Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Developer Kit - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    ok. aparently it works again.
    maybe its something to do with the computer coming from sleep.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    it apparently is an issue with tablet drivers under 64bit systems. i uninstalled mine and speedtree works again.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Wish that was my fix. Wacom's newest driver didn't help me at all. I don't know if it really matters though, I was never intending to use their product, just wanted to know how it worked.
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i shouldnt have installed the update, crashed windows 2 times, and got all corrupt then
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Has anyone gotten UDK running on vista 32? I did get Swarm running on my mac mini running XP64.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    lamont i run it on vista 32 no problems at all just installed and ran, its funny the first day i installed it i opened it, added a cube and it crashed.. i was like "oh boy here we go" but i have not had a single crash since then so i guess it was just a fluke. but ya, i have no prob on v32
  • Pedro Amorim
    divi wrote: »
    it apparently is an issue with tablet drivers under 64bit systems. i uninstalled mine and speedtree works again.

Yeah man! you are right!
    It's the wacom service that is causing the error!
    I had the wacom service running. and speedtree wasnt working.
    I stoped the service and it started working. Crazy
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    well super awesome coder scripter chris has joined on my indie team on my diablotype game and has got point and click movement under control. http://www.moddb.com/members/plus1/videos/udk-movement-3 looks to be pretty promising project!
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    You guys solved the problem! i uninstalled the driver and it worked. I'm running Vista 32 with no other issues. I also reinstalled the new driver and now ST doesn't initialize so it was the newest driver that came out on Oct 20...time to get it into the pipeline.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I would love to see how you guys got that working.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    search for threads by chris2009 on the udk boards maybe he has posted some info on it.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    lamont i run it on vista 32 no problems at all just installed and ran, its funny the first day i installed it i opened it, added a cube and it crashed.. i was like "oh boy here we go" but i have not had a single crash since then so i guess it was just a fluke. but ya, i have no prob on v32
    Yeah? Well it refuses to install on my wifes comp. No biggie though, the Mac is prolly faster anyways. I can't even render a cube on my wifes comp. I'll mess with it again this weekend.
  • BlackulaDZ
    anyone know how I would go about getting a custom weapon ingame and usable?
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    To make a NEW weapon, you need to do scripting along with the model/rigging (and follow some rules like handle bone/naming). If you just want to change the model of the weapon, then you'd still have to go into scripting to change some parameters. (Copy say the link gun to your own classes folder, point the INI to that folder). This is how people usually start with Unreal Weapon mods anyways.

Look in C:\UDK\Development\Src\UTGameContent\Classes\ and find the weapon that's close to what you want, then start modding it.

Here is someone who did the classes mod: http://hyperunreal.blogspot.com/2009/10/custom-weapon-in-unreal-part-1.html
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Postd his on UDK forums but don't expect to see a reply there anytime soon:

This one had me puzzled in UT3 a few months ago:

I want a car with realtime reflections. So, using a SceneCaptureCubemapActor seems natural. Problem is, I can't get the CaptureActor to ignore a specific mesh, the car in this case. If I leave it small, it renders the inside of the car to texture. If I scale the CaptureActor's clipping distance up, it starts to clip stuff around the car (the player for example).

I tried using bOwnerNoSee and stuff that kinda seemed relevant, but didn't get anywhere. Would using Script be a fix, or are there new features since UT3 that can help me?
    Any help appreciated!

Maybe one of the Epic guys around here (Jordan?) might know ?
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    I'm having a problem here:

Whenever I play test my map, or hit "G" on the keyboard, the whole level goes pure black. :(
  • Ben Apuna
    Do you have lights in your map? Have you done a lighting build?
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    oh wait I've fixed it. I messed up some of the postprocess settings. :poly136:
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Xoliul, sorry but you're going to hate my answer. I don't think I've ever used SceneCaptureCubnemapActor. I think they're not that optimized right now so I tend to stay away from them. Sorry :\
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw darn! It's not about optimization for me; I want to try and create a machinima with Unreal and I just need stuff to look as good as possible...
    Could you perhaps explain what I should understand under an object's "owner"? "bOwnerNoSee" sounds like it should do what I want: "this component won't be visible if the view actor is the component's owner". I thought it was just attachment, but I'm not sure I understood "owner" correctly.
  • TychoVII
    Offline / Send Message
    TychoVII polycounter lvl 13
    I'm getting some interesting problems lighting a room with an emissive material on a brush.

Lightmass-Error.jpg

When I enable lightmass in the surface properties, everything ends up black, even when there's another light in the scene. Static meshes (and guns apparently) glow purple.

