Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• alexdubbeat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexdubbeat polycounter lvl 8
    Shinigami wrote: »
    is someone familiar with a car creation with splines?

What do you want to know? :)
  • remek4x4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!
    I would like to make an egg carton and I don't really know how to make it nicely curved. So where do I start and how do I move forward with the model?
    (Using Blender)

NyV7cp1.png
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerry_Royals polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, modeling a bottle cap. I've been wrestling with this for awhile. The turbo smooth is giving me unwanted smoothing results. Is it because I'm asking it to smooth a 'star'? Where there are 5 edges converging to one point?

I can see the skewed quad. I'm trying to think of a different way of approaching this.

My reference images: http://i.imgur.com/xfQzvI3.jpg

rQcrKlJ.jpg

Edit: I figured it out. Just had to get turbosmooth working correctly and smoothing groups, thx! :P
  • Sobern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm modeling a torii gate and need to expand the pillars that are slightly slanted.

Her are pictures :
    Before : yWaGQPh.jpg
    After : FsjfEv1.jpg

I want the selection from which I am extruding to follow the same angle as the pillar (green arrow) and not go straight down (red arrow), i've tried using splines, changing the reference coordinate system and the pivot point but nothing of what I tried works.

Please help! :)
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    That's easy, just model the pillar straight and then use a lattice/FFD modifier to slant them.
    It would be easier for you if you separated the horizontal beams from the pillar as well. I pretty much always try to build my highpoly objects as they would be in reality so if something's separate on the real thing it should be modeled separately as well. Separating these beams would also simplify the process of adding support loops down the line as well as look more realistic.
  • PolyGear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, I could use some help finding out how something like this was made. I think it is done in Zbrush ? if so, are there any tutorials that can teach me the tools needed to do similar things ?

heavy_structural_Parts_01.jpg?format=1500w

modo mesh fusion ?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjzfhbW2hNY[/ame]
  • Slayer0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I've been banging my head against this for a while now and I'm sure it's something simple I'm just forgetting or not really seeing, but I'm not sure how to get the exact details for this spear from Dark Souls shown here:
    FDEpAbH.jpg

Specifically this part:
    jsur47Q.jpg

I've made some attempts at doing a hi-poly for my own practice, and I can get the shape down, but getting the faces on the lower part flat, but also with the curved inset is just...beyond me. Here's what I've tried:
    7b0ycLw.pngIhtC7MT.png
    cyXpGJB.png

I've made an OBJ of the file as well, in case anyone wants to take a look. Critique is welcome since I feel very lost right now.
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    I've made some attempts at doing a hi-poly for my own practice, and I can get the shape down, but getting the faces on the lower part flat, but also with the curved inset is just...beyond me. Here's what I've tried:
    7b0ycLw.pngIhtC7MT.png
    could not be more simple? harden your edges with bevels or control loops, then use a regularize script tool inside of Max.

1429390097-run.png
  • peteed1985
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sobern wrote: »
    I'm modeling a torii gate and need to expand the pillars that are slightly slanted.

Her are pictures :
    Before : yWaGQPh.jpg
    After : FsjfEv1.jpg

I want the selection from which I am extruding to follow the same angle as the pillar (green arrow) and not go straight down (red arrow), i've tried using splines, changing the reference coordinate system and the pivot point but nothing of what I tried works.

Please help! :)

If you want a 3D modeling noobies thoughts haha. Doesn't the move tool have settings specifically for world or object or component and the like? If it's set to world it'd go straight down but if its set to one of the others won't it follow the same path as the rest of the pillar?
  • ekul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some hard-surface practice on one of the old modelling challenges on here and had a lot more trouble than I thought I would.

I started from a cube, did the collapse-chamfer circle trick, cut the mesh in half horizontally and went from there. Is this the best way to go about this?
    Some of the holes are also a bit wonky, how would you fix this?

All help is very much appreciated, thanks all!

day1_wires.jpg
    holes.jpg
    holes_wire.jpg
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    I did some hard-surface practice on one of the old modelling challenges on here and had a lot more trouble than I thought I would.

I started from a cube, did the collapse-chamfer circle trick, cut the mesh in half horizontally and went from there. Is this the best way to go about this?

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 954x428.day1_wires.jpg
    wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 954x428.holes.jpg

There is many ways to go about this, you can download a regularize script for Max, or just bringin a cylinder to front view and snap vertices from there, here is another to go about this, hope it helps :

1429457042-voila.png
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    ekul wrote: »

day1_wires.jpg
    holes.jpg
    holes_wire.jpg

Your holes are wonky because you have edge loops running through their silhouette which is distorting the shape. It looks like it's supposed to be an 8 sided cylinder but you've got an extra 3 edge loops running through it making it an 11 sided cylinder.

