Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Grom Hellscream

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jmiles interpolator
really getting pumped for WoD, so I decided to make my own version of Grom. This is not an entry for Blizzfest.. just something for myself on my own time outside of work. The plan is for PBR materials, rigged n posed nicely and perhaps something more w/ other characters down the road. Thanks for watching.

Grom_02_zpsb1e22a26.jpg

I started all but my main figure base meshing in 3DS Max. The base mesh of the figure was pulled from Zbrush-- one of the male figures. My hard-surface shapes were kept fairly simple. All my parts were separate, and I held my edges through smoothing groups. Here is an example of my wires:

Grom_01_wires_zps72f63956.jpg

Afterward, I exported my main big shapes (gloves, boots, etc) as separate objects so they would come into zbrush as separate sub-tools. I exported them in w/ the sub D levels turned up, fairly even in resolution, and w/ the isoline display turned off. This way, they would hold their shape in Zbrush, and I could reconstruct the sub divisions later. Here's the initial block-in:

Grom_05_zpsae4094f6.jpg

For the the fur shapes, I blocked in some really low res shapes started from spherinders-- dynameshed and z-remeshed til I got the shape I needed. Then when I started to make the actual hair tufts, I made one tuft from fiber mesh, and then proceeded to make an insert brush from it, and duped it and positioned it tuft by tuft.. really pleased w/ the result.

Grom_06_zpsa1816777.jpg

Grom_07_zpsed296b40.jpg

Lots to do yet, but pretty much down to scratches and textures. Stay tuned for more. Cheers!

Replies