Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] - Beastmaster - Curse of the Cryptids

Replies

• LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    new deadline is indeed awesome news,
    I was getting worried your awesome set wasn't going to finished in time!

and yeah, a shame for all that great work getting lost in low tex sizes
    i find the poly limits badly balanced on the lycan,
    too much fixed on their original meshes and I'm guessing you're heaving the same problem!
    like on one slot I have loads off tris to spare,
    and then on others I have to take away a lot of extra detail to just hit the limit!

anyways, good luck and let us see some low poly wires!
  • jaydon
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    Randomly clicked this thread, so glad i did. Definitely my favourite set so far.
    Good luck you brilliant bastard.
  • peppi
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks everyone. Turns out I wouldn't have had much of a chance to finish without the extension so that's quite awesome. Fortunately there isn't that much stuff left to do. One tiny problem might be that I had postponed some other things to make room for the original deadline, and now those projects are going to eat up most of my time for this and next week. I'll be on the road for most of next week and I'd like to get the weighting and lod behind me before finishing the textures, which means there probably isn't going to be a lot to show for a while.

As for progress, the first lopo set, uvs and bakes are all done and I've thrown everything into one 2048x2048 texture in order to paint the base diffuse in Mudbox. The plan is to do all the masks in this proxy PSD and then bake the individual textures from there. Looks like the arms will be suffering quite a bit from the 256x128 limit.. hope it's still going to look alright at game res.

WIP:

cryptids_wip04.jpg
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Nice! Can't wait!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Hey dude- just wanted to give you the heads up on this here -

"we’ve just updated the Beastmaster workshop data to be compatible with the latest model changes. Some head and arm items might have to be slightly adjusted to match the new base."

http://blog.dota2.com/2012/11/thanks/

Also- great progress! :D
  • peppi
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks OC! I just had a look - the new base looks a lot nicer than before. I don't think I'll have enough time to implement it, though. Ugh. Will see about that in a week..
  • Naso
    Another two week extension please! I want to see this 100% complete.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I think Peppi can still send it off as is he got his 3 done for the most part, doesn't he?

So we are just waiting on the rest in due time, I think that's what he's trying to get across. Anyway The way you describe your process sounds awesome, I figured their was a way to bake already made textures into another set of uv's I just did it once in my life and I don't know how to do it again, I have an idea but I doubt it would work.

Smart man! :) you got my brain cooking and contemplating, It's probably not even that hard.

Oh yea love the textures from what I can see anyway, that platypus looks awesome.
    I say if you got your 3 don't stress it, send those off and do the rest when you can.
    Your already set for the comp, I was going to do only 3 but felt if 1 or 2 get rejected I could have backups. You don't got that problem. :)
  • peppi
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Well nevermind.. I would have liked to go through all the ZTools and adjust&rebake them for the new base, but instead I just bent the lopo stuff into place in order to save time. Not ideal but it works alright. One little downer is that the new base also has a modified arm texture that sort of interferes with the octos, maybe I'll turn them pink or something.

Almost done with the skinning.. I should probably do some test imports and make sure things work since I'm gonna have to pause this until Friday.

ARF! ARF!

cryptids_wip05.jpg
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thats fantastic! I really hope you finish this man, its sick :D
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    awesome model man =]
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Please finish! This is my favorite set!!

From ANY GAME EVER!!!!

��
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    Ah, that sucks that they changed the model while you've already done all the modeling,
    fingerscrossed you'll finish in time!
    Keep up the awesome work!
  • Futashia
    even if you don't meet the deadline, i'm sure this set will make it into the store as a regular submission, so win-win for you anyways, incredible job on the set!
  • peppi
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Hm. Does anyone know how to import creatures properly? I have the weapon models working in the game as a test so things appear to be working in general. When I try to import the bird, though, it has its wings linked to Beastmaster's arms in the preview window. Also, when I replace the game's bird files with those generated by the import it'll be visible and have the correct size/position in game but won't animate. I'm getting the same issue when im-/exporting the original FBX file from Max, by the way. Pointers of any kind would be much appreciated.
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I haven't tried with creatures yet but here's a few pointers when exporting from max that got it to work for me.

