Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jacobethan Style Fountain WIP

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
metalliandy interpolator
Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates...But fear not, all is not lost!

Here is a fountain that i have been working on over the past week. ^^

Its about 85-90% done modelling wise so far as i have still got to add some new bits and refine what i have currently, before i take it into Zbrush.

th_Fountain_WIP8a.jpg

Any comments and crits. would be awesome :)

Replies

• PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Looks pretty cool. It's a little hard to tell what the scale of it is. My only critique would be to maybe widen the gaps between the bricks so that you get more shadow and contrast in there.
  • Sliterin
    Offline / Send Message
    Sliterin polycounter lvl 11
    It's looking nice, but you should try to give more details for bricks in max. It's look like you see eat3D fountain tutorial (base of your work is on same plan), so try to do something more like:
    fountains.jpg
    It will look more interesting.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks for the comments guys!

I forgot to say that the main ref i used for this piece was the Charlbury Fountain in Oxfordshire.

@PredatorGSR
    I can see what you mean about the scale issue...i will render out something with directional lighting later, which should help.
    Im going to add more gaps between the brinks during the ZBrush pass as i wanted then to be more organic, so no worries there :)

@Sliterin
    Thanks for the kind words and the paintover ^^
    I still have lots of detailing to do (like the bricks), but much of that will be done in ZBrush, as so far this is all in preparation for that step :)
    Im definitely going to add things like water spouts, metal bars etc. along with some more stuff like in your paintover.
    I wanted to get the whole basic shape done before i start focusing on small details, but they are definitely on the list! (along with some larger detail work on the Middle-Top part)

Thanks again for the crits guys...its really appreciated!
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey all,

Here is another small update where i have started to add some more intricate parts :)

I still have quite a few bits to refine (the triangular pieces on the arches need to be scaled as do the small pillars that connect the arch to the top middle trim)
    Also im thinking about making a vaulted ceiling for the inside, which i think will look rather awesome.

th_Fountain_WIP9.jpg

Comments and grit would be great :)

Thanks for looking!
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey all,

Just a small update :)

I made the vaulted ceiling and added some curved bricks that run across its edges, which will have some detail work sculpted on them later...i was also thinking about making a more decorative centre piece to give it all a little more focus.

Still wip but worth some crit i think :)

Thanks for looking!

th_Fountain_WIP10.jpg

Im tinkering with the idea of creating a separate, larger base section, to give the piece a more distinctive silhouette, so that prob. next on the list...What do you guys think?
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the "weight" of this piece, just looks like a strong design, really looking forward to more man :)
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    There was a founting like this near my flat last year and I really wanted to model it! Yours looks spot on so far and I could recognize the style, weight and scale of everything about it instantly! nice work!
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks for the kind words guys...i really appreciate it :)
    Im having a blast with this piece and will definitely get some more posted soon!
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Nice stuff so far man, keep up.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Cool work metalliandy :)

I really like the overall shape of the fountain, but I've noticed that all your edges are really hard. Try to make the bevels slightly bigger; that should make it look better and easier to sculpt.

Also, the bottom looks a little bit strange; the lowest row of bricks doesn't match the shape of the column next. It makes it obvious that you’re using floating geo - you should try disguising it a little bit more.

Also, try to avoid making AO only renders; it's really hard to judge the model this way as it doesn't show the curves of your object properly. Try a 3 point light system with Xconvict's material setup.

Other than that; cool modelling. I will be creating a fountain in a similar style soon, so it's always nice to see how other people tackle it.

Keep it up :)
  • undoz
    That's nice!
    I like the rendering a lot. What did you use?
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,

@[HP]
    thanks mate!

@teaandcigarettes
    Thanks for the crit :)

Do you mean this part?

th_Bricks.jpg

I was thinking about making the base of the pillars have the same profile as the bricks (much like the top of the base section with the trim)...do you think that would work better?