Just delete the 2 edge loops running through the cylinder and triangulate them off. It's fine to use triangles and N Gons in high poly as long as it doesn't muck up the smoothing
  • ekul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got you, I'll look over the mesh more carefully to avoid simple things like that. Thanks for the help!
  • IllusivePixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IllusivePixel polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys, I've been trying to make something for a project I'm working on, but I'm struggling to figure out how to make a pentagon sphere shape, I think it's called an icosahedron or something like that, basically, it looks like this:
    609070_effd8c52abe69d7f103ec341c644ca89.jpg
    Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I believe Softimage has the option to use one as a primitive, you should check if your modeling applicaion has one, too.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    It's a dodecahedron.

Cinema 4D

Platonic-->Dodeca

XSI

Polygon Mesh-->Dodecahedron

Maya

Polygon Primitives-->Platonic Solids-->Dodecahedron

Others, don't know.
  • IllusivePixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IllusivePixel polycounter lvl 4
    SonicBlue wrote: »
    It's a dodecahedron.

Cinema 4D

Platonic-->Dodeca

XSI

Polygon Mesh-->Dodecahedron

Maya

Polygon Primitives-->Platonic Solids-->Dodecahedron

Others, don't know.

I was on Maya, that definitely helped! Had no idea there was an option for it :P THANK YOU!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made this for a buddy who is modeling a grip for a gun (http://rareantiqueandbeautifulfirearms.tumblr.com/post/85635956966/hafdasa-22-armator-sa-zonda-these-attractive)

gripstripmodel.gif

Start from a shallow cylinder, chop it in half to create the curve on either side, then edge extrude to follow the shape from side view, tweak a bit, and connect.

This is something I've seen a lot of people struggle with, they over-complicate things and try to go in and manually tweak each vert, which is a really messy way to work. Most hard-surface shapes can be broken down into base primitives, so you might as well start from primitives when you can!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shin: Model the base cylindrical shape with enough loops to hold the shape, cut out each panel from that base shape, go from there. Trying to model it all as one solid mesh is going make your life hell.
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Hey guys!

First post in this thread, I would like to know how you would model this shape? I did several try's but I'm still unable to do it correctly.

Thank you for your help!

23409.jpg

151246A034.jpg
    542683B071.jpg
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    So I've been at this for a few hours now and can't for the life of me figure out how I should do it. I'm trying to model this guys hair, preferably in a box modelling fashion to give it a kind of thick look to suit the cartoony style but I'm struggling to come up with a good solution:

LrOzo6c.png

Here's what I have so far for context as too what I'm aiming for:

xpCTrVp.png

(First time I've made a character model, hehehe)
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    hey guys. Been modeling a sci fi gun lately and I'm struggling with a certain part.

YYs7GZl.png

It's the cylinders. How would you actually go about joining them together? I know I could just have them as intersecting geometry, but that seems sloppy. I've never known how to do this sort of modeling with cylinders, so some help would be very appreciated.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    These exact shapes were discussed with images earlier in this thread. Can't remember which pages, so you may have to dig for a few minutes.
  • Dklang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swFUI9p.jpg

how does one make those tiny details? or whats the best way? Is it vital to have exact references first?
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These exact shapes were discussed with images earlier in this thread. Can't remember which pages, so you may have to dig for a few minutes.

Going bakck through the thread trying to find it. Do you know if it was this year?
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    hey guys. Been modeling a sci fi gun lately and I'm struggling with a certain part.

YYs7GZl.png

It's the cylinders. How would you actually go about joining them together? I know I could just have them as intersecting geometry, but that seems sloppy. I've never known how to do this sort of modeling with cylinders, so some help would be very appreciated.

Had a go at this, it was kind of tricky with the triple intersection but hopefully it helps. The key thing with joining cylinders is adjusting the sides to get as many lining up as possible so you won't have to start welding at awkward angles and distorting the shape. Also try and think about where the support loops are going to run so you can have some sides of the cylinder become support edges, rather than you welding to it and having to create a loop on the other side of that, affecting the silhouette.

