Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Halo BR55 Battle Rifle

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
Hey Guys!
just started this H2-3 style battle rifle, here's a few quick renders of what i have for the high poly so far just thought i'd share :) i know a lot of critiques cant come from the very basic model i have so far but if i post here that means i may actually be motivated to finish it lol

V78Bc.png
rsJ1F.jpg
mxLk5.jpg

Replies

• gsokol
    Cool man.

It looks like some of your scale is just a little off. For instance, your barrels seem a little to thin, the brighter metal piece of the bottom of the stock is too long, the handle looks a little short and fat.

Also, I noticed that a lot of the images of the battle rifle from halo 2/3 have the really flat handle and forend, but it just looks outdated to me. I think beveling, rounding out some of those details will make for a more interesting shape. Kinda like what they did here:

BattleRifle620--article_image.jpg

I think your off to a pretty good start..between this and Computron's battle rifle thread...you guys are making me want to do a pimp halo weapon, haha.
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Gsokol thanks for the critique those are some good things to take care of now rather than have to go back later lol, i also agree with you on the grip, i was thinking about that lastnight, i may make it a finger grip type just because i know it would look better like that, ill fix everything else you suggested also! Thanks!
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys! Small update :)

FJNKg.jpg
    8dkt0.jpg
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    Another Update!

fGAXg.jpg
    vwduu.jpg
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    K heres the HP i think its about time to move onto the low :)

TYSzz.jpg
    NY5Fe.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    dpaynter26 wrote: »
    K heres the HP i think its about time to move onto the low :)

No! Not yet at least, get some bevels and more interesting shapes there.
    Put more detail in there, have some fun with it :)
    Also must of your edges is to sharp and need softening to transfer well into the normal map.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Daniel.

I've been waiting until you stuck or thought you were done to offer my critique.

Just to add to what Stromberg was saying, you sould try and make you edges more consistent, and try and match the width with the material, something I should have done a better job of on my gun. Right now it just looks random.

Now, I know the Halo 3 BR was pretty low detail and things like the handle were pretty much extruded rectangles, but I really recommend you go above and beyond what they had back then. Challenge yourself to make some flowing and organic curves. For my BR, as you can see in my thread, I started with the most organic shapes like the handle and the fornt grip right away because they were the most difficult and would be where people focused their attention. Try and add some of your own improvements to the design and make it more interesting and challenging to make.

This section right here is probably the most interesting section in the actuall in game model:
    xkdvk.png

Your scope mount does not fit the reference, and looks a lot less interesting:

6gmzm.png

Don't be afraid to change the flow of the mesh! right now its like perna said, it looks like you are just extruding boxes. The only way to learn this stuff is to get your hands dirty and try to model the flow of your topology by hand and make mistakes.

You are also seemingly only using one picture for reference, and even worse, only the right side, which does not have any of the asymmetrical details like the bolt, the ammo counter and other details on the top. Seriously, load up Halo 3's theater mode, and take a look at the 3d version, and snap some pics. You can upload them to your computer directly through b.net and it's way better than just Google searching for images because you can see what the modelers where thinking or forms they where trying to hint at much easier in 3D. Reference is crucial, and the better your ref, the better your model.

Also, try switching up your material, play around with the glossiness and specular and get some colored 3 point lighting to show off your forms better, it will help you see what's needed as well. Maybe apply a viewport shader that allows ambient/reflection cube maps.

Perna and some of the other guys offered some nice tips for showing off your models with lighting and backgrounds in my thread if you need some insight.

It's good that you have gotten this far, don't quit! Your almost there. :):thumbup:
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys! Thanks for the awesome critiques, I'll definitely get to work right away! there were a few areas I was having trouble with but after looking through your suggestions I think I've found a few ways around them, hey computron thanks for reminding me of the h3 theater mode now im sitting and thinking to myself "HOW DID YOU FORGET TO DO THAT!!!" lol btw my names daniel ^^ you put david but it's all good, Im definitely gonna get this puppy looking good! Thanks everyone!!! ill post as soon as i get more done! :)

Edit:

It's so great to have such great artists critiquing my work your portfolios have been very inspiring to me since i first viewed them and computrons h4 br is just brainmelting everytime i look at it lol THANKS GUYS!!!!
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooops, sorry bout your name.

If you need help with topology, there's a thread for that stickied in technical talk. (How u model dem shapes)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    This is making me want to re-try my MA5S for Venerance...
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    wow......i actually inspired someone to work on something? :O that's a first, im honored lol

Edit:
    Computron do you know exactly where on halo.xbox.com you can get your h3 screenshots now? it's not updated on b.net anymore

Part of me doesnt want to show this because I feel like i dont really know what im doing and some potential employer or friend who may be able to help me get my art in front of the right people might look at it and be like "UHH NO YOU SUCK!" but at the same time i also think if i show this then show how ive improved from the critiques and it will help me a lot better and if someone were to see it they would see how ive improved lol but anyway, i dont know if these will help and they are somewhat hard to read but here are exploded views of my wireframe the first one is with smooth preview in maya turned on "3 mode" and the second one is without smooth preview

SMOOTHED:
    QSaf7.jpg
    UNSMOOTHED:
    jr3LS.jpg
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a question in there?

When you are uploading your images to the web, use PNG so that we can actually see things like wires.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    This shit seems to be some sort of spam bot blasting the forums. I`m not really sure whats going on. If you click on their name and go to> view all posts you`ll see every post ends with a website url that looks like its getting culled in the actual post. Odd indeed.
  • gsokol
    konstruct wrote: »
    This shit seems to be some sort of spam bot blasting the forums. I`m not really sure whats going on. If you click on their name and go to> view all posts you`ll see every post ends with a website url that looks like its getting culled in the actual post. Odd indeed.

The website url is hidden with image tags...so they are getting website hits every time we load a page. Bastards are getting sneaky.
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    DARN THEM! lol

@Computron here are the pngs

SMOOTHED:
    S7zr9.png
    UNSMOOTHED:
    dCkcJ.png
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    i hope that helps anyone give me more critiques if not just let me know :)
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks perna! yeah i realized when i went to make the triangles and a few other details that my edgeloops were going to make it a nightmare, im gonna remake the stock and get all the details built in before adding the holding edges and such, i wasnt payin attention when i made it, Thanks!
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Guys! Just wanted to let you all know i havent forgotten about this or anything just busy with some other stuff and I have a phone interview for my first job in a few days! :) anyway will update as soon as i get more work done!