Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Severalls inspired hospital wing and props.....overgrown/derelict blah blah

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Trevelyan . polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone, I started this a looooong time ago, but due to commitments at work taking up much of my time (Lego City: Undercover art dump coming soon!) I've had to pick it up and put it down constantly...

This is my first ever Cryengine project and so it's been a learning experience, I hope that as well as some useful critique I can ask some of the resident Crysis experts for some tips along the way to the finish line!

I based the original blockout on an image that I found online...I chose not to use any more images of Severalls than just this one, I wanted to let my imagination expand upon it.

Severalls psychiatric hospital was designed so that a network of interconnecting corridors joined the wards....this is one of those corridors, that leads to the children's ward or, "Circus Ward"...

Anyway here are the images, starting with the main reference I chose:

1600x1200.jpg

I've not spent much time at all composing these images, I really just wanted to dump quite a few so that you guys can get a feel for what's going on, anyway, here goes:

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

There's a lot of assets in this scene too, so i'll post those in here as well as I go, for now here are some shots of the hospital gurney:

** Edit photobucket ran out of bandwidth so I've updated these images with new presentation:

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

Thanks all for checking this out, all comments are most welcome!

Replies

• Mellon3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Mellon3D polycounter lvl 13
    Really cool looking scene!
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Loving this one, that colorful wall is a great idea! It looks really, really nice. Also does the foliage! And I like that overall style and feel this scene has to it.
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice scene, love the dislodged bricks and the drawings on the walls.
    Only complaint would be the turquoise fog which feels a bit too present maybe.
  • St.Sabath
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 11
    Oh yes Matt,this is going to be fantastic!
  • TheMeekon
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMeekon polycounter lvl 10
    Looking great Matt, only another year to finish it now!
  • davinciman
  • philhowlett
    Offline / Send Message
    philhowlett polycounter lvl 8
    Looking awesome Matt!
  • Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks for your responses guys, it's a real motivator! At the moment i'm doing bits and bobs in my lunch break at work and writing a list of things to try to tackle at the weekend, so any suggestions/critique you have i'll try to blast through then! :)

@ Mellon3D - thanks man!
    @ Fenyce - Thanks, yeh the wall mural was born from the Children's Ward idea and thought it could add some interest and colour to break up the green of the foliage, glad you like it!
    @ Bal - Hey thanks for the compliments! I actually tried to edit the fog last weekend but the DB manager won't let me open my edited particle effects :( I might need to google it this weekend, but you're definitely right, they need to be toned down
    @ Davinviman - thanks buddy
    @ TT Fusion homies - Cheers guys, still a little more to go, feedback and critique appreciated!

Just one more image so that this post isn't just text...i think I might add ivy/foliage to this back wall...maybe have the door open slightly too:

1600x1200.jpg
  • AbKI
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    Hah, I used to work near Severalls. This is really cool, love the mural.
  • underfox
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    fantastique work, very inspiring, it has this " the last of us " feelling. Really great.

congratulations.

PS: I can't believe we had the same avtar idea :P
  • walklikethis
    awesome stuff dude... especially that brick work where the bricks pop in and out where the direction signs are. Fantastic :D
  • dropkick287
    Offline / Send Message
    dropkick287 polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, I haven't seen environment work like this in a while. I love how you are working from a real reference and adding your own take into it. Very impressive work.

It would be cool to see some more cables and wires throughout some areas. It will look really cool to have all your environments have more wires and flexible cables hanging from the torn up ceiling, and some on the floor. And have some come out of broken conduit tubes.

Overall, this is some solid work and I can only hope to one day be parallel to this caliber of work.
  • Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for stopping by :)

@ AbKI - thanks man, glad people are liking the mural! Shame you didn't get a chance to explore the place while you worked nearby - bet it's full of great reference!

@ underfox - thanks bud! Yeh the last of us is a great inspiration, such a beautiful game. Heh, yehhhh I like your avatar! Great minds think alike hey ;)

@ walklikethis: Thanks for your comment, heh placing those bricks was painstaking! They're all over the place too, once they're placed say goodbye to altering your wall UVs that's for sure...

