Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Walk Cycles feedback

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Connecta polycounter lvl 7
Hello! I've been struggling with Walk cycles for quite a while now - so I've tried to do as many as possible to learn lately.
These are the most recent ones and I wanted to see if ya'll have any feedback to give on them or generally on doing walks.

(They're pretty standard, so don't get your hopes up^^)

The transitions were made with the Trax Editor - so don't mind if they are weird.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHJk6D9EHI8[/ame]

http://syncsketch.com/playground/8fd21eb9cb464fd7aae998d2ace4a59a#27381

Thanks!

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    These are pretty good. But you can push the poses more. especially that middle cycle. the creep. I did some draw overs. it looks like your shoulders are going in the opposite direction. like when the left foot is forward, you have the left shoulder forward. that should be the opposite. and you dont have much rotation in them on that creep. just push it more, i think. That whole cycle also feels a bit off balance. like his body is way forward compared to his feet. really, all the cycles could probably be pushed back a touch.

I also think you have your apex too late in all the cycles. The hips highest point in each one is a frame or two after the foot plants, but really, when walking, the hips highest point is when the foot is directly under the pelvis, leg straight. the pelvis is already coming down when the foot plants. with the sneak, it makes sense to have it a bit later, but not as late as you have it. the pelvis should already be coming down by the time the foot plants. you can also mix up the timing a bit so that when he lifts that back foot, the pelvis drops a bit quicker, just to get it more uneven timing. a more interesting look.

Great work so far though. keep at it! I dont look at these and see struggle.
  • MattiasG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattiasG polycounter lvl 8
    One thing that is a easy fix that I think would give more contract with the ground is to look over the foots one more time. Just before they hit the ground they are almost flat in some of the walks. Put the heel down first then the rest of the foot. A litle trick is to tilt the whole foot, just a litle before it lands on the ground ( that is a small rotate in Z, if z is the direction the toe is poiting ). It will give to foot a litle "smack" to the ground :)

(Sorry if my english maybe is confusing, but if you dont understaind what I mean, tell me and I will upload a picture :)
  • Connecta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, slipsius and MattiasG!

I will try to fix the issues you both mentioned, however, slipsius, I'm not sure that the highest point in a walk is when the foot is right below the pelvis (at least on the reference I've watched for the cycles)

Though mine seems to be a bit off regardless:)

O9X05sJ.jpg
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Ah, that could be your reference, then. A typical walk, you don't push up with your toes like that. your foot rolls off the ball as your body comes down to reach/brace for the next step. Even in that picture, that front foot will still need to kick out more, dropping the head back down, since there is no way he`ll keep up on his toes like that until the front foot touches.

That pic does seem old though. get up and walk yourself. do you push off with your toe to make your head go higher? when i try to mimic it, it feels like im trying to skip, rather than walk.

Do you have a video of the reference? Hard to tell based on a pic.
  • Connecta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's take from 'endlessreference's youtube;
    This dude:)

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq9A5FD8G5w[/ame]
  • chacha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Out of curiosity, are you using the HumanIK to animate or working without it? Another question, are you blocking first before refining the individual poses?
  • Connecta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, Chacha:) No, I'm not using the HumanIK. I go at it in a layered way of animation, so I start with the root then move to the legs, the feet and then working my way up from the root and animating the rest in the same way.