Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

industrial town alley scene

nicocabbalero
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
nicocabbalero polycounter lvl 15
this is an alley scene for an industrial town i have been working on. any crits and suggestions are welcome.
ScreenShot00036.jpg

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice, lighting seams a touch odd and dosnt quite read, ie not sure what time of day it is
    brick is too simple and perfect, you need some blends, damage, painted sections etc esp water drips and damage off the metal details window sils etc.

the drain pipes are not connected to the wall by anything?

flat colour doesnt work very well for the windows, use an image in the window texture or an image applied to a rough model inside to give a touch of parrellexing
  • nicocabbalero
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks shepeiro. the lighting is meant to be early morning will see what i can do to make that look better any tips. the drain pipes are attached to the wall by semi circular attachment thingys but will make them more obvious. will go back to the windows try out those suggestion been wondering on how to improve them thanks again for the tip.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    There's not really anything interesting going on. Nothing is drawing the eye or telling a story. Hallways/Alleyways are an easy way to show off environment art skills since you dont have to make a ton of assets but you have to work really hard to make it interesting. Currently there's no cool sillouttes or shapes going on.

I agree with shepeiro that the lighging could use some work. You didn't specify what engine you're in so I dont know what tech is available. I see a lot of soft lighting but no shadows.

Your blankets don't look like they're hanging "down" It looks like you modeled it horizontal and then tilted it.

Warm and cool tones are a nice idea but they're too abrubt right now. The sky color is too dark and the black particles look really bad blending with the sky. You need something to blend the sky in a little better with your warm bricks. Maybe some subtle fog planes or soft skylighting bleeding onto the top of the walls?
  • nicocabbalero
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks JordanW. yeah should of mentioned i am using udk. will see about adding a focal point. maybe expanding the alley and making the factory the focal point?
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Ok UDK...

You should be able to use a light function on your point lights and have them project the pattern of the laterns, or use 5 small spotlights representing each of the faces emitting light, or use the mesh to emit light. Any of those options will create more interesting light patterns from the lights

Keep in mind you dont always need an object or building to be the focal point. You could have the alleyway turn at the end a bright light emit from around the corner, maybe even have a characters shadow or something projected to give something interesting to look at.

Since you're in UDK, your scene is lacking some lighting contrast, turn diffuse boost in world properties down to 1 or 2 if you havent already, this will keep lightmass from bouncing too much light.
  • nicocabbalero
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks jordan will try those suggestions. i may also change the the angle of the dominant directional light its pretty much horizontal at the mo
  • nicocabbalero
    Offline / Send Message
    ok another small update.
    finally got some spare time so can get this finished any crits are welcome!
    update2.jpg
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    looks much better!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    use reference for your lighting
  • Timothy_graybill
    I like the scale of the first angle you used. maybe you could stack some more buildings behind the factory to make it seem even more epic. or maybe like the blurry gearsofwarj.jpgsilhouettes of buildings
  • nicocabbalero
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys. yeah I think will add a few more buildings or chimneys in the background. as for lighting I am aiming for an mid-morning look any tips would be appreciated.
  • Envelope
    Sky looks really green and is contrasting with alley color way too much. If you really want a morning feel, start by looking at TONS of pictures of mornings. Pinks and soft blues.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gardenfreak/2972188403/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/plasticbag/2160940308/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sierraphoto/3012541359/
    Mist: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11470244@N07/3377845384/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/slightlynorth/1532995527/

Looks like your post fx are a bit too colored for now. Maybe off scene effect and try to achieve what you want with lighting only first. Then manipulate the postfx color if need be :).

Keep it up. The last iteration looks a lot better.

J
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    The greyish building on the left side could use a much rounder edge for the corner of the building. The types of stone it has for the texture would not be sharp at all, and since that part is a focal point, I think you should revisit that.

Textures are sharp and with a few color adjustments as people have mentioned this will turn out great!