Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• vector_meche
    Working on concept for an drow ranger's dragon bow :)

p11acYztj

PS: I love to work with details in anything I do... not sure if this is a good quality for 3d modeling dota2 items...
  • Waddell
    Well, this is what I ended up coming up with. I've submitted it to the workshop and I'm going to get to work on the next 3 forms.
    CEAC61759D732EBDA28A71A8F73C24EA97F2A750

Edit: Does it normally take a while for submitted items to show up under the "Most Recent" sorting?
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    I think you went a bit off with the roots on the shoulder....they kinda look like ropes now, unless that's what you're going for
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys,months I don't touch 3d so I wanted to do something to get back into it,I decided for a Crystal Maiden hairstyle (my favourite character btw :) )
    For now I have 80% of the blockout,got to fix some shapes in it,then later as a friend suggested I'll split the thing into subtools and work it properly.
    Let me know what do you think :thumbup:

NXDyk2r.png
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    Pior, GhostDetector, K-PAX: Thanks guys :)

Kimono-esque cm outfit awaiting comments and crits :P
    The staff is way generic and the front skirt is optional
    I don't know were I was going with this :/
    40f031b226.jpg
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Vovosunt wrote: »
    Pior, GhostDetector, K-PAX: Thanks guys :)

Kimono-esque cm outfit awaiting comments and crits :P
    The staff is way generic and the front skirt is optional
    I don't know were I was going with this :/
    40f031b226.jpg

GREAT! :thumbup:
  • vector_meche
    Nice job on hair cut and hands but skirt and boots should be reworked as a japanesse kimono or something similar to upper part , or you can use some ice crystals in combination with snow on boots hmm...
  • Waddell
    motenai wrote: »
    I think you went a bit off with the roots on the shoulder....they kinda look like ropes now, unless that's what you're going for

Yeah. I was going for twisted vines, but the more I look at it the more I see rope now. Rather than continuing to fiddle with the fourth form for now, I'm going to make the third and apply the feedback and changes at a more fundamental level, and then propagate the changes back to the fourth.
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    @Waddell Yeah, agree with what's been said. As Pior mentioned before, it needs some design work. The idea is there, but I don't think it's refined. In addition to the 'rope', this is what's throws it for me...

268x268.resizedimage

This is a good example of how important design is when there are tech limits to follow. Yes, the texture sizes are small, but you have to design around that to achieve a better result. I'm sure you did put the effort in, but the result just doesn't show it.

@Vovosunt Nice idea, not sure how the rigging would go for those sleeves though, might be tricky.
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    wow, great work on cm there :D somehow it gives me the witch/sorceress feel though, not kimono girl (which is great imo), but, why is there a ribbon on her neck :| ? dont you think it's a bit modern ?
  • agito666
    the long sleeve... i used to made on Lina set before, and because the sleeve don't have bone there... i wonder how it will looks like when comes to casting spell animation.....

(i guess it will be weird as fuck XD)
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza: thanks :)
    vector_meche: Those are base models... you can't change them...
    danpaz3d: hehe might look quite funny indeed. Design fail I suppose XD
    quockhanhlk: I just felt she needed something on her neck. The ribbon is one of the things I tried out.
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    @Vovosunt It's not a fail, I don't think it's impossible to do it, Necro has huge sleeves so I guess if someone can get a similar visual result for CM, then it could work!
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Running a little low on ideas at the moment, but I guess that's the sculpt done!

8dLJnys.jpg
  • teabiscuit
    Offline / Send Message
    teabiscuit polycounter lvl 3
    @Vovosunt: We tried making long drapey sleeves for our cm frost point set too, but ended up having to ditch them because of rigging problems. Necro has huge sleeves, but it works for him because he mainly keeps his arms parallel to the ground... Need to check, but I think he might even have bones for it. Anyway, we found that it moved pretty unrealistically, and jutted out straight behind her. You might be able to get it to work for you (rigging/positioning tricks and magic!), but you should definitely make a quick test to see it in game.

That being said, this concept excites me. :P Love the entire back view and the staff.

