Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop #4 - Grimm_Wrecking

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
Decided to pick this up, I've been wanting to do it for a while now, just never got around to it.

Its still rough and I've only inset about 1/2 the screws; I have yet to add thickness to the forward part of the stock. Decided to wait because of the differences from side to side.

I modeled the bullet to scale so that I could use it as a marker for the scale of the rest of the gun.

ai_338_luapa_mag_WiP_001_s.jpg

I'm capturing the entire process (with hotkey capture) so hopefully I'll be able to get some feedback on ways to improve my workflow, and maybe even help someone out :thumbup:

If anyone spots something off, let me know and I'll address it.
Thanks for any C&C :poly136:

Replies

• kyle.rau
    Offline / Send Message
    kyle.rau polycounter lvl 8
    your epic wires on that bullet shell have inspired me to attempt it
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    wow its cool that u model the text in.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks guys.

Kyle. I know you've already dove into it, and your model looks great.

I've had kind of a hiatus with work/life etc. Should be digging back into this relatively soon.

The best thing I can recommend if your trying to make an air tight mesh with embossed text if you're actually going to used modeled text, is to actually model it vs. the make text function. That way you control the poly distribution and can quad it out. It makes it much much easier to deal with. It takes a while, but the results are fun. Doing it though will have you learning the threshold for poly collapse with smooth quickly though. :D