Home General Discussion

How not to promote your game

Replies

• Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I am more upset about the awful writing and acting in that promotion :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    My, that's quite the flagerant attempt to hitch their publicity train to the anti-sexism movement. It's tricky to know what to do with cynical business practices like this, but might ultimately be best to just let it die as quickly as possible, denying them their publicity via controversy.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Blaizer wrote: »
    There are more "sexism" out there in other games with female characters pretending to be a man.

Buh? That's not sexism, that's what we like to call 'equality'...
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Payday is a great game, and cheap.

You should ignore this video. There are more "sexism" out there in other games with female characters pretending to be a man.

That's not a thing, man. What some people call "tomboy" I call "being who she wants to be instead of being what she's expected to be."
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    This post kinda directly relates more so to our industry than others, there are other boys club industries for sure (who hasnt been to mechanics garage and seen pin up girls all over the walls) but I find most of these points are more about the social aspect of game devs. obvious disclaimer, not singling anyone out or saying this applies to everyone in the game industry. this is simply based off my own meandering experience. I shall dispence this advice now:

The funny thing is, while I was at united front, the studio was about 1/3 women and we all hung out regularily. I never saw any sexist behaviour from anyone and the studio had a super cool vibe. I think a lot of it comes down to the various horriblly socially uncalibrated people in the game industry. I still dont understand how guys can sit and snicker and be all duuurrhrrrrrr tittes over some cg girls or about some woman behind her back, thats pretty fuckin pathetic and ofcourse its going to make anyone feel horribly uncomfortable, well except social retards......which to be honest there are a lot of in this industry.

The thing with UFG I found is they hired people a lot more based on their personailty and how social they were, there is a reason it has a reputation as a party studio. 99% of the time if guys can somehow manage to be FRIENDLY AND COOL anyone both male and female alike is going to feel a lot more comfortable in the environment around them. but hey we are all guilty of saying some stupid shit as our brain scrambles to come up with something to say.

There are some posts in this and the tropes thread that seem like some people have the mindset of jumping to women's defence because its the "nice guy" thing to do. Thats a sneaky little thing ive seen guys do over and over. they figure if they ACT nice, then they will get girls to side with them and like them. Thats pretty weak, instead of just treating everyone with the same respect regardless of their sex.

My biggest advice for helping fix this problem in this industry for both men and women : Go out. leave your basements/studios, stop being in front of a computer 24/7, go out and actually interact with members of the opposite sex in real life and learn how to actually treat people as normal human beings. anyways, meandering tangent over.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    There are some posts in this and the tropes thread that seem like some people have the mindset of jumping to women's defence because its the "nice guy" thing to do. Thats a sneaky little thing ive seen guys do over and over. they figure if they ACT nice, then they will get girls to side with them and like them. Thats pretty weak, instead of just treating everyone with the same respect regardless of sex.

OT But ever hear of the blog, "nice guys of okcupid"?

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/nice%20guys%20of%20okcupid

Ouhhh! Now I'm so tempted to start a thread. Must.. resist... urge..
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    There are some posts in this and the tropes thread that seem like some people have the mindset of jumping to women's defence because its the "nice guy" thing to do. Thats a sneaky little thing ive seen guys do over and over. they figure if they ACT nice, then they will get girls to side with them and like them. Thats pretty weak, instead of just treating everyone with the same respect regardless of sex.

I see nothing like this here, just a call for equality and not reducing women to objects. I think you're projecting.

(Though I've not really read or posted in the tropes thread, so there might be some relevant posts in there).

Relevant: Here's a video of Jimquisition clearly trying to get laid, and definitely not simply expressing his opinion.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7044-The-Creepy-Cull-of-Female-Protagonists

This boy definitely has alterior motives. Despite being already married.
    Am I doing this right?
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Although i agree with everyone in this thread about how rediculously stupid this video was, here's some possible insight onto why it even came out. Supposedly a part of it was filmed in the studio and it was cut and edited externally and then pitched to Overkill, who then rejected it. Someone then posted the video for their own purposes(CV im not sure why youd be proud of this).