Always give a new name (output file name) to your items as it won't compile properly if you overwrite existing files.
    OR clean this path dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\beastmaster

Export in SMD (export selected with mesh and bones from skin modifier)

http://www.wunderboy.org/3dapps.php

Hope this helps!
  • Frankie
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Models are looking great, I hope you manage to get it imported!
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Doesn't help if you're on max 2013 but everyone seems to be having way less problems with the SMD exporter.

http://www.wunderboy.org/3dapps.php
  • RyanAxel
    ^^ JacqueChoi thanks for the link. Helped me out :)
  • cakeypigdog
    Hi Peppi. This by far my favourite entry. How is it coming along, are we going to see it done for the comp? LOVE what you have done here, so fun and so well executed! SKILLZ!
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    Agreed, your skills exist on a separate plane. Awesome.
  • peppi
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Just submitted some stuff. What a night. The collection is here - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=111492496

I did a fancy Marmoset render because I couldn't figure out how to get the highest texture res in the game client.

cryptids_all_1600.jpg

Ingame shots for comparison:

ingametest.jpg

Now here's the thing. There are 7 items in all of which two will probably not work - the creatures did go through the compiler, but there's not much to preview in the submission window because they seem to be treated as costume parts on BM's skeleton. If I put the generated files into the game they won't animate. Tvidotto was kind enough to tell me of some external tools that people used to work with (before the built-in compiler) but since I never did anything with Source and time was running short I couldn't really check out that workflow. I guess in the worst case the creatures will get kicked out of the set, BUT in case anyone at Valve would like to look into the issue, I'll be more than happy to provide the FBXes and all that. :)

It's 05:30am here. 29 minutes until the deadline. Thanks everyone for your nice comments, especially Ivo for posting that little remark on fb a few hours ago. I was quite close to giving up not very long ago :)

Anyhow. Off to bed!
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    H'amazing dude!!!

H'absolutely H'amazing.

Flying Palatypus and Octopus arms own all.
  • Pemaktitkis
    Offline / Send Message
    Pemaktitkis polycounter lvl 7
    i just wanted to thank you for making this incredible set instead of your previous feline lycan idea
    and i rly hope everything will be ok with these creatures - they re so beautiful and unique!
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    The peppster pulls it off :) nice quality work, love it, hope to see it in-game.

So glad you finished It.
  • PoPcorn
    I'm really glad you finished this. I was a little worried it wouldn't get done.

Congrats.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Down to the wire!

Congratulations, it's absolutely amazing.
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
  • Naso
    Congrats dude, if it's already submitted to the workshop, what's stopping people from just editing textures or what not for later?
  • PoPcorn
    I don't think you can edit a file once its been submitted?
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah you can, it keeps a log though so people can see when it's been updated.
  • cakeypigdog
    You did it! So glad peppi, absolutely stellar work on this. I am sure the chaps at valve will sort out the animal issues with you. Thecsloth turnedcout great!
    Well done again, so creative!
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    ah, you finished it, great work!
    defenetly a win!
    the beasts and the octopus glove especially look awesome!
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! see, me believing in you made you finish this thing :P:P proud of you man!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    awesome! i was worried for you!

btw, add me on steam (t_vidotto) and we can talk about getting your models in game, if you still want to work on then =]
  • HntrLuc
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    This came out great! Glad to see you finished in time, the set looks really nice ingame!
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Happy to see this finished. Go go, Peppi!
  • peppi
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Many thanks, folks. I found out what was wrong with the creatures not animating ingame - turns out the animations are stored inside the mdl files and need to be recompiled for the new beast/bird files. I've extracted the anims and am trying to get them working with my models. Thiago did a quick test export yesterday so I know that it works in theory (thanks man!), although it looks like I'm gonna have to redo the weights. Anyhow, this was a great learning experience, both in Dota and ZBrush. I'm down for more workshop items.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Really nice job, glad you were able to finish! :D
  • Kaho
    What happened to this awesome set? I think Valve just needs you to change the cleavers and the color of the boar, so that they can add this ingame.. Hope to see this ingame soon, I'll keep my hopes up. :)
  • peppi
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Well the main problem with this set (apart from the fact that the individual pieces could have used a few more design iterations) is that it turns Beastmaster into someone else. I totally misread the brief there. The costume as a whole doesn't belong into the Dota world and swapping 1-2 items won't change that. To be honest I'm still much happier with the cleavers than other things like the belt or cap.. Anyhow. I'd rather come up with an entirely new costume that actually blends with the character, or perhaps take the two creatures (which have been my main motivation here) and submit them on their own, but I won't have time for either option in the near future. So, realistically speaking, this project is dead I'm afraid. Still a few valuable lessons learned though. Thanks again for all the lovely feedback folks :)