Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warm up fun (deus ex 3 scene)

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Update

deusexsceneudk1.jpg

Finally got this into UDK, was just messing around with the new light shafts, I'll probably start texturing either tomorrow or sometime this week. I was just going over the concept again and I think it is going to be a bit harder to get some of the tones that I would like to hit since a lot of the colours are either dark or yellow (pretty different ranges). It may be a bit harder to hit that golden tint, but it should be fun none the less.

PS. Arman is a douche... bag.
  • Orb
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    i love it already
  • willy-wilson
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    drools.... ah ahem, this is coming along really nicely keep it up.
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    pffft

start over!

(looking good dude ,I would like to see more color lights though. Make sure to make some nice materials on this bad boy! I will be watching you boy ! ._. )
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Looking good, I'm just about to revive my Deus Ex thread as well. :) I was wondering, how do you manage to get those smooth lights/shadows? Do you avoid using the the lightmass/global illumination and just stick with basic lights? I tend to get some pretty ugly shadows, might just be some setting I mess up with in UDK.

I do agree that the railing should be a bit thicker, unless its because of the greyness of the scene, the concept have some strong yellow on the railing, which might help bringing it out.
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    :O..................

nice
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    This thread definitely needs more textures, more wireframes, more breakdowns and more workflow information :poly142:
    Esepcially the nDo stuff would kinda suck me in.
    Any information coming from you is worth everything !

I'm not too sure whether the railings really need to be joined with the lower walls. First it looks weird floating just like that and second I think it would work fine just without them - only being attached to the floor

Anyways, splendid work so far - cuddling your brain as usual :thumbup:
  • Pedro Amorim
    this scene looks fucking awesome!
  • Farfarer
    Damn, Jason, that's some sweet stuff. Super clean bakes :D

Makes me want Deus Ex 3 even more though :(
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    ooo, great work, looking forward to see you texture this!, be sure to give us a break down of how ya do them :3 (if you can :P, which means yes :3)
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    OMG this is looking great so far. I'm loving the lighting and really can't wait to see the textures as well. AA so far!
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Got to work on some of the base textures tonight, messing around with colours (going towards a more vibrant orange - yellow instead of the desaturated goldish colour) Arman and I were trying to figure out what worked better, and right now I think I'm sticking to this. I'd love to see how I can change it in post processing though.

deusexsceneudk2.jpg

Don't mind the spec as its super high and based off the diffuse right now, I know that Im going to have to really nail down the spec for this scene to work. It's going to be interested to see how the cubemaps have an effect on everything as well... but right now I just want to get the base colours down.

More to come :)
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    mm. black yellow red. sexy.

Make sure to downrez from a higher rez than this, that aliasing looks really bad.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    lookin really awesome! i like the color scheme a lot.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I really like the color scheme you have so far Jason. How long did doing bakes on everything take? Did you experiment with doing height maps instead of high poly for the floor or walls?
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Looking good so far. I can't exactly crit it since it's not at the stage where you've fully decided on the style and textures. But it's going well so keep it up.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Hey Jason! fantastic work! I'm just getting into my own DE3 themed project for school and seeing this is a real inspiration!

I think you should push the glossy look of the concept. I noticed alot of the concepts have a very bright glossy look about them, but its kind of lost in the game. Something I'm aiming for... I want to see you do it so I can copy the results, haha! :P

G/L!
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    very nice! it would look better if you put some variation on a specular map. No need to add detail to the diffuse. Only specular to make it look a little lived in. Right now, it looks too perfect.
  • paulsvoboda
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    This is looking lovely so far. The colour scheme is really strong, can' wait to see it across the whole scene.
    Keep Going!
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Loving how its coming together. As someone mentioned earlier..would love to see some breakdowns and workflow later down the road when you get a chance. Keep it up.
  • Razorb
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    oh shit jason! didnt know u was working on something :D sexy times indeeeeeeeed!

lookin forward to seeing this le fin!
  • shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Lookin sexy Jason! Instead of the 'gold is the new future' tone that Deus Ex 3 has taken on, I admire the fact that you're pulling away from the concept and making it your own with your yellows/blacks/off-whites colour scheme. It feels almost Mass Effect 2-ish now though. Cerberus's colour scheme. If ya played ME2, you know what I mean. Anyhow, I like it, can't wait to see more!
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I like that color scheme. This is going to look sweet when you are finished.