@Snowstorm: That sculpt is coming out great!
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    @Snowstorm: Love it. Would be so kind as to share your matcap? Just wondering what is going on with the headpiece?
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Snowstorm, that's looking really promising ! It seems like there is a cohesive theme and story going with it, very cool.
  • Alismuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Dayum that's a sick sculpt Snowstorm!

I'm wrapping up this one for ES

nhhiFI6.png
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Working on concept for an drow ranger's dragon bow :)

p11acYztj

PS: I love to work with details in anything I do... not sure if this is a good quality for 3d modeling dota2 items...

try to avoid the thin detail on the bow, that doesnt read very well in game, also check if you have enough texture resolution for the asymmetry

the idea of using the dragon is really nice =] good luck
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ali this is perfect ! Very fitting.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @Snow
    Nice sculpt, as for ideas, maybe you can paint in some designs on the chest piece when it goes into texturing.

@Alismuffin
    It looks great but perhaps add some AO shadows in the circled area
    F9XlOVf.png
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I'm glad you guys like it.

MdK wrote: »
    @Snowstorm: Love it. Would be so kind as to share your matcap? Just wondering what is going on with the headpiece?

I'm so tempted to copy pasta what Jeremy said in his thread here :P I basically did the same thing trying to emulate him. No idea what extra steps there are to achieve the look he has, but I think it looks sufficiently cool on its own.

http://imgur.com/YC2Bhb3

I basically messed with all the sliders of the skinshade4 and framer1 (or was it 4?) matcaps until I figured out what they did and then pasted them into a doubleshade matcap. The colouring is done by upping the colorize sliders and selecting the appropriate colours for the different shades. Then I upped the antialiasing to 4x and rendered it at Best.

As for the helm it's going to be this one:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=172654571

I intend to use the whole item with ratings etc on the new collection.
    pior wrote: »
    Snowstorm, that's looking really promising ! It seems like there is a cohesive theme and story going with it, very cool.

I guess it helped that this was one of the sets I actually had lore written for before I started concept work! This set is actually a remake of this one, so the lore was already done. I typically never write lore except as an afterthought. I've also always had cohesion problems with my set items, so this time round I kept going back to the same motifs and thinking about the lore when making the individual items. Seems to have worked so far :)
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I'm glad you guys like it.

I'm so tempted to copy pasta what Jeremy said in his thread here :P I basically did the same thing trying to emulate him. No idea what extra steps there are to achieve the look he has, but I think it looks sufficiently cool on its own.

http://imgur.com/YC2Bhb3

I basically messed with all the sliders of the skinshade4 and framer1 (or was it 4?) matcaps until I figured out what they did and then pasted them into a doubleshade matcap. The colouring is done by upping the colorize sliders and selecting the appropriate colours for the different shades. Then I upped the antialiasing to 4x and rendered it at Best.

As for the helm it's going to be this one:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=172654571

I intend to use the whole item with ratings etc on the new collection.

I guess it helped that this was one of the sets I actually had lore written for before I started concept work! This set is actually a remake of this one, so the lore was already done. I typically never write lore except as an afterthought. I've also always had cohesion problems with my set items, so this time round I kept going back to the same motifs and thinking about the lore when making the individual items. Seems to have worked so far :)

Awesome thanks so much dude, keep up the good work. I'm not too sure about your helm though. Somehow feel like it doesn't fit the rest of your set.
  • Alismuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks pior :) I appreciate the kind words

Thanks for the feedback GhostDetector! I will work on getting some AO in there.
    I have made it a bit tricky for myself given that the Head of the totem is mirrored down the center whilst the bars go around at 120 degrees apart. It means if I paint AO on the head it will show up on the other side where it doesn't make sense.