@ dropkick287: Hey thanks for the compliments! You have nice work on your portfolio too I see, I like your take on the dishonoured building - keep going! That's a great suggestion btw, to add more cables and wires, it should help break up some of the harder shapes - next update hopefully!
  • Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, just a few shots this lunchtime of some tweaks to the water shader...played with the fresnel controls and the placement of the environment node...I have some issues I wonder if anyone can help me with:

1. Screen space realtime reflections? My water is made with the cryengine watervolume...I'm right in thinking that SSRF isn't supported by this and that only cubemaps are possible here?

2. Is there any way at all of having the pool in my scene reflect my environment in real time, perhaps using another method?

3. I see videos all the time on youtube of SSRF on water...how is this achieved?

Any help with these or critique in general on the water shader/look is greatly appreciated! This is my first project with this engine so still a lot of features i'm not familiar with :)

** Removed fog in these shots until I can fix it's opacity

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg
  • nathanbarrett
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    That wall with the kid's paintings is seriously awesome! How did you do that?
  • Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    No updates for a few days, I was hoping to get a lot done this weekend but unfortunately the Lego World needs me as well and i'll be putting in some extra hours at work, buuuuuut hoping to post some updated shots on monday if I can squeeze in a few hours on it!

@ Nathanbarrett - glad you like the mural, it's really nothing complicated, just a tiling texture with some alpha overlays here and there :)
  • Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    Weekend update - Finally given the whole scene a pass on the specular values...I was relying completely on the daylight system in Cryengine previously, but have now added 3 broad specular lights in the scene and adjusted my shaders to suit...

Also blocked out a sprinkler system on the roof (shaded black) and added more foliage to the support pillars

Changed the time of day here to show off the specular a bit, though the sky colour at it's highest point is still a little too blue for my liking:

All comments welcome! Cheers :)

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg
  • Budello
    Weekend update - Finally given the whole scene a pass on the specular values...I was relying completely on the daylight system in Cryengine previously, but have now added 3 broad specular lights in the scene and adjusted my shaders to suit...

Also blocked out a sprinkler system on the roof (shaded black) and added more foliage to the support pillars

Changed the time of day here to show off the specular a bit, though the sky colour at it's highest point is still a little too blue for my liking:

All comments welcome! Cheers :)

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

PRO! I really like environment and lighting, you've really a good taste!
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Specular looks nice, through I liked that old mood better (lighting, color and so on)
  • AbKI
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    Looks amazing, great job. :)

There's something about the signs that looks a bit out of place though, I don't think they match the worn-out and grimy look of everything else in the scene, they're a little shiny perhaps.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Loving this, nice work!
  • Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for checking out the thread!

@ Budello - thanks, glad you like it so far, still lots to go!
    @ Rhoutermans - Thanks buddy, hope you stay tuned for more updates :)
    @ Fenyce - hey glad you like the specular update, left it far too long before paying it some attention, don't worry about the lighting, it'll go back to the old scheme, this was just to give my eyes a rest and to show of the specular updates a little
    @ AbKI - Thanks for your compliment, you're right about the signs, looking at them in those shots the spec values still aren't right...I might give the texture a revisit to and dust it up a little further, well spotted :thumbup:
    @ Tits - lol your username had a few of us laughing at work, it's straight to the point, no messing around, just 'Tits'...ha, anyway, glad you're liking it, just saw your Ellie project - really did a great job, nice one :)

I'll hopefully get a good update this week, or next weekend, am hoping to put in some bunting at the far end as well as perhaps a banner for the Childrens ward as well as finishing off the sprinkler system...then i'll be after some serious crits before finishing up! :D
  • Dazz3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    Enjoying this one, especially the roof, great work man :)
  • spectre1130
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    I love those lilly pads. Wish I could help on the water thing but I'm a udk noob kinda-especially crazy shaders like that.
  • linkov
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    loving these brick walls!
  • SirSpangles
    Offline / Send Message
    SirSpangles polycounter lvl 4
    really nice man, Id like to see a poly count on that stretcher
  • ikblue
    Offline / Send Message
    ikblue polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice environment ! it's full of details and nice foliage! I really like the multiple elements in the broken roof (metal, wood, cement).
    I would just say I prefer the previous lighting with a more top-down direction. Your waterlilies don't seem to be lit by the sky animore which make sense with such a big hole in the ceiling. Also having the brightest part of the picture on the upper part of the wall doesn't seem right.

