Home Dota 2

Polycount Community Chest Event

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, coming up with the final design is going to be fun. Thanks for the input ! I also have to check to which extent I can actually make things blend with her skin without a bad seam showing, so this will impact the final design as well. I am excited :)
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    pJuo1SM.jpg

i was poking through some old concepts and found jack the ripper pudge. borrowed some shapes from his flick knife for some giant switch blade action. very bloodborne. not planning on having it animated, probably gonna have his offhand folded, or have styles for each hand

colours are slowly approaching antimage territory, purple is not a creative colour
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BqjkXnk.png

Hey guys, this is the sniper idea that I will do with Vikko. I was researching alot of Moebius e Amano arts, and wanted to give Sniper a fresh look. I will give some beard variations but the rest I think it's final. I would love to see come critiques to check if I'm on the right path!
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
    ike_ike wrote: »
    i was poking through some old concepts and found jack the ripper pudge. borrowed some shapes from his flick knife for some giant switch blade action. very bloodborne. not planning on having it animated, probably gonna have his offhand folded, or have styles for each hand

great designe of set. looks some casual and brutal) you will add details to this concept?
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys! I would be very pleased to receive this topic specific information about the use of the brand "polycount" in concepts of couriers, wards, huds and the like!

many people know that in this polycount chest we want to add the appropriate polycount courier, which in its concept uses the brand of polycount. But we dont know opinions of founders of the forum aboute our idea. For this reason, I would like to know what thinks the administration on this issue? Does it allow us to use their brand in the concept of a courier?
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and @MadShock if you have any info for me aboute our courier-submission please write to me personally.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Pior: I'm really loving all the exploration with this one and its a very fresh design. I like pretty much all the heads other than the ones you chose to do the color variations of. Maybe make a WR portrait pack like Lina's with all the leftover ones ;) Can't wait to see more!
    Ike: Another fresh original design. I like the hair more than the hat you had, but I still feel like it doesn't fit the set.
    Mango: Cool looking gun!

I hope to post some WIPs soon, just waiting on the final concept :)
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
    i apologise for my absence in the last week and a half. I made some trips here and there and had little time for any progress. However i managed to power some render to textures today and i plan on starting texture works for my set tomorrow. wish me luck.
    as for what has been going on here in the last few days... i am speechless as usual. ike`s set looks really fitting for an "non magic wielder" such as andymage, and magnohusein`s sniper set looks like it`s straight from a medieval themed futuristic movie. great works as usual.

i feel..... jealous to say the least.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @pior, cool idea, very unique and I think it could work well. Probably just the colors you used but it might also be the helmets. She's morphing a bit too much towards PA I think. Less helmet and more red hair is better imo.

@ike, looking really good. The brown is a nice change from his standard sets (2 in store do have brown). You've lost a lot of his orange skin tone covering the arms though. Maybe you can pull some of that into the coat for the variety you want. Possibly some patches/badges/stripes or buttons?

@Magno, don't know what Moebius e Amano means but he's looking pretty cool.

I know I know, not many crits there but you guys are good.

Quick bake and in game rig test on the scimitar:
    scimitar_rigtest.jpg
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    @Pior I do like your idea with the design, and I think the execution is interesting. But to me it feels a bit like you turned her into/ fused her with a bug instead of giving her a bug inspired armor. I think you should perhaps go a bit easier on the organic parts, or perhaps add some cloth inlay to show it's not all just bug. I do really enjoy the shapes though, and I like that you made her a bit beefier while still maintinging some of her dynamic vibe.

I dunno I just thought I'd give my two cents :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Baddcog, valid points. Insane, I totally agree - none of that is final, I am only now moving on to the next phase which is all about comparing it to the original default set. Remembering to use clothing is a good point - I'll probably use mostly leather ... but you just gave me another cool idea that I need to try now :)

Badd, Moebius is probably one of the greatest comic book artists who ever lived, and Yoshitaka Amano did all the early character design work on a little game series you probably heard of ;) Be ready to get your mind blown !
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol OK, I did a quick google search and got a bunch of random images. Adding character art to it gave better results. Is it Yoshitake Amano? Of Final Fantasy?
  • pior
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are my art gods <3
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Worked all day on the Naga set I'm doing with FudgieWudgie. Wrapped up the sculpt and LOD0 + bakes.

DE1He4p.jpg

Unfortunately we had to trade the bracers for the shoulder cloak and armor. Naga has a single slot for all of her armor, and it was already really tough to get the current models under 1100 tris. If we had a separate arms or shoulder slot, we could definitely have both, but with a single slot there is no way.
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    Really fantastic naga set! Great job!
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just thought I'd post the start of our concept. I am working with Toasty and Pancreas art on this set. We are all a little busy with work at the moment, but we should be able to start going full speed ahead after next week or so.
    WIP_08_zpsb8ea543a.jpg
  • Vovosunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    @PoPcorn: OMG. YES PLEASE! Genious.
    @Pior: I have to agree with others, a bit too hard on the super bug fusion. Well they did rename her WindRANGER... Reminds me of the Power Ranger enemies XD
    Amano and Moebius are both great but I feel Amano's work is a bit too monotonous. Too much gray and washed out colors without impact (thought that is mostly the fault of traditional art techniques he uses...). And those faces... ctrl+c ctrl+v...
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    who do i have to sleep with to join the competition and what the deadline?

maybe i should read the start post first. will do now, here have a dynameshed wip

tidehunter_dyna1.jpg

edit #1: ok, a bit smarter now, deadline - check, team - no check

its me alone atm, dont know maybe someone wants to join later on when i post some concepts.