WHat I will try is painting it on the actual bar itself, but even then it has different intersections with the head. Ill see what I can magic up :D
  • Noblebatterfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Noblebatterfly polycounter lvl 10
    Just finished anti-mage's set concept. I would like to get any feedback. Looking for modeller. a9d7d3aeb7.jpg
  • Alismuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice concept Noble! Love the asymmetrical shoulders

I just put my thing on the workshop to test the waters :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=348296568
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Snowstorm, I think I got something I am reasonably pleased with, it's slightly different to yours but I now understand the process much better so thankyou!! I see what you mean about Jeremy's sculpts being extra clean now. (This isn't a Dota 2 item)

NncMLjT.jpg
  • ChiZ
    Those matcaps are so cool. They remind me a lot of the soft detail you get/see with some resin sculptures. :)

Edit to avoid doublepost: Anyone having issues with artifacts in Marmoset Toolbag 2.06? It's creating all these little 1 pixel artifacts that look like glitter and screw up bloom effects. It didn't happen before, but it's retroactively applied to my older scenes as well.
  • vector_meche
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    try to avoid the thin detail on the bow, that doesnt read very well in game, also check if you have enough texture resolution for the asymmetry

the idea of using the dragon is really nice =] good luck

Not sure about texture thing err... its my first project...btw should i make the head and wings in 3ds max or just the basic geometry ?
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Agito, danpaz, teabiscuit: sleeves will probably animate wonky :P
    I'll make an alternate design if they don't work :)

Razor is the most frustrating puck of a hero there is.
    I don't even know how did they manage to create a hero that looks
    absolutely the same no matter what items you design for him >,<
    ef9a9429b9.jpg
  • Waddell
    ChiZ wrote: »
    Edit to avoid doublepost: Anyone having issues with artifacts in Marmoset Toolbag 2.06? It's creating all these little 1 pixel artifacts that look like glitter and screw up bloom effects. It didn't happen before, but it's retroactively applied to my older scenes as well.

I don't use Marmoset, but it sounds like you've got 'fireflies', which are typically present in path tracing rendering engines. Basically they're pixels where the colour information hasn't been calculated properly/fully yet. As far as I know, though, Marmoset isn't a path tracer (like I said, I don't use it, so I don't know for sure), so I'm not sure what might be causing it.
  • danpaz3d
  • FlAsHi0Z
    I made a concept art for a set for Sven. This is the first time I made a concept art for anything so criticism would be appreciated. If anyone is interested enough to help me make this into a set, let me know. Again, please be gentle.V68Se9b.png
  • vector_meche
    Zbrush is such an amazing soft geez...Could'nt stop myself from sculpting till morning xD
    exCk82aQp
    edit: as expected lack of tris...got over 700tris for lod1 dragon head when te budget is 350 for whole bow... and i still got the bow and wings geez...
    I have to review my ideas and simplify them to fit requirements err :(
  • Assembler13
  • ChiZ
    danpaz3d wrote: »
    I'm in love with this! :poly136:
  • Aitnar
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys , just updated my second magnus set into the workshop , drop a like if u wish
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=349443391
    637x358.resizedimage
  • vector_meche
    Still working for an drow ranger bow.
    I removed the physical handle due to design... do valve approve such magic ? o.O
    p1rvF3OXp
    Edit: Found solution, now lets hope I wont pass the tris budget -_-''
    f0JwRRNrp
    Got confused...I need to make 2 topology ? for high and low poly? I saw ppl only doing the low poly but Ive got over 2k faces here... masks are also separately for high and low poly?
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »
    Thanks Snowstorm, I think I got something I am reasonably pleased with, it's slightly different to yours but I now understand the process much better so thankyou!! I see what you mean about Jeremy's sculpts being extra clean now. (This isn't a Dota 2 item)

Welcome!

As for the helm, I'm gonna wait till the colour maps are done for the items before I decide if it's really necessary to redo the helm or not. I'd rather not, but if I've spent all this time making the rest of the set it'd be a waste not to give it a proper finishing touch. I designed the rest of the set with the helm as a base, so it shouuuulllld fit.

Still working for an drow ranger bow.
    I removed the physical handle due to design... do valve approve such magic ? o.O

Edit: Found solution, now lets hope I wont pass the tris budget -_-''

Got confused...I need to make 2 topology ? for high and low poly? I saw ppl only doing the low poly but Ive got over 2k faces here... masks are also separately for high and low poly?