Im doing all the renders in Octane, which is an unbiased GPU renderer as its real fast and allows a very smooth interactive display...im going to see how i can improve the rendering a bit more and see if i can sort a HDRI with a 3 point light setup...that should work :)

@undoz
    Thanks for the kind words!
    I used Octane...its so awesome :)
  • Billabong
    Offline / Send Message
    Billabong polycounter lvl 15
    In my opinion, this is your best work yet Andy, good job man and keep truckin

-B
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,

Here is another update :)

I have started blocking out the base, refined the arch top pieces, added some diamonds to the crowns and changed the profile of pillar bottoms.

th_Fountain_WIP11.jpg

Im started to get stoked at the prospect of sculpting this now...its going be sweet!

Comments and Crits. would be great!

(p.s im still working on a better render :P)
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Can't really think of any crits so far, i think this is a great start. It'd be nice to know what kind of game you think this would fit into! Realism or fantasy, really looks like it could go either way right now.

Hope you're going to bake those window bars onto an alpha, or they're going to eat up a LOT of tri's ;).

Keep the updates commin, this thing looks fun.
  • HellMark
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Wow out of nowhere this sexy glass of milk! Looking great Andy. No crits just keep going! :)
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    nice work andy!
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,

@B,
    Thanks for the compliment mate!

@Crazyfingers,
    My first instinct is always to say fantasy, as i defend the genre with terminal intensity, but i guess we will have to wait and see!
    Thanks for the kind words :)

@Mark,
    Surprise! :P
    Thanks mate :)

@Joe,

Thanks mate! one aims to please :)
  • doeseph
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great, what application are you using? And where for art thou wire frames?
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks doeseph!

Everything is created in Blender 2.49b 64bit and i will be sculpting it it Zbrush :)
    I will try to get some wires for you soon!
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,

@doeseph
    Im trying to get some good looking wire shots for you but am having trouble getting anything that looks halfway decent.
    Im currently taking a screenie in ZBrush and then desaturating and adding a levels in PS but unless i use a HUGE image everything is really blurry.
    I guess i will have to break it all down into smaller sections and then do a composite later...that or export it again with no Subd active.

If anyone knows of a great way to get some good wire shots in Zbrush that would be awesome!

Anyways...Here is another update!

I have added some spouts above the fountain bowls and added a spire to finish up the top...though you cant see it in the render very well, so for the moment i give you Generic Default ZBrush Material Screenie™!

th_Fountain_WIP12.jpg th_ZB_Spire.jpg

Im considering making the centre section a huge bowl rather than having it flat like it is currently...what do you guys think?

Any comments and crits would be sweet!
  • A.Kincade
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    This is turning out pretty sweet. Keep up the good work.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,

I think this will prob. be the last update before i start sculpting (unless a show stopper crops its ugly head :P)

I have added the large centre bowl, along with some outlets that connect to the spouts and have gone through all the bricks and trim sections and tried to add a little irregularity by spacing them out a little more, rotating them and generally moving them around a bit so that they are not just perfectly uniform any more...hopefully this will make the normal and AO maps read much better :)

th_Fountain_WIP13.jpg

I think its already had quite a good effect so far ^^

Any comments and Critique are most welcome!
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,
    Update time!

Here is what i have been doing in my cave since my last post.

There is still much to do but i think the sculpting is off to a good start.

th_Fountain_Sculpt_wip1.jpg th_Fountain_Sculpt_wip2.jpg

Any comments and crits would be great :)
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey all,

Everything on the pics above are a little out of scale with each other, so i thought i would post some larger shots of the fountain and pillar bits.

th_Sculpt_wip3a.jpg th_Sculpt_wip3b.jpg th_Sculpt_wip3c.jpg

Thanks for looking :)
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,
    Still some clean up required on these but man i love the Formbrush...makes this kind of stuff must faster :)

th_Sculpt_wip4.jpg
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Nice details man!
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
  • A.Kincade
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9

th_Sculpt_wip4.jpg

This is sexy. Cant wait to see it textured.
  • sampson
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    nice - did you get the alpha's off zbrush site, somewhere else or make your own?
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments :)

@AK
    Me too! :P

@sampson
    They are scanned from a book, cleaned up and processed a little to make them a bit more suitable for use.
    When im all done with this asset i will post em online for the community to feast upon as they wish. ^^

Right, on to the juicy bit...

