however I like that they are visible from ingame view.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah I think you should still move them a bit more up, since your ears are quite a bit taller than human ears. :P
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    But seriously now I like the ears so they will have to stay :D Maybe they are little to massive, however I like that they are visible from ingame view.

That image makes me like the ears even less. They are just stuck on and sitting on top of the hair, and dont look to be coming out of the hair. I also personally don't like the pointy ears on dota heros, like the last Windrunner set added, just looks out of place
  • MugenMcFugen
    Vf3dgIj.jpg

Problem is it looks like they are glued on the hair rather than going trough the hair. :V
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Sorry to keep harping on this, but I think it would just look better if you could use the area you're using to cover up her seam to make fake skin that connects to the ear to make it look more natural. I'm not bothered by the dark line behind the ear at all, but I am bothered by it looking like you're intentionally trying to cover it up instead of having a realistic design of how hair contours around the ear. I'm just concerned that instead of people pointing out your previous set being "clown-like" that they'll turn their attention to the hair instead, eclipsing the work you've done already. I SAY IT BECAUSE I CARE, DAMN IT. <3

6M8Octl.jpg
  • cottonwings
    .... I SAY IT BECAUSE I CARE, DAMN IT. <3

I-It's not like I want to help you a-anyway... baka...

u1EOmLM.jpg

Sorry Blades that I used yours as a template (I care too <3) Here's my suggestion, explained in the pic above. The hair tucked under the helmet is touching the scalp dangerously close, sooooooo yeah~
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, detailed feedback guys, I did not suspect that. My worst enemy was her hmm brown hood :D Here is the image:
    7exv0rz.png
    I would totally go for something like Cottonwins showed, however that would require overlay for her jaw and that would not work out well, at least not better than it is right now. This hair was only possible way for me to cover her ears area and still show the ear. Thought decision.
    It looks good on promo hmm, but probably because Madzia did better job than I did on model itself :/
    MWNRocs.png

I would just wish her head would be just skintone :(
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Vf3dgIj.jpg

you are right with the ear, my bad with the false alarm

and that brow hud... had some headaches with that too. some heroes should not have that to give us a little more freedom..
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    From the TI4 FAQ on the Dota site:

Q. I’m a Workshop Contributor, will there be a place for me at the International?
    This year we’ll be setting aside a larger space for Contributors to meet fans, work together, and show off their creations. If you’re interested in participating, we’ll have a signup space for you soon. In the meantime, make sure you purchase your ticket when they go on sale on Friday.
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Sukotto wrote: »
    From the TI4 FAQ on the Dota site:

Q. I’m a Workshop Contributor, will there be a place for me at the International?
    This year we’ll be setting aside a larger space for Contributors to meet fans, work together, and show off their creations. If you’re interested in participating, we’ll have a signup space for you soon. In the meantime, make sure you purchase your ticket when they go on sale on Friday.

Q. I only have one set in the game since last year (yeah i'm lazy) and I've never been to United States before in my life (so i'll probably need help with the visa). Do I count?
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    marul wrote: »
    Q. I only have one set in the game since last year (yeah i'm lazy) and I've never been to United States before in my life (so i'll probably need help with the visa). Do I count?

I don't see why you wouldn't count :thumbup:
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    I don't see why you wouldn't count :thumbup:

this! you ARE a contributor, dont see any reason to not say so

awesome guys, we will have a place for everyone! =]
  • PoPcorn
    I am really happy that it seem the workshop at this years TI4 will be open to everyone.
  • Delth
    Xajai wrote: »
    Have been toying with an invoker ward idea, last night i finally did some 3d and paintover, could look cool. I might rework the base, and add some thicker books for readability purposes, any ideas or comments?
    GtGMzW6.jpg

Pretty sure Invoker doesn't need books, he just memorizes everything :p
  • TommyTehZombie
    Anyone know if theres any solid custom particle tutorials for Dota 2 items yet? I know theres no "official" support for it yet but theres a bunch of stuff thats been submitted using custom particles.
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Anyone know if theres any solid custom particle tutorials for Dota 2 items yet? I know theres no "official" support for it yet but theres a bunch of stuff thats been submitted using custom particles.

I've been trying to figure it out forever and I still can't. Making particles isn't the hard part.. implementing them and seeing them in-game is just about impossible. And those with the knowledge aren't willing to make tutorials or even hint at how to figure it out :(
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    We are making a set for Clockwerk! Still WIP
    This guy is so fun to make cosmetics.
    I ripped the model from the files. You can download it here

7Vgv8.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    solid sculpt, looking awesome!
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    darkkyo wrote: »
    I've been trying to figure it out forever and I still can't. Making particles isn't the hard part.. implementing them and seeing them in-game is just about impossible. And those with the knowledge aren't willing to make tutorials or even hint at how to figure it out :(

I'm having some custom particles done for an upcoming project probably and can see if we can put together a step by step tutorial over the process of creating the particles for it. The reason I've been a bit hesitant is because once the official tools and support comes out for custom particles the tutorial will be pretty much useless, but I'm not sure if that will be weeks or months.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Hwh9eRv.png
    Clockwerk head sculpt, retopo shouldn't take too long.
    flexes should be fun
  • bounchfx
    Clockwerk head sculpt, retopo shouldn't take too long.
    flexes should be fun

do you know of a link anywhere I could learn how to do the FLEX shapes? It pretty much killed all the momentum of my void set so long ago. Haven't figured it out since :(
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    OniLolz wrote: »
    We are making a set for Clockwerk! Still WIP
    This guy is so fun to make cosmetics.
    I ripped the model from the files. You can download it here

7Vgv8.jpg

Dr Robotnik! Great sculpt.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo wrote: »

looks like you are acusing people of not sharing the knowlege =]

i have a suggestion, open one particle, edit and save. That is probably what 90% of the guys are doing
  • Rocket_Science
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket_Science polycounter lvl 8
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    CK set WIP
    They told me i could be anything, so i became a grill.
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    They told me i could be anything, so i became ZURG.

quote faking :P
  • Rocket_Science
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket_Science polycounter lvl 8
    They told me i could be anything, so i became a grill.

Oh, thanks man :)
    Just tell me when to start laughing <3