Qh297uw.png

qcY3UFG.png
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa, thanks a lot for that, Kroma. I'm going to try and recreate what you did to wrap my head around it. Did you initially use booleans or something?
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Yep, the mesh on the left is just lining up some cylinders to get the proportions and segments lined up, the middle is the unsubdivided cage and the right is the high poly. I used booleans to join the cylinders and then some vertex cleanup and edge loops. Glad it helped :)
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Kroma! wrote: »
    I used booleans to join the cylinders and then some vertex cleanup and edge loops. Glad it helped :)
    Booleans are great to block out these shapes.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dklang wrote: »
    swFUI9p.jpg

how does one make those tiny details? or whats the best way? Is it vital to have exact references first?

I recommend polygons. They seem to work well.
  • Dklang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lxt7RBY.jpg

fRg3xAa.jpg

ya but do i use booleans to create these holes or just do one layer the normal way? and see examples above, so many details, are they created as a same mesh or do i do each face seperatly then connect them?
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone gotten much success using crease edge to do bevel details?
  • Colddeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crease edges in Maya was always a gamble for me. Sometimes it'd work great and sometimes I just couldn't get what I was looking for. Partly why I jumped back to 3dsmax for the smoothing groups/turbosmooth.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you demonstrate a bit how the smoothing groups/turbosmooth works, please? Is it similar to creasing in a sense that you don't need to add any loops to get the nice bevel you're looking for?
  • WarrenM
  • Colddeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was referring to exactly what WarrenM posted.
  • Dklang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e wrote: »
    Hey guys!

First post in this thread, I would like to know how you would model this shape? I did several try's but I'm still unable to do it correctly.

Thank you for your help!

23409.jpg

151246A034.jpg
    542683B071.jpg

I found this video useful, shows you how you can achieve complex shapes by starting out with a plane, not sure that can work with a cylinder though: https://youtu.be/iEpGJTSZjS8?t=696
  • Kreativ4ik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello. Please help solve the problem with a preview model. DDO mode. In the NDO model is displayed correctly. Sorry for my English. Have a nice day. [IMG][/img]dbd6ee08a8c5ae61bec77f3a119d0a81.png
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Kreativ4ik wrote: »
    Hello. Please help solve the problem with a preview model. DDO mode. In the NDO model is displayed correctly. Sorry for my English. Have a nice day. [IMG][/img]dbd6ee08a8c5ae61bec77f3a119d0a81.png

Might need to triangulate it before exporting
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hey peeps... So I'm trying to figure out how to sculpt lips. They give me the most trouble!!

They always turn out looking like duck lips >.<
    Left is Ref. Right side is my atrocious lips

OdL1D.jpg

Please help! D:
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Don't think this is the best thread for questions about characters. Try creating a new thread.
  • Surfur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!

so I'm having the toughest time trying to create this shape

kNuJ9n.jpg

if you guys got any tips, i'd love to hear them! I tried to just create it straight on in zBrush, but that's not turning out too great. Tried doing most of it in max with Sub-d techniques but that's not really getting me any where either.
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    Hey guys!

kNuJ9n.jpg

if you guys got any tips, i'd love to hear them! I tried to just create it straight on in zBrush, but that's not turning out too great. Tried doing most of it in max with Sub-d techniques but that's not really getting me any where either.

model it straight plane by plane, with edge draging technique and it will be a lot easier.

If you want to do it in Zbrush you know, you have to play with alphas or standard clays and buildups, then polish it using hPolish or smooth brush.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Surfur wrote: »
    Hey guys!

kNuJ9n.jpg

Viscorbel has some excellent tutorials for this sort of thing. In thwe Free tutorial section check out his tutorial for spline modelling basics and the baroque mirror tutorial. His paid tutorials are worth their money aswell if you can spare the cash.
  • Surfur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Viscorbel has some excellent tutorials for this sort of thing. In thwe Free tutorial section check out his tutorial for spline modelling basics and the baroque mirror tutorial. His paid tutorials are worth their money aswell if you can spare the cash.

Wow. I was not aware that Bevel Profile was a thing. That's pretty nuts. Thanks!
  • mike458
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I want to make this shape.
    I know it's called creasing but even with support edges, with the turbosmooth on it, there are pinches.

What do I need to do to get this ?

l0yiVDV.jpg
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    mOVZ9V4.png
    TxW09oj.png

Something like this should work while keeping it all quads.
  • mike458
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thank you SonicBlue :)
  • Vadim Chekhov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone! Perhaps you can help me advice how to implement the model with the correct topology. I applied bollean to this model, I know that this is not entirely correct.?file_id=00259881627647007983
    ?file_id=00582676092184754454
  • Vadim Chekhov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone! Perhaps you can help me. How can we implement this item with the correct topology. I did it with the boolean but I know it's not suck properly.
    u0GnRPT
    DS3TLOm
    loSvhiV