I have tried to make the whole thing pop a little more, though in some parts i think the overall effect may be a tad too strong...i will take look with fresh eyes tomorrow.

th_Sculpt_wip5.jpg

Crit on this would be awesome :)
  • Ben Apuna
    That's really nice.

I hope you will have enough texture res to bake in all those great details.

I think it's pretty cool that you've got different sizes of detail so that shapes will be visible from far rather than just being reduced to noise, then as you get closer the smaller details will pop out too.
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    thats is some beautiful sculpting! My goal over the summer is to learn Zbrush and this is most definately inspiration :D:D
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys!

@Ben,
    Thanks for the praise man!

I think i will have to go pretty high res. texture wise, as there are so many pieces to unwrap, but im not really sure how high yet.
    I will have to do some test bakes to see what i can get away with :)

@SaferDan,
    Cheers :)

Im glad my wip has given you some inspiration!
    I promise you wont regret learning ZBrush!

Until last year i used to do all my sculpting in Silo and there is such a world of difference.
    Once you get used to the interface, ZBrush becomes so powerful its crazy...i really dont think i could live without it now.
  • bbob
    Oh this is looking great, no crits from here, only anticipation..
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,
    Just a small update for the moment :)

I have applied the same treatment to the main front plaque as i did to the corner plaque so it reads a little better.

th_Sculpt_wip5b.jpg

I did a quick normal bake onto some simple geometry just to make sure i was getting the results i wanted and so far i think im on the right track.
    Each HP mesh was decimated in ZBrush to 150k and then baked in xNormal onto a massive total of 16 tris. ^^

Here is the result in Marmoset

th_Sculpt_wip5c_Normal_test.jpg

I have to admit...im pretty stoked with the result :D

C+C would be great
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    its really impressive. id like to see an accelerated vid of you sculpting. lol
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    its really impressive. id like to see an accelerated vid of you sculpting. lol

Thanks mate :)

As it happens i have recorded most of the sculpting and currently have 10GB of videos sitting on my drive :D
    When i finish the ZB pass i will try to get the vids on Vimeo or something :)
  • Diwan
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Woah, 16 tris and thats the bake? I'm really stoked with your progress aswell! Man how do you bake ure stuff in xNormal? I can't get such good results like yours.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks Diwan :D

Yea 16 tris...i promise!

I didn't do anything special really...i guess the geometry really lends itself to baking.
    The LP is just in front of the HP with the ray distance set to 0.5 and that's about it im afraid...no magic tricks or anything (im saving that for later :P)
    I also bake at double res for AA, resize in Photoshop, add an unsharp mask at around 40-60 (sometimes a little more if needed) and then do a levels on each channel if needed also (this time it didn't)

Hope that helps :)
  • imb3nt
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Really awesome work! I'm looking forward to seeing it all put together with those super clean normals hard at work. Keep it up!
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks imb3nt!

I did a few more tests with LODBias in UDK and the map still holds up well even when using a high LODBias, so i think after some minor touch-ups im going to call these pieces done :)

I should be starting the LP over the next few days, which is going to be awesome :D
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    wow andy, you're really having fun with the detailing. The bake looks nice too--the detail holds up well.:)
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks Joe :)

Im pretty stoked with the whole thing so far :D
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,
    Just another small update on a couple of bits i have been working on today.
    Both still need some refining in places, but i think they are getting there!

th_Sculpt_wip6b.jpg

• Flava-Fly
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Really looking forward to see you pull this all together man, its looking really nice piece by piece! Keep it up!
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks Flava-Fly :D
    Only a few pieces left to sculpt now!
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey guys,
    I bring updates!

I started the top arch today, which is a real nice part to sculpt as there is lots of space for the relief which enabled me to experiment a little more with a few different brushes that i haven't really used previously.

Also, after looking at the triangle piece with fresh eyes, i decided to tone down the large dents as i realised it made the edges look a little wobbly.

th_Sculpt_wip7b.jpgth_Sculpt_wip7a.jpg

:D

Any comments and critique would be fantastic!