Keep on the good work :)
  • Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks a lot for checking out my thread :)

@ Dazz3r - ahh the roof was painful to do as it affects the shadows cast on the scene greatly, glad you like it!
    @ spectre1130 - Hey thanks, they kept cropping up in my pond reference so had to include them, no worries about the water, i'm much happier with it now so think ill leave it
    @ linkov - thanks man, i'll post up some high poly images of the bricks if people are interested
    @ SirSpangles - hey I have a wireframe of the gurney, i'll post it up for you, it's about 8k if I remember rightly as there are lots of spindly parts to the frame I wanted to include.
    @ Ikblue - Hey, thank you for stopping by, I've really enjoyed reading your thread about the excellent lighting work on Remember Me - wish we could have employed similar cubemapping techniques in LegoCity:Undercover, your reflective materials look great!...Thanks for complimenting my environment, the last lighting shots I posted were just a quick change to show off some specular changes to the materials, a few people have mentioned they definitely prefer the original scheme so i'll be switching back to that for my next update - ill also try to to put more thought into the lighting and camera composition for my final shots :)

Next update hopefully coming this weekend! Thanks everyone for watching and contributing :)
  • lavizh
    Offline / Send Message
    lavizh polycounter lvl 8
  • Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, managed to get some further work done this weekend, I wanted to grab more screenshots but it's late and i'm tired :S Here's what i've done:

- an old sprinkler system to add some more interesting shapes towards the ceiling
    - re-arranged the lights and added a new damaged one that lies in the water
    - edited the shaders on the debris in the pool so that they have vertex painted moss
    - finally experimented with the track view editor and depth of feild (alot of fun!)
    - Restored the lighting.

I've yet to upload any high poly shots of the brick walls i've done which a few people have asked for but i'll pop some up this week hopefully!

All comments, questions and critiques most welcome! Nearing the finishing line :)

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg
  • mats effect
    This looks great man. Its been a massive inspiration to me on my current project. Planning to do any break downs when its done? :)
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    It is indeed looking awesome. Love the new focus shots.

A break down would be sweet.. :)
  • blinKX10
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
  • Dazz3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    Those sprinklers! Very inspiring mate.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    This is just amazing :) congrats
  • AbKI
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    Looks amazing. :)
  • metrons
    everything is gorgeous, would love to see this lit at nighttime (spooky childrens hospital)

+ to the bricks please! very curious how you did your bricks, reminds me of the bricks in crysis 3 (also incredible) please post any screen shots or your process for having the bricks like that! would be very helpful. just an incredible scene. cheers.
  • Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks so much for your comments and interest in the thread, seeing people enjoy this and commenting on it motivates me to take the time to post pics, which i'm usually too busy to do heh...

@ mats effect - thanks a lot! I'm glad it's helping you get some ideas for your own project, I just snuck a peak and am looking forward to seeing how you develop it further :)
    @ Lankus Maximus - glad you like the focused shots, learning how to use the depth of field has opened up a lot of new possibilities for cool closeups
    @ BlicKX10 - cheers dude!
    @ Dazz3r - Hey thanks, they were a lot of fun to do, very quick but added some interest and good opportunity for dof use too - I have a high poly shot, though it's nothing too special, so i'll post that too
    @ AbKi - thanks man :)
    @ Metrons - Yesss i'm glad someone else wants to see it at night, I scrub the timeslider every now and then and the nighttime tod I set up does look spooky...I've got an emmisive shader too that i'd love to put on one of the lights for fun - though in their condition i'm not sure they'd still have any power lol.