I tried it in both beta 1 and beta 2. I'm not sure what to do about it. Any ideas?
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    xoliul, I read through UDN and i got the same impression you did. Try playing with it some more and changing the actor's parent, I'll see what I can find out Monday.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    does anyone have problems with cascade in this?
    The layout/menus seem to have subtly swapped around, and I had major problems editing curves - as in, couldnt select and points or move/
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Some items can not be key'ed until a few params have been set or made active. Or you can manually go to the left panel and add a key.
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    I have a question on this here. I didn't find that, OR the udk did nothing. I am looking for the 'tiledscreenshot' command. Has it not been implemented into the udk?! Does anyone know something about that? Is there another similar command to this?

My bad, it is 'tiledshot #'. Works
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    tiledshot is the command
  • elec²ron
    Offline / Send Message
    elec²ron polycounter lvl 12
    I'm new to the udk, need some advice on best modelling practices for a building.

As I have read you cant model like this with open edges that occupy the same space or you get horrible shading errors.

mesh_test.jpg

Should I export with collada as multiple separate objects? If they all have the same pivot it should be easy to snap it all back together in engine then make a prefab.

Or should I model the whole building as one continuous mesh with no open edges like this then use triangulated optimization. Problem with the building being one model is that you would need a very hi res light map for good results.

mesh_test3.jpg

Any advice or links would be great.
  • sneakymcfox
    hey i was just mucking about in UDK and my transform widget came out of line, I've searched everywhere and can't find an answer
    picture: udkscrewup.jpg
  • elec²ron
    Offline / Send Message
    You have the reference coordinate system set to local instead of world.
  • sneakymcfox
    thanks i got it sorted now :)
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    i was trying to get an alpha from world builder into unreal as my height map, but it always seems to come in all skewed or jagged, anyone have a proper pipe line for this?
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    What would be the best approach to doing a cutscene with UDK, especially in regard to animating skeletal meshes? Camera movements are extremely easy to do, but I'm a bit puzzled on how you'd animate something like a driving vehicle.
    Do I animate everything like steering and wheel rotation in one go in Max, and do just the movement in Matinee (sounds very impractical)? Or do I create a few general purpose animations (turn wheels, steer left/right, body sway,...) and build up the total animation in Matinee blending and combining those? That would require making animations you normally wouldn't do for a gameplay vehicle, so I'm not sure if this is the right way.
    Or can you even directly animate a skeletal mesh actor with Matinee and manually key bone positions inside Unreal ?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    we just exported the scne to max and let the animator, animate the assets on set
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    What if you need the root to move around? You'll have those movements in your animation, which doesn't sound very dynamic, I mean, you have to get the initial location relative to the scene exactly right or it's not going to align...
    Also I really wouldn't benefit from animating in Max, since a car isn't so hard to animate anyway.
  • Ben Apuna
    El Electron:

You can have models with open edges in Unreal, no problem.

Best bet for your building would be to divide it up into modular chunks then reassemble it in Unreal. Each chunk can then use a small light map where it's needed.

Rhinokey:

Did you check out this page on UDN? It talks about needing a G16 format image, possibly 16bit data. Another possible problem could be the textures need to be power of 2 + 1 so a 128 x 128 would need to be 129 x 129. I hope that helps I'm really just guessing here as I haven't tried to bring in any external alphas for terrain ever, though I've seen it done.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd rig the car like UED does vehicles, bring out clips (turn left, turn right, stop *body lurch forward). Bring those clips into Matinee and that's it. If you need to move the root around move the root. Don't move it in Max. There is an option in Unreal for root bones moving.

If you know how to build and control animation tree's you can script the whole thing.

If your set is in Max, this is just for non-playable. Just animate the whole thing in Max start to end. Have one long animation clip of the car doing it's thing, then you know it matches with the enviro and all you gotta do is animate the cam. And even that can be animated in Max even with FOV.
  • elec²ron
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    el sometimes you may get flickering sometimes you may not,, a quick fix you can do is on each chunk select the outer border edges and extend them back and flare out a lil that way they will over lap.even doing this the smallest ammount should stop any flickers flickers.jpg here is an example in perspective and in side view where you can see the slight angle on the extruded edges
  • Ben Apuna
    Oh, interesting. I did not know about the flickering issue. There's always something new to learn, thanks :)
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I'm new to the udk, need some advice on best modelling practices for a building.