I wonder if you could throw some bundled wires or something hanging from the top, just add some more interest up there? I know, why would there be lots of exposed wiring? But, it might look really cool.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Man these threads now a days keep on getting buried faster and faster :(

Anywho, I got a Saturday update :)

deusexsceneudk3.jpg

Finally started working on texturing. One of the biggest thing's I've learned from DE so far is it's ok to not fill your texture with noising annoying information, and I think its paying off.

I'm also starting to mess with my own custom post processing chain (based of of Unreal defaults) and now adding some "flare" to it. I really want to see if I can nail that golden tone like Deus Ex does it, but for now I need to get more texturing done.

Sorry about the jaggies as well, I'll fix that when I'm closer to being finished, but damn is it ever bad in these shots.

I still have no proper spec for these materials just yet, Id love to get my diffuse done first, then really push the specular, this plus some tweaked cube maps should really sell the scene.

Once I'm finished up, I'd love to do another quick break down video of my scene, and hopefully touch on some of the things some of you have been asking about, either that or post some pictures. I really enjoy the idea of making postmortem videos, I think Ryan (Virtousic) will be making one as well for his pit scene :)
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    VIDEO VDIEO VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love videos

looks great so far jay :D Looking forward to that spec, cause it seems a little dull right now <_<
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    (might as well put this onto the next page)

Man these threads now a days keep on getting buried faster and faster :(

Anywho, I got a Saturday update :)

deusexsceneudk3.jpg

Finally started working on texturing. One of the biggest thing's I've learned from DE so far is it's ok to not fill your texture with noising annoying information, and I think its paying off.

I'm also starting to mess with my own custom post processing chain (based of of Unreal defaults) and now adding some "flare" to it. I really want to see if I can nail that golden tone like Deus Ex does it, but for now I need to get more texturing done.

Sorry about the jaggies as well, I'll fix that when I'm closer to being finished, but damn is it ever bad in these shots.

I still have no proper spec for these materials just yet, Id love to get my diffuse done first, then really push the specular, this plus some tweaked cube maps should really sell the scene.

Once I'm finished up, I'd love to do another quick break down video of my scene, and hopefully touch on some of the things some of you have been asking about, either that or post some pictures. I really enjoy the idea of making postmortem videos, I think Ryan (Virtousic) will be making one as well for his pit scene :)
  • Generalvivi
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice man! Looks great :D
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    dooope :)

really nice man, works great compared to the concept too (i love the clean style).
    Seconding video too :D
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    cool update man, I really mis the gold material though I think it'd add aton of contrast to your scene, and the gold and black combo is quite signature from Deus Ex from what I've seen.
    Anyhow, looking great man, keep it up :)
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great, I agree with vahl on the gold panels, plus I would give some panels on the floor and wall a more metal reflection. It currently all looks like plastic
  • GoSsS
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    This scene is pretty amazing !
    I really like the clean aspect. Maybe it misses some spec (and reflection) here and there but i'm sure you'll add it later.
    I second vahl on the gold material, actually your yellow is kind of flashy/distracting.

Looking forward to see more !
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Very nice but out of curiousity, how will you fix the jaggies? I need to take screenshots soon but I want to take them in the editor.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Habboi wrote: »
    Very nice but out of curiousity, how will you fix the jaggies? I need to take screenshots soon but I want to take them in the editor.

tileshot usually gets rid of it. Looking good Jay..

PS whats your light setup. Really like your shadows.
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    I'm REALLY interested to see how you laid out your texture for this. If you could post a summation or quick breakdown I would really appreciate it. Doesn't have to be anything fancy I just want to see how many sheets you are are using.