Coyo.Te - Modeling, concepting, dunno, everything except particles and animation i guess.

Workshop Link
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Popcorn, that is pretty awesome. What are you planning for the staff? I hope you get a bit more creative than just a giant cactus ;)
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://i.imgur.com/fauO3Mo.gifv some scilpt progress. i will resize small elements and idk what is better: buttons or zipper lock? what you think?
  • Hunter-Killer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter-Killer polycounter lvl 4
    @SeeingTrianagles - That WindRanger set is lovely, I do agree with the adjustments Shock has made, just makes it all pop a bit better.
    @Shock - Lion set is coming along great, feel the brown colour may need to be something a bit more eye catching but the silhouette is seeming spot on!
    @ike_ike - Interesting and unique design for Anti Mage, look forward to seeing it modelled!
    @Pior - Loving your style, definitely something different to the usual WR stuff!

Some work in progress of the Techies ward am creating with Square (concept) and Hudston (animation)
    Completed the bakes and the base colour, now going to do a bit of manual painting and such to improve on the texture. Let us know if you have any feedback, thanks!

wphoC4f.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    doing some live action wip of the earth spirit tonight. We decided to do some battle wear, so diong detial pass, and some other stuff tonight.

http://www.twitch.tv/kite212
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks HK ! This ward is looking perfect so far, so fitting !
    I was about to comment about the shading artifacts at the top of the dynamite sticks ... but these are probably due to the preview shader not expecting the kind of normals that Dota2 uses. If the issue persists ingame, a Handplane conversion should be able to take care of it.

Coyote : it's actually not a competition :) But the deadline is April 15th.
  • hayes87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, heres some small progress on courier im doing with Darkyo and Jayk.
    WIP anims for the ground, still need to work on the idle, death and do the idle rare.
    4TmVaAs.gif7Cd4UEr.gif
    nYFmjsN.gif
  • Hunter-Killer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pior - Somehow when reopening the Marmoset scene it had removed the normals and I hadn't noticed, rookie mistake! Updated the screenshot, thanks for pointing that out! (Still need to do the texture masks)

@hayes87 - Sooo jiggly! The animations are amazing and it's super cute, can see this going down well with the community!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So added some battle wear, need to figure out a design for the back crest, and the do the weapon

bMt1sZ5.png
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    well played hayes! :)
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @hayes87 dat animations! to be honest never would have thought that your courier will be so cool and lively look! great job. You have breathed new life into it and gave him the image)
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    ^ second this, huge works on the animations, cant wait to see the rest :D
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @Kite, deeper scratches and change the shapes of scratches, some parts being scratched by small swords, and some being slashed by an axe.

@Hunter-Killer, Looking good! But the metal seems kind of dull, I think you should give the metal a warmer or cooler color. Also I think the wooden post should be darker for more contrast.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Wow some fantastic works in here already!

@Belkun: Is there absolutely no way you can add some bracers at all? I really feel like it would just complete the look even if they weren't that extravagant. That aside the bakes/colours look awesome so far.

@Hunter-Killer: looking great so far, I think I can guess what the death anim might be ;)

@Pior: Interested to see how your "Kamen Rider WR" comes on. I think this is my favourite head: 2fyS7W1.jpg some of your others maybe look a bit too futuristic I think even though it is based on an insect.

@Hayes: Nice Rubick courier, love those anims.

@kite: I agree with Ghost, your scratches appear to be too uniform at the moment. Try varying the depth and width of them.

My bakes are completed, onto NobleBatterfly for texturing now and to face Storm Spirits rigging. I'm also have some trouble with normal seams down the mirrored edge :( Can't really work out why it is.

BoudjUA.jpg
  • teabiscuit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teabiscuit polycounter lvl 3
    The animation on the rubick slug are so cute! You guys managed to capture the feeling of rubick with the goopy, squishy animations and design. Definitely hard to do without the use of particle effects dribbling around.