As I have read you cant model like this with open edges that occupy the same space or you get horrible shading errors.

mesh_test.jpg

Should I export with collada as multiple separate objects? If they all have the same pivot it should be easy to snap it all back together in engine then make a prefab.

Or should I model the whole building as one continuous mesh with no open edges like this then use triangulated optimization. Problem with the building being one model is that you would need a very hi res light map for good results.

mesh_test3.jpg

Any advice or links would be great.

There's no problem with having T junctions in UED as long as they are not in the same mesh. Example: If you collapse everything to a single mesh those T junctions are gonna cause problems. This is bad modeling and should be avoided at any costs whatever the tech you are working with. Best idea would be to model this in modular chunks. Have one tiling mesh for the floor, and other different meshes for the walls. This way you can assemble your building in mulitple different ways and reuse your assets better.

Now if you are working with vertex lighting only (I'm assuming you are not) that's a whole different story...
  • elec²ron
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'm not noticing any flickering edges with this model, mostly just bad shading that must be caused by the t-junctions. Going to export as multiple separate models and re-assemble in the editor.

Next time I will make everything modular and set up the unreal grid in max.

Anyone had a look at the procedural building rules in the new udk? Don't think there are docs yet but it might be usable as it is. Going to have a play around tonight but still not 100% on the editor basics so will probably fail.
    Cool stuff! I'm actually working on something a little like this in UE3 - it might be in a state where you could play with it. Here is a very rough 'getting started':

1) Create a new 'ProcBuilding Ruleset' in some package using the browser
    2) Add 3 rule nodes to the ruleset, Repeat along Z, Repeat along X and then a Mesh node, giving it a static mesh of a window for example. The pivot must be bottom-left corner (min X, min Z) and the Y axis should point out of the window.
    3) Place a 'ProcBuilding' volume in your map like you would any other volume type.
    4) Go into the ProcBuilding properties and assign the ruleset you just made as the Ruleset setting

It also creates a very low-LOD version of the building, which is just the volume geometry, and uses render-to-texture for the faces (so it is just a couple of sections).

As I say, we are still very much working on this system, but once we feel it is ready for real applications we will be writing UDN docs etc for it.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Tycho, not sure if anyone touched on your issue, but you need to enable a setting in the properties of your static mesh in order for it to light the scene:

StaticMeshActor > Static Mesh Component > Lightmass > Lightmass Settings > Use Emissive For Static Lighting
  • Tom Ellis
    Does anyone know if the UDK can be installed alongside an existing UT3/UE3 install without problem?

I've got the UE3 that shipped with Unreal Tournament installed and I wasn't sure if they shared/referenced folders that would be used by UDK.

From what I can see there are some slight differences with the UDK download to the previous UE3 build that shipped with the games, so I would like a fresh install to start playing with.

Or am I incorrect and the UDK is identical?

Thanks
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    I have both installed, no problem. Sharing UT3's resources into UDk could be a bit more of a hassle, confliting content, 10gb of stuff to transfer, etc...
  • Tom Ellis
    Nice one Xoliul thanks for the quick reply.

So they work completely independently? For example an old project I worked on in UE3 isn't going to show up in UDK?

And are they at all different? I see the Content Browser has some differences but I'm not sure if anything else differs.

Thanks again
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    UDK doesn't use your My Games/Unreal Tournament 3/... folder. It just looks for content in its own install directory as far as I know.

And I can type a big list of stuff that's different, but yes, they are quite different. Different enough to make you want to use it badly!
  • Tom Ellis
    Awesome thank you.

It does have a lot of appeal to it, when I found the UnrealEd after installing UT3 for the first time... I was like 'ooooh awesome I want to make some custom maps' whereas when I saw the UDK announcement and video, I was like 'oooooh awesome I want to make games'.

Looking forward to checking it out.

Thanks again for the reply.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    UDK is completely separate from UT3 creationtwentytwo, and is a newer version of the engine, with more features than UT3 has. You can have the two installed side-by-side in the same directory :) Opening content from an older version of the engine may work (I havent tried), but i'm not saying it will be flawless.
  • Tom Ellis
    Many thanks Moose,

It's great to know they can be installed and not interfere. I have no plans to open projects from one in the other, I just know UnrealEd is real picky about file structures/locations and I didn't want to add to this by sticking a bunch more Unreal stuff in places if it would cause all kinds of problems.

Downloading now!

Along with the amazing 3DBuzz videos that just got posted, it's Unreal (sorry, had to) that you people are willing to put this out for free, I can only imagine what some companies would charge for that amount of training of that quality.