I can't quite tell if the 2 topologies you're referring to are LOD0/LOD1 or are really what we call high/low poly. High poly has no polygon limits. There are 2 types of low poly - LOD0 and LOD1. Low polys are limited between 250-1000. LOD0 has a higher limit and is used for the showcase view. We make both and bake the high poly details into the LOD0/LOD1. All textures, masks, normal maps are the same for both LOD0 and LOD1.

That bow you have now is only suitable for high poly. From that you still need to make the 2 low polys for LOD0 and LOD1.

Masks are only for low poly. Technically you only need to make the low poly. We use the high polys to generate textures and normal maps for the low poly and for marketing, that's all. The high polys are never submitted to the workshop or used in-game.

Most of us do the topologies something like this:

1. make a high poly with no limit in Zbrush or modeling program.

2. make either LOD0 or LOD1

3. make LOD0/LOD1 (which ever you didn't make) from the model you made in 2.

4. bake details into either LOD0 or LOD1
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Do you guys also have a problem with workshop that after voting on all items from queue your directed to blank page instead of one stating that you voted on all items and you can generate new set of items? It is really pissing me off. Another thing is that i cant find anything on new workshop. Items are mix to such degree now that i don't even like browsing it anymore :/
  • vector_meche
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    I can't quite tell if the 2 topologies you're referring to are LOD0/LOD1 or are really what we call high/low poly. High poly has no polygon limits. There are 2 types of low poly - LOD0 and LOD1. Low polys are limited between 250-1000. LOD0 has a higher limit and is used for the showcase view. We make both and bake the high poly details into the LOD0/LOD1. All textures, masks, normal maps are the same for both LOD0 and LOD1.

That bow you have now is only suitable for high poly. From that you still need to make the 2 low polys for LOD0 and LOD1.

Masks are only for low poly. Technically you only need to make the low poly. We use the high polys to generate textures and normal maps for the low poly and for marketing, that's all. The high polys are never submitted to the workshop or used in-game.

Most of us do the topologies something like this:

1. make a high poly with no limit in Zbrush or modeling program.

2. make either LOD0 or LOD1

3. make LOD0/LOD1 (which ever you didn't make) from the model you made in 2.

4. bake details into either LOD0 or LOD1

Thank you for sharing! You saved me a night from googling :D
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Konras wrote: »
    Do you guys also have a problem with workshop that after voting on all items from queue your directed to blank page instead of one stating that you voted on all items and you can generate new set of items? It is really pissing me off. Another thing is that i cant find anything on new workshop. Items are mix to such degree now that i don't even like browsing it anymore :/

Yeah I had that yesterday. I'm finding for some of the items that pop up the Yes/No doesn't really apply. I've had things like "Ultimate Bulgaria Extreme Dota 2 Cup". It's just a ticket image, no information and not really much to go on. Usually just do the old "Ask me later"
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Finally published S4 Magnus set I was working on with Madzia and Automedic.
    SFM Video for the set was created by Lozeng3r.

I was not able to publish any wip as I was working on it but I made small imgur album with WIP and design screens I found interesting :)http://imgur.com/a/5Vs09

And now the set itself:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=350264030
    CprDEUw.jpg

I do hope you will like it :)
  • Alismuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras that's awesome! So much work put into the presentation too
  • Thnk
    Offline / Send Message
    Thnk polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys, started working on a Puck set. Wanted to make something that would stand out so I figured i'd try focusing on the dragon part of him more than the faerie.

Still pretty early and kinda sloppy WIP, but its enough to get the idea across.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts, worried I might be stepping a tad to far outside of the box lol.

YE1lmtE.gif

and game angle
    xXvrhRU.gif
  • Thnk
    Offline / Send Message
    Thnk polycounter lvl 5
    Also, does anybody know if Valve made alpha planes on puck double sided?
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    alpha planes in source are single
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Baddcog wrote: »
    alpha planes in source are single

There's a .vmt command that makes them double sided though, and it is activated on certain heroes like Storm Spirit.

Most heroes don't have it activated though so you should just assume you'll need to copy the faces and flip them yourself when budgeting the polycount.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    @Konras: Best loading screen ever, also nice set :)

@Thnk: very solid design, i like a slighly evil Puck. I don't know how much is the polycount, but looks like you'll have to do some tricks for some of those smaller elements.