If there's enough interest in the bricks or workflows for the scene in general I might try to take time to do a little document with some more shots, breakdowns, and engine workflows, maybe a little pdf if people are interested?

Didn't do much with the high poly, since it's only small, but here's a shot of the sprinkler and the modular pipe bits in a funky arrangement, more updates soon!:

1600x1200.jpg
  • metrons
    people are interested! we all love a good brick.

the sprinklers look awesome btw, looks like they were fun to make.
  • Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Metrons, thanks for watching, yeh setting up the scene on the whole is great fun, but it's always nice to go back to making a standalone prop like these sprinklers - nice to sub d model too rather than just zbrush as with a lot of the other stuff :)

I've been putting in the extra hours at work these past few weekends (as per usual lol) so i've not been able to work on the scene, plus a new toolchain at work has also fudged my master maya file for this and i've not had time to fix it yet, soooo anyway, here's just a few more close up shots I messed around with this evening...oh i'm planning a load of high poly images of the models I made for textures, like leaves, bricks, ivy, etc etc so that should be fun, stay tuned and thanks a lot for your comments, really appreciate it! :)

layered shader detail:

1600x1200.jpg

Damaged roof (you rarely see any of this so thought it was worth a shot):

1600x1200.jpg

Fern texture detail, ha, you know you have issues when you're modelling individual fern leaves in high poly:

1600x1200.jpg

Hose extinguisher wall mount:

1600x1200.jpg

Some broken glass, with little rain drops on them...thought it looked nice:

1600x1200.jpg

More images to come...then eventually I will retake and tweak all of these for my final images!
  • CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Oh wow, amazing o_o I love all the little details!
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    Can you vertex paint directly in Cryengine ? I mean like UDK ?

Can you explain why you decided to go with CryEnigne over UDK ?

Thx
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    amazing detail of work- loved that you went all out on the old sprinkler details. ** thumbs up **
  • LiquidSpacie
    This is hell of amazing work man. Those shots are amazing! Any chances of making a 12-pages long breakdown like the maker of Quixel did with his Abandoned apartment environment?
  • Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for stopping by :)

@ CougarJo, thanks man, there are lots more little details to be put in yet, just got to decide on some final compositions

@ Ehsan Gamer - unfortunately you can't paint directly in the Engine, however you can get a shader that works directly in the maya viewport and so you paint the layered shaders there and then export to the engine, very quick and easy.

@ Serriffe - hey thanks, i'm glad people like those sprinklers, they were a rush job really over a couple of lunchtimes at work, but they were a lot of fun to do!

@ Liquid Spacie - Hey thanks for your compliments, glad you like it. I think I will do some kind of breakdown doc if people are interested, i'm not sure it'll be 12 pages lol as i'm putting in loads of overtime in at work atm, but i'll get some useful information in there i'm sure :)

Thanks everyone, more to come soon!
  • LiquidSpacie
    Cool, can't wait for new screens and tricks you use! Keep up the good work and good luck! (:
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    loving these detail shots, looking good ! :) I feel like some of those tiles on the roof could be broken tho, they're a bit too clean too. Big inspiration overall :)
  • Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, i've gone a little while without posting due to commitments at work keeping me from any major updates, however i've been noodling away, tidying up the minor issues here and there as well as integrating people's feedback :)

I've just been playing around with lots of different camera angles, close ups etc, hoping that if I take enough images i'll be able to select around a dozen final shots to further work into. But I post all images I take here, none are really final, but hopefully they give everyone a better idea of what's in the scene etc

@ LiquidSpacie - thanks for watching, new screens below!
    @ Rhoutermans - Thanks for the comment, yeh some broken tiles would be cool on there, I might add some in a bit later

Here are some updated screens and i've also got some high poly brick shots i'll post at lunch time, thanks all!

Oh one more note, all shots need more DOF...enlarging the images in Cryengine seems to lessen the effect on output...

Door closeup, thinking of having shots like this to highlight the props in the scene, rather than separate marmoset shots:

1600x1200.jpg

1600x1200.jpg

I like the bricks in this shot, though I need more DOF on the foreground:

1600x1200.jpg
  • mats effect