Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Illustration

[Riot Art Contest]-Katarina

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
wizo polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys!

Here is what I have been up to in the last two weeks. I wanted to give katarina a 80s style skin, so I put the whole the clash discography and pushed out a few ideas, I've had a few sketches and restart the Point of view a couple of times, here is what I got for now, focusing on the character layer
pretty much done:

final :

slabreche_riot_contest_katarina_final.jpg

older:
riot_compo00_wizo.png

old:
wizo_riot_rev_00.png

For now, the rendering is stylized and a bit cartoony but as I work my way to a final illustration that might change. I'm all ears for crits and things that would make the whole thing look better, always looking to improve my work, thanks in advance !

Replies

• StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great Simon! I dig the overall colour scheme you've got going on :icon60:
    You've really hit you're mark with the 80s style skin theme. I like it! Not much from me in the way of a character layer critique

Maybe just have quick look at the left leg? -Comparing the rotation of the knee that's turned outward, to the ankle rotation that's turned inward on the foot.
    Usually you'll find that wherever the knee points to, the foot will follow to do the same and vice-versa.
    If you like the foot position, angling the knee in (more towards the camera) and down a bit to create some overlapping forms with the thigh and calf area, would work nicely to solve the angle issue.
    Minor stuff really, when looking at how badass the whole character is!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the background.
    It's early, but judging by the way she's posed... it almost feels as though you have her ready to ambush some poor soul who's walking down an alley, or maybe coming out of a door? Can't wait to see what you come up with!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    yo Stephen!

Thank you so much for that help, very good point about the left leg, I have pulled the knee in a bit, I think it does feels a bit better now, not too sure If it is fully fixed yet, let me know what you think : ) .
    In any case I will keep that area in mind as the piece progresses.

----UPDATED ABOVE

done a first color and comp pass. I am looking for advice to see if it is working okay for now. On anything really ; colors, scene action, ideas etc.. thanks!
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice additions, I like where you're going with this! That discman :icon60:

Regarding scene action::
    Her pose implies she's leaning back abit.
    It'd be great to see this reinforced into the image (by means of her leaning against something like a tree/boulder/ or any obstacle of your choice).
    It'll help to sell the idea that she's taking cover from the enemy in the background, or about to spin out of cover by pressing off of that back foot to unleashing her blades of fury ambush!

About the leg::
    I'd hate to bother you anymore about it.
    I feel like if you do intend to revisit it.. try playing around by scaling up parts or the entire leg. Also, applying as much foreshortening on the leg going back into the distance, as you have for the other foot coming towards the camera would help to create a balance. -As well, it'd be a great trick to add depth & a dynamic to her

• wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    StephenVyas:

thanks again for the great feedback!
    Did some changes so that it looks more like she is taking cover, I am still playing around with the whole thing,especially the face I wasn't too happy with. I will keep foreshortening in mind and try to push the pose a bit further in detail in a future polish pass. I've committed to some of the pose/action going on but I already feel I've learned tons with this. Thanks again for taking some time on help out on this, I appreciate it a lot!

Riot_research_comp_02.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work, Simon! Truly:icon60:
    She really feels alive and belonging in this scene

An quick idea regarding contrast:
    At the moment they're both standing, however If you were to translate the other character down abit..in the back ground crouching in the weeds..
    It'd help convey a stalking 'feel' to him, as well as strengthening her eye contact (head angle) with his silhouette.

An Action idea:
    By the way he's looking, it seems as though he already has an idea of where she is.
    It'd be great to see him actively engaging already (Rather than having two characters being static). As if we, the viewers, came in to the picture right at the peak moment of the action scene.
    He could be firing. Blasting chunks of bark and debris off the tree -Flinging it towards the camera. Which would afford you to use a nice trick or cheat to make your character stand out more or 'pop'. -By using the colour from the blasting, you could create a rim light on her body where there would be no way to do so before..

The icing on the cake on all this is...that smile.. or smirk you have for her. It reflects & represents how she's cool and calm even under extreme pressure and danger

Just a couple ideas anyhow, that'll be all from me.
    Love what you're doing here! Keep up with the awesome
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    hey stephen, thanks again for those great tips, I've tweaked the characters posing more going out of the weeds attacking. I feel too like it makes a lot more sense that way!

gettting there ...
    Riot_comp_03_simon_labreche?dl=0
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    big shoutout for the support stephen! those tips helped me so much with this illustration, it really made a difference.

As for the design , made tons of last minute changes but next time, will have a better defined plan for what is happening, making sure everything is locked down in lineart for example. Tons of fun and pppretty much done with this, can't wait to see all the awesome art!

wizo_riot_contest_01.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn Simon, that's some nice work....Congrats on finishing a kickass entry!!!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    thanks man , part of the credit goes to you haha!
    I am still trying to push it a bit further, I've taken some photoref as a ref layer to improve the face structure .
    hope it is better this way.

wizo_riot_contest_03.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :icon60: I'm liking the face- it's lookin good.
    The adjustments you've made definitely had a positive result!

If you're still looking for ideas...
    The left side of the mouth droops a tad too much, resulting in the left side of her face to look a bit paralized. The right side looks great though.
    By raising the leftmiddle ->to left corner of the lips, this should help. Try using the parallel line of action with her nose as a guide-rail.(the invisible line that runs underneath her nose, connecting both nostrils).
    She'll still retain the smirk you have for her, without going into a full blown smile.

The eyes:
    To convey a devious, coy, & playful attitude...you *could also try squinting the eyes by raising the bottom eyelid a bit. It'd go hand in hand with that great smirk of hers.
    Reason being:: When animating a face, usually when a character smirks...the cheeks push upwards resulting in the bottom eyelid moving up a bit (Changing the curvature of that bottom lid to go from convex to concave .. or vice versa)

• wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    stephen - yoyo!! sure

always looking for ideas, especially if it makes the pic better, and it is so well explained, I had to jump in and try it out!

Here is a first expression tweak I've got time to do before heading out to bed, might go back tomorrow with a fresher mind and see better how far everything is pushed, thanks a million. litterally. (i will be poor after this competition)

expression.gif?dl=0
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    alright, final for real,

submitted pic :

slabreche_riot_contest_katarina_final.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :icon60: Beauty
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Came out great! I like your colors and the loose style works for the 80s I feel