Home Technical Talk

Changing vertex value ( x and y) in a very specific way

Kyle_butler
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Kyle_butler polycounter lvl 11
Hi, guys.
I'm currently working with a in-house engine that requires to create a polygon to create invisible walls while playing real time.
The problem is, that in order for this invisible wall to work, the X and Y values of the bottom vertex should never be the same of the x and y value of the top vertex. And the top face should always be smaller than the bottom face.

An example on the image:
sensor_zpsvs7bzcd9.jpg

It is a no brainer when dealing with simple shapes, as a cube, but when we start to add more vertexes it can get a quite confusing.
Currently, I'm adjusting then by hand, but there must be a faster way.

Take a look:
poly2_zps26llv5lc.jpg

On the screen Left one (red) was an attempt to just select the bottom face and scale it. As you can se, the vertex behave erradicaly. In comparison, the green one is the correct way, the one the engine recognizes.

is there any quick way of getting a vertex configuration of the green polygon? Is scripting the way to go?

Replies

• RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    You didn't say what package you're using to model this collision geometry, but if it supports Inset and also Bridge then you should be set.
    Clone the floor geometry, use Inset on it, delete the outer polygons (select one outer edge, loop selection, convert selection to polygons, delete) so you have the smaller version only, move it up and Bridge it with the original floor.

You might need to flip some polygons in one or more steps depending on the engine requirements for normal directions.
  • Kyle_butler
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyle_butler polycounter lvl 11
    Kryzon!!! Thanks you! So simple, and yet so effective. I'm using 3ds max, so it fits perfectly in the workflow. Thank you! =)