So much good stuff going on in this thread - The cactus furion is pretty exciting too, as are the windrunner things. ^_^
  • SeeingTriangles
    Shock: thanks again for the suggestion, I hope I'll get more of your magic in the future :D also thanks for the spreadsheets. I love the idea of using the same thumbnail layout. It would be awesome to see pages of submissions with the same polycount contest thumbnail layout :) I see that some of us are close to completion with our sets, so maybe we should decide on the thumbnail layout soon.
    Dilanka: thanks for the feedbacks there are extra folds at the top of the cloak, those folds don't go far below. The cloak might look wrong from that angle, there's a little more that got covered. I'll try your suggestion on the leaves, sadly I can only do that to the leaves on the bow because the leaves on the quiver and the two hairstyles use the same leaf to save UV space.
    pior: bug themed set is a really unique idea. It might be hard to make it fit WR, but it's really interesting to see a strange and unusual theme on WR, so I'm really interested to see the final version of your set. I love the idea of using wings for her cape :) is the wings gonna be ok with the default cape animation? I hope you will choose the head variation that won't cover her face, IMO WR has a lovely face and it's a pity if her face is covered :) the one that covers her eyes look a bit futuristic/sci-fi, but maybe that's just me.
    kite212: the rocks don't seem quite rock-like. They look kinda strange. Anuxi posted a vid of her sculpting rock a while ago, maybe it could be of help to make the rocks look even better
    bounchfx: holy hell you are really fast. I need to speed up. That ET set is looking great :)
    Belkun: I agree with MdK on the bracer. The armor she has is quite bulky, so her bare hands look kinda off. It would be great if you could add bracers for her.
    MdK: did you bake normal before or after welding? try welding it, soften the edges, unlock the normals if you have to, then bake normal map. It usually works for me.
    hayes87: that courier is so cute :) the animation is really great too. I'm really looking forward to seeing it in-game.
    A side question: let's say A and B collab and created an item together, submitted it to the workshop with both names as authors. For some reasons A doesn't what that item to show on A's workshop while B wants that same items to show on B's workshop. Is it possible for A to hide that item in his own workshop page while still publicly visible in B's workshop page?
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @hayes87 that looks so great!
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have two options in flying form.
    1) wings Da Vinci
    2) jetpack

what do you say? which option would suit more? maybe someone have ideas that we can discuss) just as I was thinking about the PLEXUS cloud.

KKSxu1H.jpg
    m1icRmS.jpg
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    @mdk clan and nice! if u cant rig the bracer - throw it away and make something other.
    @downlimit i think jetpacks do not rly fit into doto universe :)
    @seeingtriangles haha :) sure, if u even need me - ur welcome!
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Shock wrote: »
    @downlimit i think jetpacks do not rly fit into doto universe :)

I'm not sure :)
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
  • blossomalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! here's some progress on our CM for the polychest :)
    Sculpt:
    yyjjOhQ.jpg?1
    Colour proposal in PS:
    nglAcG5.jpg?1
    And staff, pretty much done:
    31VDYz5.jpg?1
    fZrMI5g.jpg?1
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @Blossomex
    I think the texture space is messed up, its too dense for the handle and focus of the staff ( the tip ) is too low res. Its either that or its just not detailed or sharpened enough. The sculpts look good.
  • Hunter-Killer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GhostDetector - Am tweaking the texture to better fit with the Techies colour. Will show the updated version once I've added in some more details such as rust and completed the masks, thanks for the feedback!

@Downlimit - While the jetpack is cool, I feel for the model in question to go for the Da Vinci style wings, seems more fitting to me.

@MDK - It's gonna go boom!
    Liking the wizardy style Storm set ya got going on. It's difficult what to suggest to help with the seams without knowing the process but guessing you did all usual such as offsetting the mirrored part on the UV? Hope you get it sorted!

@blossomalex - Really nice sculpt as always, though I can see what GhostDectector is saying, the texture looks really crisp at the base of the staff but the top is a little fuzzy in comparison. Could just be the shots!

----

What idiot thought robots would fit in the Dota-verse?! Oh yeah...

Speaking of which after the ward I'm going to get cracking on with ClockBot, will be looking for an animator and maybe a texture artists to speed up the process. Drop me a message or add on Steam if you're interested n let me know what ya think!

VFQovGN.jpg
  • ShorkGamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    down_limit wrote: »
    I have two options in flying form.
    1) wings Da Vinci
    2) jetpack

what do you say? which option would suit more? maybe someone have ideas that we can discuss) just as I was thinking about the PLEXUS cloud.

KKSxu1H.jpg
    m1icRmS.jpg
    DA VINCI! We are the dota 2 da vincis we are the tinkers of dotka 2 there would be no good item without us. :DDD
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Jetpacks are cooler :thumbup:
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys ,I would like to join in on the chest event/comp thingy :)

I and Square are going to make a wich doctor set with a vodoo theme .
    Square made the concept , I will do the rest :)

mwDnZ3G.jpg

my polycount thread : http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120067
    workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198026621056/myworkshopfiles/

square polycount thread : http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125211
    workshop link:http://steamcommunity.com/id/GRND_CTRL/

ty
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer wrote: »
    we are the tinkers of dotka 2

Tinker would build a jet pack :poly124:
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Sick witch doctor!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok redid wear on parts I could, I did some more stuff on the rocks, but not much, because in the end I want them to be more like crystals than actual rocks.
    e1p6khV.png
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hunter-Killer looks good. but imo u need to fond any steam-punk stylized heads for reference)