Could be a PR spin to try to get it to slide of, could be legit.

Story -

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-03-26-overkill-denounces-sexist-payday-video?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=european-daily
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Andreas wrote: »
    I see nothing like this here, just a call for equality and not reducing women to objects. I think you're projecting.
    if you don't see the elephant in the room maybe you're an elephant
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17

^ This is a really good mindset to take in general. If literally thousands of women in the industry spoke up in #1reasonwhy, does it really matter if they're 90% or 30% or 1% of the women who work in the industry? If a bunch of individuals are talking about this and you just haven't seen it yourself yet, maybe that's an issue of your perspective.
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Sexualisation of women in a sexualised world is nothing new, children are also being sexualised today. Sex sells, always has and always will and is simply accepted in male dominated industries, why should the gaming industry be any different ?

How many people working in the industry would step up to the mark and speak out, not many because they would be out of a job in a finger snap !!!
  • Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    I have no idea what you guys are talking about. gratuitous sexualization was not the problem, the problem was the things that the women were actually saying - basically admitting they had no idea what was going on which made everything AWWWKARRRRD

they could have easily turned this into something hilarious if the women actually knew what was going on besides the 'contest'
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Well that was uncreative and cringe-worthy. I mean, they might as well have been rummaging about in a bakery for all the good it did in promoting the actual videogame.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message

So you're claiming that I don't believe in what I'm saying at all... for what reason exactly? Other than you're being a troll, of course.

Some people actually believe in stuff, sorry to break it to you.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    You know I thought this shit was worse:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iD0JxmNdM"]Army of TWO? The Devil's Cartel - Double or Nothing - YouTube[/ame]

That was completely, seriously meant as marketing for the game.
  • Mrskullface
    this is how you promote a game!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afAWQ_z1HTM"]RIFT China - Adam Lambert promo trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  • Aigik
    Damn, I must have just missed it. Anyone have another link? Judging my the responses in this thread, I have to see this.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha that lad has more slap on his face than both of the swedish chicks combined. Tragic.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There are more "sexism" out there in other games with female characters pretending to be a man.

:shifty:

The phrase "females pretending to be a man" implies women cannot do everything a man can do, and is WAY more sexist that shoving women in "male" roles. Female gamers are inherently in a "male role" because men are the ones that are suppose to be playing video games by social norms. There's no problem in creating "tomboy" roles in games for female characters, because women can relate to those characters, and is actually a good thing for them.

Telling people what they can't do and restricting what they are socially allowed to do is the worst part of discrimination. It's just as bad as telling a black person they cannot drink from the same drinking fountain, or telling a gay couple that they cannot adopt a kid.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I don't want to derail the thread but since EQ mentioned Snaketakes earlier, has anyone else received any emails from this guy? So far I've had 3 from him advertising his studio and asking whether or not I'd be interested in joining o_O
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I found this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHwelNY4o6A"]DXRacer F Series. See more at DXRacer.net - YouTube[/ame]
    ZacD wrote:
    The phrase "females pretending to be a man" implies women cannot do everything a man can do, and is WAY more sexist that shoving women in "male" roles.

You are being very subjetive man, that phrase does not implies what you said, and you are just taking things out of context and proportions, really.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that's how I understood it too... how did you mean it?

I took it as 'pretending to be a man'> emulating a man> women doing the same things as men= somehow sexist???

Seems pretty cotton dry to me, little chance for a misunderstanding there...
  • gsokol
    I don't want to derail the thread but since EQ mentioned Snaketakes earlier, has anyone else received any emails from this guy? So far I've had 3 from him advertising his studio and asking whether or not I'd be interested in joining o_O

This would be a good read for you in regards to snaketakes.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90183&highlight=snaketakes