Also, one thing you may not have noticed in the first scene. Is that there is a warm cool relationship between the gray and the blue.

If you put gray into any scene it will automatically look either warm or cool depending on what you put it next to.

GRAY next 2 COOL = A PERCEIVED WARM GRAY

GRAY next 2 WARM = A PERCEIVED COOL GRAY

That relationship was clearly present in the first scene. The cooler panels were making the GRAY bits look warmer creating a nice contrast that was apart of the visual language.

I think its probably also why the concept artist went with a less intense warm color because the already established color temperature ramp is in place. He was going from cool to warm gray to gold. The gold, in the context of warm gray, looked warmer than it might on its own.

tempatureramp.jpg

Right now the entire scene looks quite warm and sort of leaves me wondering why. Its like your trying to visually communicate we are inside a volcano or something.

If you don't have a specific reason for it you may want to go back to the more balanced and neutral relationship originally displayed in the concept.

Just a thought, great work so far :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone :)

I WILL get that gold tone in there, but currently I want to make sure all my textures are "done" with the current colour scheme, from there it is very easy to adjust the colours once I can see everything in the scene.

I think total I have 4 lights in the scene right now, 2 mimicking the top lights (I really don't need 2 but whateves, it works right now). I have an orange light in the very back of the scene (where the other stairs go up) and I have a pinkish kinda light in the foreground (behind the camera)

Jocose - Thats great man, can you tell me how you got that strip? (I'm thinking you just took part of the scene and then blured or stretched the fack out of it) that is super handy.

As for the colour choices right now, I always change things as I go on, it's just the mater of feeling. I tend to lean towards either warmer "feeling" or a much darker, colder feeling. Right now I'm liking how this is looks to me, I REAAALLLLYY hate the colour sceme / lights in the concept art, I've never liked them to be honest.

I wanted to have fun with this scene and go for a more saturated feel, I was very inspired by Thiago's scene - http://www.thiagoklafke.com/images/thiagoklafke_udkscene_01.jpg. His scene still has some desaturation to it, but his colours are always popping. Right now I just need to find a nice balance, and I'll probably keep on working on that till the end.

Currently I am using 7 texture sheets (all at 1024 x 1024). I don't know what exactly you want to see though, breakdown wise.

More updates to come, thanks again all, I'll keep on taking your crits (even though at times it doesn't seem like I'm using them) but I will, I just need to get the texturing "done" first, then we can have some fun :)
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    wOOPS fixed a typo in my above post my lame gray math should now make more sense.

Yeah the strip was just in pshop. Just grabbed a few blocks of value/color moved them around in pshop, and then stretched them.

Basically I want to see your textures, and see how you atlased them, how many maps your using basically a shader/texture breakdown.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Drop a tiledshot_4 bomb on this baby and you'll make me a new wallpaper. Cool shit Jason :) Great modeling and clean texturing as always.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunday update :)

deusexsceneudk4.jpg

I tried out tiledshot today but it completely kills any and all bloom / light shaft effects, (seems to kill a lot of atmospheric effects) it looks good without the jaggies, but kills the feeling of the entire scene, anyone know how to fix that?

Just hammering away at the textures inch by inch, started to focus too much on the feel of the scene once again and I've dug myself a hole, too much light bouncing / bleeding, I'll fix this soon enough.

But yuh, if anyone know how to fix the tiledshot issue i'm having, pleeasssee let me know :)
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Oh man, thats sick. Loving the feel of the scene so far, excellent textures too ^^

A way to remove the jaggies might be to edit the engine.ini of UDK to start in Direct3D 10 mode then set anti aliasing to whichever works (also done in the ini), I think it crashes above 16x though. It's not greatly implemented but I think it will help a bit :)
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Oh man, thats sick. Loving the feel of the scene so far, excellent textures too ^^

A way to remove the jaggies might be to edit the engine.ini of UDK to start in Direct3D 10 mode then set anti aliasing to whichever works (also done in the ini), I think it crashes above 16x though. It's not greatly implemented but I think it will help a bit :)

Hey! Thats a nifty trick, but can you say where you can find the engine.ini file? I'm having trouble locating it.
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Hmmm, the lighting feels much warmer than it was in the concept. Are you changing it up and just gonna keep the warmer feel? Personally I feel that your textures are too saturated right now. You can knock down those yellows just a bit and really push those grays to a more blue tone. I actually like the last lighting a lot better and really think you should have just pushed your textures towards a more blue tone overall.

