Home Unreal Engine

Next generation video-games characters features?

Hi folks

I'm going to do the model of a character that have to be rendered in UDK with directx11 for my dissertation. I'd like to set up the model with the features that the next generation videogames (ps4 and xbox1)are able tu support in terms of triangles count, texture size and number of uv layouts, but actually I didn't manage to find this kind of information. Does anyone know either anything about it or where to find this kind of information?

thanks in advance! :-)

Replies

• Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156273-xbox-720-vs-ps4-vs-pc-how-the-hardware-specs-compare

There aren't any hard specs for that right now, but you can get some idea from the hardware level.
    Nextgen console = about current to last year's high end PC graphics settings.
    In comparison to a modern PC, you can probably guess how the Xbox One and PS4 compare. There’s no direct comparison for the 8-core Jaguar CPU — AMD’s own parts based on the Jaguar core, Kabini and Temash, are quad-core parts destined for ultrathins and tablets. From leaked benchmarks, the Jaguar core is around 10% faster than its predecessor (Bobcat). A dual-core Brazos (Bobcat core) about 10 times slower than the latest Ivy Bridge parts, in a very naive comparison. So, all in all, an 8-core Jaguar might manage about half the performance of a current-gen Core i7. The GPU comparison is easier: The Radeon 7790 is a $150 card.

There will likely be better performance than an equally speced windows PC, due to not having to deal with the general purpose operating system overhead, but they're still less capable than the PC's which will be out then.

So for polycount stuffs, you can easily guess that they'll be able to push a few million on screen at once, with characters from 10k(shooter mook)-200k(LOD-0 for a car or a 1v1 fighter with bland environments) depending on genre.

for ref Polycount Wiki on Polycounts

So while the upcoming consoles have 6x the raw processing power of current gen stuff, that won't directly translate to 6x the polys, as you get into stuff like more complex lighting models, environmental effects, etc.

Also this should likely be put more in General Discussion than the UDK forum specifically. :)
  • mecons
    I suppose the realism then will be given more by the new rendering techniques then by the high poly meshes, even because 40K triangles are jet close enough to obtain a good realistic shape with a proper tesselation. Anyway Do you know where to take information about the polygon count for cinematic character? I'd like to make a comparision.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Cinematic as in pre-rendered movies for big budget studios?
    Construction of the Robots
    ILM created a total of 60,217 vehicle parts and over 12.5 million polygons for all of the 14 robots that were included in the movie. All in all, ILM created 450 shots for the film with Digital Domain supplying another 95, which included the Nokia robot, the Mountain Dew machine, Xbox 360, as well as flashbacks and desert sequences. Digital Domain was acquired by Michael Bay back in 2006.

Even though Barricade is one of the smaller-sized robots, he still possessed an impressive arsenal in terms of geometric pieces (3,236), polygons (644,528), and texture maps (200).

The most complex robot of them all is Optimus Prime with 10,108 pieces of geometry, and 1,830,898 polygons. Prime’s face alone has 200 moving parts with 30 facial controls. An animator has the chance to move any piece. If one were to lay all of the pieces in a straight line, it would total to 6,070 feet in length.

The most complex Decepticon is Blackout with 7,742 geometric pieces, and 1,426,781 polygons. This is in stark contrast to the most simplistic robot Frenzy, who has 871 geometric pieces and 233,178 polygons.

Two Megatrons were created for the movie. One is a 40-foot tall robot that served as the frozen version and the other one is the 35-foot tall moving version at 433,949 polygons, 2,411 pieces of geometry.

That's a wee bit old, and that may be the animation model count rather than the sub-d render model count.. but really, you could always write to ILM and ask, if its an educational project you're working on.
    I suppose the realism then will be given more by the new rendering techniques then by the high poly meshes, even because 40K triangles are jet close enough to obtain a good realistic shape with a proper tesselation.

Materials and lighting.. especially lighting, definitely are key to selling the shots.
  • mecons
    It is a massive ammount! I can't believe, how can a modeller to deal with such number of polygons? But as I've seen some wireframe such this one from the cinematic trailer of Assassin's creed black flag http://www.fxguide.com/featured/how-digic-made-the-assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-trailer/ the polygon count seems to be not that high. Maybe the robots are much more expensive in terms of details compared to the humans?

Anyway yes I'm working on my dissertation for a master course, is ILM on polycount?
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Not sure if it's too late but I thought this may be of interest to you. Quantum Dream released the specs for their "The Dark Sorcerer" demo.
    In the current demo, there are about a million polygons in the set, and a little less than a million per character on the screen (i.e. a total of 4 million when the three characters are on the screen). Each character has about 350 MB of textures and about forty different shaders. It’s all managed with Physically Based Shaders, volumetric lights, full HDR, Color Grading, Physical Lenses (particularly useful for chromatic aberrations and 3D depth of field), and translucence for more realistic rendering of the skin.
    http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/06/11/the-dark-sorcerer-a-next-gen-comedy-from-quantic-dream/

For an actual video game, Guerilla Games shared what models they're using for next gen.
    Dv0b5SE.jpg
  • mecons
    0.0 i.... love...you....Jordan. thanks a lot that is what i do need!
  • - Wraith -
    Offline / Send Message
    - Wraith - polycounter lvl 5
    Hi, I'm not sure have all understand :

" ► 6 x 2k x2k textures for character body
    . Plus detail maps and head textures
    . 10ppi, everything authored as 4k "

They say they starting with 4096, and reduce the size of the texture in 2048. ok
    But 6x 2048px for just the body, So we have 6 different ID for the body ?
    They don't specify how many UV layout they use for head too ?
    And is it 6 UV layout in total ? or for example 6 just diffuse map, so the same for spec/gloss/roughness/emissive/opacity/translucency/etc ?

I'm searching this answer about how many UVs Layouts on internet, and i don't find it ... I need your help Polycounters !
    Thanks !