Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

[Chivalry] - Mason Man-At-Arms - "Insert Cool Name" Weapon Set

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
Hey all!

So I haven't really figured out a name for this set and I'm not sure if I'll actually do a full set (Weapon and Helmet). At this point I'd like to at least try and produce a Primary and Secondary weapon set.

I've collected a good chunk of reference / inspiration and will put that into a inspiration board soon enough, but for the time being I want to post up a quick mesh sketch I did up in Max -

JasonLavoie_MasonSword_Idea_1.jpg

I'd like to hit on a bit of high fantasy... but I need to make sure I keep it grounded so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. I have a couple ideas I'm messing around with right now, but I think I have a direction / backstory to the this weapon set. :poly142:

Excited to see what everyone cooks up, this will be a fun challenge for sure!

Replies

• Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    nice blockout man, I like the chipped blade.
    stoked to see your reffboard once its done.
  • soulstice
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Hey jay, nice sword look forward to see what you come up with!
  • Noth
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    Open the ole'Thesaurus for some name brainstorming. Never fails.
  • mr.craft
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.craft polycounter lvl 7
    nice blockout and details, good luck
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Even though I didn't get a chance to finish this contest up, I thought I should take this piece to completion.

Broadsword_HP_WIP_01.jpg

I spent today refining the low poly mockup, than started on getting a base for the high poly. I'll be taking this into zbrush after to do a pass in there and then onto texturing / testing out in-game :)

Congrats to all who entered and finished and big congrats to the winners! Much deserved!
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    IMO it looks too heavy and cumbersome to be a MAA weapon. When i think of a MAA weapon I think of a sleek,light fast moving weapon.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 - I'm hoping when you see it in the hands of the character it should hopefullllyy fit a bit better, but that is a valid point. If anything, if I make more of these later on I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Went through and did the sculpting pass. I probably went too stylized / chunky with it... but to be honest, I was having too much fun to really worry about it too much :P

Broadsword_HP_WIP_02.jpg

Next step is to bake this down and start hammering away on the textures. I would LOVE to have this done and implemented in game to run some tests by this weekend.
  • bounchfx
    wow man, this looks splendid. If it's the size I think it is, it should be fine for MAA. The handle detail is going to look awesome in first person. My only concern is the amount of damage on the edge of the blade, it feels really harsh compared to what's currently in game (though not to say it doesn't fit). can't wait to see this bad boy textured!!
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Brent - Congrats on the win!

I was worried that the damage on the blade would be overboard... but I did want it to look like it is an old sword that has been used / passed down. I want to see what it looks like once it's baked down / base texture on it. If it doesn't read well / looks to "weak" I can re-adjust the blade and make it less damaged. I'm interested to see how the silhouette reads in first person.

Thanks for the feedback good sir :)
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    If it's old the look you want. You can easily show that on the blade via diffuse and specular . Old blades typically will dark and have a noise over the surface that gives it a brittle look.

14158089_3.jpg?v=8CF74F4F7C11E00
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    that is looking freaking awesome Jason!
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    More updates!

Sitting at around 4700 tris now... need to clean up the bake, get a secondary AO pass done then start on texturing.

Broadsword_LP_WIP_01.jpg
  • zetheros
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Old swords that were passed down generations were not notched like that, even swords that have survived centuries of wars do not look like that, unless it was made of aluminum. They were actually always kept in near-pristine condition as much as possible.

Think about it; if your grandfather gave you his prized warsword, would you go around bashing it on walls, or parrying with the edge of the blade? Swords were fine instruments of death, with edges always maintained; they are not mundane tools like carpentry hammers or farm tools. A sword without a maintained edge or a point is basically useless =/

The wire wrap needs some work. If you use a sword with wire wrap like that, it would cause massive blistering on your hands after a few fights.

I like the texturing though, you have a good eye for adding wear and tear.
  • soulstice
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay that looks awesome! Good to see you continue this! :D
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks zetheros for the feedback. I think if anything I'm learning that the Chiv crowd seems to appreciated a more realistic approach to their weapons / gear. This sword is just me taking bits and pieces and smashing it all together to make something I think looks "cool" and realism took the back burner. If I make another weapon I will def focus on realism.

Thanks James! It's been really fun to spend some time on this.
  • Dim
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    That bake is looking fantastic, can't wait to see this done!

I wouldn't worry too much about nailing the realism if it means it will diminish the design of the asset. Here's the beginning of our style guide for reference.
  • Dmellott
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    Looks awesome Jason! Really looking forward to see this one complete!
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Not overly happy with where this is at right now... but tweaking always takes the most time. Trying to test the material setup in UDK, loading it up in different maps to see how it looks... I'll setup proper presentation shots once I'm happy with the overall texture / material.

UDK_KinSlayer_Preview_01.jpg

Calling this sword the "Kin Slayer".
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, so I think one last big update before I call this done. Just clicked upload to the store, no idea how this really works so hopefully I didn't screw anything up.

Here is my finalized shots -

JasonLavoie_KinSlayer_01.jpg

JasonLavoie_KinSlayer_02.jpg

JasonLavoie_KinSlayer_03.jpg

I had a fun time working on this and I think I'd like to work on more items in the future, maybe do a set next time... or at least a more realistic weapon set.

Learned a lot from this experience, thanks again for everyone's feedback, I'll be taking that to the next items.

Steam Workshop Link - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=336011109
  • Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    Nice dude! It turned out pretty sweet! :D

I definitely like the leather wrap thingy ( that is its technical name btw... ;) ) on the blade. Good stuff man!
  • soulstice
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks awesome congrats on finishing jay!

The different variation between materials really make the weapon fun to look at!
  • Dim
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Looking fantastic! Really nailed the materials in the engine!