I did a quick paintover to show what I mean. Hope it helpspaintova.jpg?t=1291633870
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    going back and forth between the concept and your progress.. it seems like the proportions are off by a bit in some areas. could just be the field of view tho. i like the color palette that marq4porsche did.. though it seems like its just a small lighting change really. you could just mess with post processing i guess.. i really like the way its coming out as you have it tho.
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Hey! Thats a nifty trick, but can you say where you can find the engine.ini file? I'm having trouble locating it.
    it's located in UDKGame/Config/Engine.ini

The lines you should change are:
    AllowD3D10 (to true)
    MaxMultisamples (between 2-8 I believe)

Snooping around it seems the later UDK updates added DX 11 too!
    AllowD3D11, not tried it out yet, but I guess it means DX 11 for UDK in the future ^^
  • NoltaN
    Offline / Send Message
    NoltaN polycounter lvl 15
    I really like your work Jason, its looking really good. Personally I enjoy the lighting in yours more than marq's and the concept. Although, I do agree that it could be a slight bit warm. The proportions look pretty good to me Oniram, I think the FoV just throws it off
  • Pix
    I also did a paint over of the lighting shown in the concept which comes from around the corner and highlights the stairs and wall panels.

paintovrlight.jpg

The lighting around there might show there is some bigger hall or maybe an outside light casting glow inside, also this makes the corridor more alive.
  • turpedo
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Jason!

Nice to see you doing some work again, great stuff as usual.

I like what you're doing with the lighting, I will admit though, I miss that warm haze that you had in the lighting prior. I know it was over the top but maybe it could be implemented a tiny bit in certain places?

This is just my opnion right here, its clearly up to you, but the 01 font type seems a little out of place to me compared to the other characters that you have in there.

I know its a sci fi environment, but maybe a more industrial type could be cool. But like I said, this is just a nitpick, awesome stuff so far :thumbup:.
  • G3L
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Damn the baking came out pretty sweet! Keep it up man, will be watching this one ><
  • shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Hey Jason,
    Looking pretty cool.
    The only thing I'm not diggin is the volumetric light shafts coming from the stairwell. I know that this is a neat new feature in UDK, but, be careful with it. So many people are using it incorrectly, and its starting to have the 'Photoshop Lens Flare' affect on your work. Next up, Unicorns in the Moonlight with Lens Flares and Light shafts! Rock it!!
    Seriously though, the scene looks pretty good. I'd just shift it to the cooler side of atmosphere, and ditch the light shafts for something that makes a little more sense lighting wise :D
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Congrats on getting pimped by the Deus Ex dev's. On Facebook a guy wrote:

"Very, very cool. Fact: @jonatchoo likes it as well. RT @BillyMatjiunis A DX:HR environment modeled by a fan."
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Andrew... always ruining my fun aren't you... always trying to make my work better and more professional... HOW DARE YOU OBI WAN... HOW DARE YOU! love!

You are so right good sir, I honestly love the effect, but I know it's going to far, and someone had to call me out on it :) For that I will fix it and make more sense of it (I know a light source needs be coming from there... but no light shafts :P).

Hey guys, thanks again for the freedback and paint overs, I always appreciate it. The biggest thing I'm getting from these are that I need to bring back the contrast, i've lost it and flushed it away, those black tones I need to get back.

The lighting I will have to play with, and I'm probably going to just keep on messing around with it until this scene is done, so each iteration you may see something drastic or something subtle :P

Updates won't happen for a little bit, but I'll get back on this shortly.

Thanks again all :)